Power surge detected, despite "very good" PSU?

Go to solution Solved by OrionFOTL,

ASUS Anti-Surge always freaks out by itself and false-positives, you can go ahead and disable it.

5 minutes ago, TsunamiOne said:

Also, is XFX reliable?

This question is impossible to answer, but the XFX PRO Black Edition 850W power supply is reliable and good.

Hello again LTT community,

A friend has been experiencing random crashes alongside the classic "Power supply surges detected.. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered.." 

35186133_10156889025082323_7664285774396784640_n.jpg.ab0cd536c108bcaeb66ab1c3076a94ed.jpg

• Operating System
  •     Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • CPU
  •     Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz    61 °C
  •     Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
  • RAM
  •     8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 670MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • Motherboard
  •     ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155)    27 °C
  • Graphics
  •     3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (EVGA)    36 °C
  • Storage
  •     111GB SanDisk SDSSDX120GG25 (SATA (SSD))    29 °C
  • Optical Drives
  •     ATAPI iHAS124 
  • Audio
  •     Realtek High Definition Audio
  • PSU XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

The crashing is extremely random and difficult to replicate, leading me to believe Anti-Surge is just derping here (as it appears to do so for many others). Ill be turning it off via bios later this week. Anything I should be aware of when doing so? Also, is XFX reliable?

Cheers,

TsunamiOne

ASUS Anti-Surge always freaks out by itself and false-positives, you can go ahead and disable it.

5 minutes ago, TsunamiOne said:

Also, is XFX reliable?

This question is impossible to answer, but the XFX PRO Black Edition 850W power supply is reliable and good.

usually false positive , but do check the mobo's capacitors & see if they're not overblown or inflated looking , also test another psu to see if it's from just that PSU alone. plus look for any interfering metal contacts in between mobo & case other than standoffs.

Details separate people.

I used to get this error on my P9X79. I got tired of it and disabled it 5 years ago. Been good since then.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

On 18/06/2018 at 3:46 PM, OrionFOTL said:

Good to know we can rule out the PSU. Cheers for covering everything.

On 18/06/2018 at 5:18 PM, Tech_Dreamer said:

usually false positive , but do check the mobo's capacitors & see if they're not overblown or inflated looking , also test another psu to see if it's from just that PSU alone. plus look for any interfering metal contacts in between mobo & case other than standoffs.

Will thoroughly re-inspect the mobo. Performed an initial inspection which indicated standoffs are installed but could not verify this 100%. 

22 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Before I even opened the topic, I saw the title and knew the culprit was Asus Anti-Surge xD

You would think they'd have sorted it out by now but nope close to a decade later (or longer?) still a pain in the ass -_-

4 hours ago, Tam3n said:

I used to get this error on my P9X79. I got tired of it and disabled it 5 years ago. Been good since then.

Reassuring to know those who have attempted this are still operational after all these years. 

Thank you all for the assistance :)

Good day Kind sirs of the internet. 

I bring forth  a bump to this topic where I too am experiencing this issue. First off Specs

Asus z170-a PRO motherboard 

i7 6600 CPU
Evga 980ti 

Corsair CMPSU - 750HX powersupply. 

Within the last month, every time i launch any game (pubg, quake, doom... even Heaven Benchmark), the system restarts and prompts that - "Power supply surges detected.. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered" 
Step 1 - Ordering a new PSU - 
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W - Problem persists 

Step 2 - Change my UPS and surge protection - problem persists.

Step 3 - Change my MOBO - ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO - PROBLEM PERSISTSSSSS.... Sigh... 

Step 4 - Disconnected everything in my system except CPU FAN and Pump (corsair H60), even disconnected hard drives except for SSD which hosts the O/S. Still getting the problem. 

Step 5 - reinstalled every game. Still nothing. 

Here i am on my knees asking for help.. HELP! The only thing left to do is replace the GPU which, at current prices, is gonna kill me... I am in fear that even after purchasing a new GPU, that the problem still persists. I really am at wits end with this Pc. 

If anyone could offers some help or guidance, that'll be very much appreciated. 

- I'm so torn... 

If you build it, they will.. errmm.. ask you to build one for them..  :mellow:

Read the other posts - just disable Asus Anti-Surge, as it gives false warnings. Your rig is fine. You spent so much money on replacing all these parts for nothing. 

20 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Read the other posts - just disable Asus Anti-Surge, as it gives false warnings. 

Hi. I did this. When i run a game (PUBG) the screen turns white and the system becomes unresponsive. Hard rebooting is the only solution. Thank you though for your feedback, very much appreciated.

Has anyone ever experienced such an issue and is it possibly  related to a GPU?  :(

The screen turns white and system becomes unresponsive, even with Anti-Surge disabled? That's definitely a problem with the GPU - it's the most plausible option.

oh dear.... deaarryyy me... thanks for the feedback. I'm attempting to find someone with another GPU that's willing to help me test. If i'm successful i'll update my post.