AMD tells 8086K Winners to trade in CPU for TR 1950X

4 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Yeah I would trade it in ASAP. You know AMD should make a trade in program. Trade in your Intel CPU to get a discount on your next AMD product. I would do it

This is genius. Do you know how many Haswell cpus they'd get? 

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

This is genius. Do you know how many Haswell cpus they'd get? 

God that is brilliant - I'd send that old 2600K in for a 2600 any day

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I mean couldn't I just ask for a check for 480 bucks? Since I would still sell the threadripper, buy the 8086 and call it a day anyway since there's literally no use for a 1950x if I was thinking of an 8086.

The reasoning is, even if every one of those 40 people turned around and sold the 1950x, that would still mean there's 40 additional Threadripper systems out there.  Brand recognition is a powerful thing, that's why Intel is still so dominant in the industry.

"We appreciate the advancements they’ve helped drive with the x86 architecture over the last four decades. But, we’re ready to take it from here"

I mean they're not wrong, Zen2 with 4.8+ GhZ and 8 (more plz amd) cores at $300 will be the SHIT. Might drop my 8700K for Ryzen 3 if we get mainstream 10/12 cores.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I would rather they wouldn't do stupid promotions that make no sense, yes.

I mean couldn't I just ask for a check for 480 bucks? Since I would still sell the threadripper, buy the 8086 and call it a day anyway since there's literally no use for a 1950x if I was thinking of an 8086

Sorry I evidently do not have the cosmic fucking brain required to understand why would I want a workstation CPU to replace the gaming one I just won, just write em a check and keep the 1950x in stock for someone who'll actually fucking use em.

Really? Are you this perpetually sandy (you know where I mean) all the time?

I would definitely take the deal, but I think AMD could have done a little better. Intel gave away over 8k of these cpus, the same amount as the model number. AMD tries to be funny with the comeback, trading 40 of the 8k to commemorate 40 years of x86. Except that over 8k of the winners still get the Intel CPU. AMD should have made it open to all 8k people to trade or given away like 1950 TR1950X's. 40 CPU's is nothing in comparison and makes them look shitty as it's obviously to grab headlines at a negligible cost.

Edit:
So intel gave away $3.4m USD in CPUs (at retail price = 425)
AMD is trading $40k USD (retail MSRP = $999) in CPUs

One is a huge giveaway, one is a "fuck you" to intel that isn't even that good.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

It would be Nice If they drilled a hole into them and made them into key chains to send back to them.

They'll do a colab video with YouTube creator of "Does it blend"? with 40 8086s.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

They're not that different.

The 8700K directly competes with R7, and the 1950X is literally just two R7 dies. Same clocks, same features, but double the cores, double the RAM channels, and more than double the PCIe lanes. So the gap in gaming performance is akin to the gap between R7 and the 8700K, not between a Xeon and the 8700K. It's the same system of tradeoffs as always.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Efilnikufesin said:

Really? Are you this perpetually sandy (you know where I mean) all the time?

he's not wrong though.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

26 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

he's not wrong though.

He's not right, either. An 8086K is not a purely gaming CPU, it's not unreasonable to assume that there are at least 40 people out there that got one wanting it for a personal workstation, or that they're just enthusiasts that want new toys, that can't afford to buy something new every two weeks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Swatson said:

I would definitely take the deal, but I think AMD could have done a little better. Intel gave away over 8k of these cpus, the same amount as the model number. AMD tries to be funny with the comeback, trading 40 of the 8k to commemorate 40 years of x86. Except that over 8k of the winners still get the Intel CPU. AMD should have made it open to all 8k people to trade or given away like 1950 TR1950X's. 40 CPU's is nothing in comparison and makes them look ****** as it's obviously to grab headlines at a negligible cost.

Edit:

One is a huge giveaway, one is a "**** you" to intel that isn't even that good.

Remember though, Intel is a massive company, whose marketing budget alone has surpassed the entire operating income of AMD at times (maybe still).  Plus, AMD is just finally digging out a massive financial hole, and only now turning a profit after years in the red.  You're right that this doesn't cost them much (even less than your estimate, since I imagine their actual costs are about 1/10th of the retail price), but they can't afford to be giving away over 8,000 Threadripper processors, even if they could budget it.  They'd rather be selling them and making a profit on the chips.  This is just a marketing stunt (albeit a clever one) to get some headlines and generate some interest.

I would probably have done it, then sold it, and then bought R7 2700x or waited for the Zen 2 version. I don't need that many cores, couldn't have spent the left over cash on other computer parts.

I am not in US tho so wouldn't be an option...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Some nerd would want that unopened 8086K...after 15 years or so.

You know me so well. Haha

There are many that would. I wouldn’t trade it myself; but AMD are making a pretty nice offer. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

9 hours ago, Swatson said:

I would definitely take the deal, but I think AMD could have done a little better. Intel gave away over 8k of these cpus, the same amount as the model number. AMD tries to be funny with the comeback, trading 40 of the 8k to commemorate 40 years of x86. Except that over 8k of the winners still get the Intel CPU. AMD should have made it open to all 8k people to trade or given away like 1950 TR1950X's. 40 CPU's is nothing in comparison and makes them look shitty as it's obviously to grab headlines at a negligible cost.

Edit:

One is a huge giveaway, one is a "fuck you" to intel that isn't even that good.

You’re right, but who got the better value for money for marketing? ;-)

7 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

You’re right, but who got the better value for money for marketing? ;-)

Probably intel with the 8046 people they just ensured will be using their top of the line gaming chip

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I wonder what AMD's going to do with these processors. Tear them apart and analyse what intel does, maybe? If thats the case, thats really shady.

Lets just hope this is a publicity stunt and nothing more

1 hour ago, LoganTNZ said:

I wonder what AMD's going to do with these processors. Tear them apart and analyse what intel does, maybe? If thats the case, thats really shady.

Lets just hope this is a publicity stunt and nothing more

If AMD wants to analyse an Intel processor, they’ll simply buy a couple dozens of them. They don’t bother setting up such a campaign for that ;)

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

works like magic on AMD systems though xD

(timestamp 7:49)

"to get the best experience with optane you're gonna need to use a AMD platform"  :P

I'd soooooooooooo do it.

Why? Because heavy metal, f*****s

Spoiler

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold