3D workstation build (8700k vs 2700x)

2700x vs 8700k  

5 members have voted

1. 1. 2700x vs 8700k

• 2700x

Hey everyone,

I have been reading all over the internet and watching videos and comparing benchmarks and I have yet to find out anything really solid. I am planning to upgrade to threadripper 2 when it comes out and will most likely repurpose the mobo/cpu at that point.

A lot of the programs I use from what I have read, lean on single core clock speed. On the other side of it, I am often running multiples at the same time (photoshop, unreal, 3ds max) and going in and out of each of them. This is where I feel like I would see a benefit from the extra two cores on the 2700x. I rarely render out from 3ds but I use vray when I do. Saving time on renders would be nice, however, with the threadripper system coming I can always just offload the rendering to that machine in the future so I am trying to not let just the render times sway me too much. I am mostly concerned about getting the best from my computer while running a few different programs with the ability to both game (vr, vr sim racing, some FPS) but also handle rendering and some light video editing (not done often, but 4K from a Sony a7rii and a few 360 cameras as well). If I went the Intel route it would give me the ability to run a hackintosh as well, however, even as a long time Mac user, since that is not the main purpose of this machine I am viewing it as a potential perk and not a motivation. 

To sum it up I guess I’m looking for the most well rounded cpu between the two, or if there are any red flags on one or a clear reason why one is better that I’m just missing. As the 3D creation is “work related” I would prefer to keep the system away from CRAZY overclocks, etc. and budget wise I would like to stay right around the price I’m at. 

Parts owned:

corsair vengeance 3200 8GBx2 (can go to x4)

GTX1080

750 G3 psu

samsung 860 500gb

8TB red internal (most storage done on local server)

NVME upgrade coming soon

software used:

3ds max (some vray)

Unity

Unreal

Photoshop

Lightroom

Photoscan

If there is anything else I can provide to help explain my use case, let me know!

The 2700X is significantly better at workstation tasks, as it boasts 8 cores and 16 threads to the 8700K's 6 and 12. You'll see much better render times with the 2700X and it still boasts impressive performance in other types of computing. 

Cryptocurrency hobbyist! xD

Currently mining Ethereum at 180 Mh/s with 6x GPUs.

Currently buying Stellar Lumens (XLM) and Tron (TRX).  

Currently pumping with Big Pump Signal.

1 hour ago, RedwoodAyy said:

The 2700X is significantly better at workstation tasks, as it boasts 8 cores and 16 threads to the 8700K's 6 and 12. You'll see much better render times with the 2700X and it still boasts impressive performance in other types of computing. 

I'm most worried about the creation aspect as the rendering can be done on the threadripper machine when the new chip comes out. This may not change your response, just wanted to be extra clear on that. :)

1 minute ago, SteveHolt said:

I'm most worried about the creation aspect as the rendering can be done on the threadripper machine when the new chip comes out. This may not change your response, just wanted to be extra clear on that. :)

Yeah, I got you :D But still, you will see increased responsiveness and overall more performance in content creation with the 2700X. The 8700K's main appeal is gaming.

Cryptocurrency hobbyist! xD

Currently mining Ethereum at 180 Mh/s with 6x GPUs.

Currently buying Stellar Lumens (XLM) and Tron (TRX).  

Currently pumping with Big Pump Signal.

5 minutes ago, RedwoodAyy said:

Yeah, I got you :D But still, you will see increased responsiveness and overall more performance in content creation with the 2700X. The 8700K's main appeal is gaming.

Awesome, thanks for the input! That makes sense to me, especially with the multitasking aspects of my current workflow.

Bump to see if there are any other opinions.

mods: is this the right place for this question or should it be over in build planning?