RGB Power and HDD indicator LEDs

felix920506

My motherboard and GPU both have RGB. but the power LED and the HDD LED are both white on my mastercase pro 5.
I want a way to control my power indicator LED and the HDD LED with the RGB header on my motherboard.
What do I need and how should I do it?

Those LEDs on cases are 99% of time single color lights.

So no, you can't change their color unless you swap them to an RGB LED.

3 minutes ago, NMS said:

Those LEDs on cases are 99% of time single color lights.

So no, you can't change their color unless you swap them to an RGB LED.

What do I need to swap them?

1 minute ago, felix920506 said:

well, RGB leds and a way to control them. either through a controller board or by soldering them into something that can plug into your mobo header.

Just now, felix920506 said:

Well for starters, you need to know how much power does that particular LED require (probably contact Cooler Master for that) so you could replace it. If you can't find a LED that matches, you'll need to do some tinkering with soldering and stuff.

Here's this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/ppcs-dc5v-diffused-round-hat-rgb-led-with-ws2811-chipset-inside-5mm-f5-8mm-f8-neo-pixel-arduino-led-chips-rgb-full-color.html

The power and hdd activity leds are provided by the chipset/motherboard and can only provide a low amount of current, something like 5-10mA and it's a basic signal, on or off.

So you can replace the led on the case with any led of any color, and the motherboard will simply send a low amount of current to the led to light it up.

You can replace the leds on the case with programmable leds but like i said, the signal is simple power on and off, so especially with the hdd activity led, the power will go off and on, resetting the rgb led to some default state, unless the controllable led has some enable pin you could use (to keep it always powered through separate wires, but use the signal from the motherboard to just enable or disable the output)

You can use a RGB controller and power the two leds separately from the rgb controller, and again use the signal from the motherboard just as an enable or disable output signal, not to actually power the leds.