Is it okay to leave in a GPU unpowered?

jagdtigger

Hi all.

So my PC is cooled by a hardline water loop but i dont want to dismantle it until i tested the new card and got a block for it. Is it okay to just leave it in there with power unplugged?

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Hi all.

So my PC is cooled by a hardline water loop but i dont want to dismantle it until i tested the new card and got a block for it. Is it okay to just leave it in there with power unplugged?

If it's still in the PCI-e slot, your computer is most likely going to try to set that as the default graphics adapter and thus, you'll run into issues. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

39 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If it's still in the PCI-e slot, your computer is most likely going to try to set that as the default graphics adapter and thus, you'll run into issues. 

Great, so its a catch22, maybe i have a molex to pci adapter but IDK if its a good idea.... My PSU has two cables with two connectors, but the new one need 3 (sapphire nitro+ vega64) and the old has two(r9 290x).

50 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Great, so its a catch22, maybe i have a molex to pci adapter but IDK if its a good idea.... My PSU has two cables with two connectors, but the new one need 3 (sapphire nitro+ vega64) and the old has two(r9 290x).

Ive had it work before for me that so long as the display adapter is plugged into the card you want to test that it could be fine. Either way shouldn't hurt the system all that happened to me when I forgot that was a boot message saying to check my cables.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

Okay this is interesting, i read on a review that the nitro+ variant has 3 power connectors, but my card has only 2, maybe sapphire changed their mind or something? Oh well at least now i can plug this  beast in without much hassle... :D

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

If you leave out the power cables, the video card will complain to the system during POST and likely won't allow the computer to boot.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you leave out the power cables, the video card will complain to the system during POST and likely won't allow the computer to boot.

Okay its a no go then, i keep that in mind. It seems i wont get away without draining the loop anyway. The damn flow rate sensor is in the way... :(  Now i need to order some soft tubing(no way in hell i gonna start bending acrylic again, i dont have that much time).