Budget cooler for i5 4460!?

whysomad

I was searching for a decent cooler (better then intel's stock cause of clock/turbo mode and etc) and found couple coolers that are cheap,kinda benefit me and are easy to ship without any "problems" since I live in weird country.

1. Cooler: Cooler Master X Dream i117 (http://deltapcshop.com/artikl/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-x-dream-i117)

2. Deepcool GammaArcher (http://deltapcshop.com/artikl/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaarcher)

3. LC Power LC-CC85 (http://deltapcshop.com/artikl/cpu-hladnjak-lc-power-lc-cc85)

4. LC Power LC-CC94 (http://deltapcshop.com/artikl/cpu-hladnjak-lc-power-lc-cc94)

5. Thermaltake Gravity i1 (http://deltapcshop.com/artikl/col-tt-gravity-i1)

6. Thermaltake Gravity i2 (http://deltapcshop.com/artikl/col-tt-gravity-i2)

edit: KM is country currency,it's double the Euro + gotta pay for shipment.

Now I'm not sure what am I supposed to be looking at when it comes to coolers or how to "recognize" quality as much until I test it myself but since I'm not able to,thought it'd be smarter to post it here and see if I can get somewhat good answers. X dream i117 was suggested to my by one of employees that work at "gaming" company and I took interest in but at same time I saw some "bad" words about it online,not too sure what to think.

Couple of reasons I need any "slighty" upgrade or new cooling overall is that my current one is 5y old even tho it still does the job but the things that connect cooler with MOBO is "broken" and I kinda have to take whole motherboard off and seal the bottom with something so the cooler can actually stay at it's place. Dunno how the "gadgets" on the side that connect it are called but I hope ppl will understand what am I talking about. 

Also I have problems with using turbo mode on processor and a lot of ppl claim it's cause of temperatures and that I need "lower" temps then 50-55° if I want turbo to work (no idea how or what is happening but a year ago multipler worked on x34 and i had 3.4ghz on 2 cores at all times when playing. I tried a lot of things such as turning of "security" mesures such as EIST in BIOS and INTEL XTU. 

My current decision is between i117 and i2 + decent thermal paste (cause one I have is kinda really,really cheap and I did notice a big diff. when it comes to that from Cooler Master to this cheap almost 15-20°C diff,dunno how but.. yea)

I would personally recommend the LC Power Cosmo Cool 95 if it isn't too expensive.

I worked quite well for me and it's better than those other coolers since you can easily change the fan with a better 92mm later on if it becomes loud or anything.

The i5-4460 simply isn't that fast anymore. It won't not turbo higher because temps are too high (wow dat English). 55C is actually quite good for full load temps. It also doesn't turbo higher than the 3.4 you're seeing. If you need more performance, you'll need to upgrade your CPU entirely.

Turbo speeds won't drop before TjMax is reached.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

You will be wasting money to buy those coolers.

Look for a TX3 on eBay.

hi.

Well my long time favorite for cheap air cooler upgrade was hyper evo 212 idk maybe its outdated at this point but a few years ago it was the best and only choice for budget overlocking.

4 minutes ago, Zagna said:

I would personally recommend the LC Power Cosmo Cool 95 if it isn't too expensive.

I worked quite well for me and it's better than those other coolers since you can easily change the fan with a better 92mm later on if it becomes loud or anything.

It's not too expensive but I'm gonna have to order it which sometimes takes months :/ 

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The i5-4460 simply isn't that fast anymore. It won't not turbo higher because temps are too high (wow dat English). 55C is actually quite good for full load temps. It also doesn't turbo higher than the 3.4 you're seeing. If you need more performance, you'll need to upgrade your CPU entirely.

Dunno where did u got "it won't non turbo higher bcs temps are too high" but whatever. 55°C isn't full-load,that's the problem. My desktop temps are going around 40-50°,when gaming (depends on the game) if CPU-heavy it goes to 70°C. Buying a new cpu isn't an option,that little "boost" helped me a year ago (A LOT) cause it stabilized my fps in games such as The division

3 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

You will be wasting money to buy those coolers.

Look for a TX3 on eBay.

I can't order anything outside of country,have to pay double for it cause of some "taxes" or whatever.. Ordered 15$ keyboard,had to pay about 28$ for it,never again. Problem is that I gotta buy new cooler anyway,either one of these or stock intel cause my current one is kinda dead.

5 minutes ago, DemiGod said:

Well my long time favorite for cheap air cooler upgrade was hyper evo 212 idk maybe its outdated at this point but a few years ago it was the best and only choice for budget overlocking.

EVO 212 is more expensive in my country then on ebay so.. It's around 40-50$ which is way too much for me atm. I just need a replacement somewhat.. (edit: Plus I gotta pay the shipment which is about 5-8$ more..)

On 18/06/2018 at 5:50 PM, whysomad said:

Dunno where did u got "it won't non turbo higher bcs temps are too high" but whatever. 55°C isn't full-load,that's the problem. My desktop temps are going around 40-50°,when gaming (depends on the game) if CPU-heavy it goes to 70°C. Buying a new cpu isn't an option,that little "boost" helped me a year ago (A LOT) cause it stabilized my fps in games such as The division

Those are still good temperatures. The CPU shouldn't be throttling, instead it should be boosting.

hi.

Just now, AskTJ said:

Those are still good temperatures. The CPU shouldn't be throttling, instead it should be boosting.

Even tho I might agree,people still claiming I have to have way cooler temps for "turbo" to work. When I'm on desktop cpu hits like 3.35 all cores since I have it unparked but when trying to game,it legit locks onto 3.19,might move a little but that's it. Looks weird on BIOS too,if you know about turbo modes and stuff,I can post a pic of BIOS and explain how should it look like :/

4 minutes ago, whysomad said:

It's not too expensive but I'm gonna have to order it which sometimes takes months :/ 

I can't order anything outside of country,have to pay double for it cause of some "taxes" or whatever.. Ordered 15$ keyboard,had to pay about 28$ for it,never again. Problem is that I gotta buy new cooler anyway,either one of these or stock intel cause my current one is kinda dead.

I'd go for whatever is cheap. Those temperatures are more than fine, though. But maybe you just need some new thermal paste? (Not that the Intel stock cooler is anything to ever be too happy about.)

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd go for whatever is cheap. Those temperatures are more than fine, though. But maybe you just need some new thermal paste? (Not that the Intel stock cooler is anything to ever be too happy about.)

I mean ppl telling me everything is better then intel stock even tho I kinda disagree since it served me very well in past 5 years. Could be the thermal paste but I still do have to buy a new one because of the "gadgets" on the side. And each costs about 2$ which is gonna be 8$ overall + shipment.. Not worth,better buying off new one. 

2 minutes ago, whysomad said:

Even tho I might agree,people still claiming I have to have way cooler temps for "turbo" to work. When I'm on desktop cpu hits like 3.35 all cores since I have it unparked but when trying to game,it legit locks onto 3.19,might move a little but that's it. Looks weird on BIOS too,if you know about turbo modes and stuff,I can post a pic of BIOS and explain how should it look like :/

Turbo works until the CPU hits TjMax (the max temp it's designed for, 100 degrees C). Hate to break it to you, but your CPU is working to spec and there's nothing you can do to make it go faster.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005647/processors.html

For the 4460, boost is 3.4 Ghz 1 core and 3.2 Ghz 4 core loads. Whoever told you about the temp stuff would be correct if you were thermal throttling. You aren't. 

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Turbo works until the CPU hits TjMax (the max temp it's designed for, 100 degrees C). Hate to break it to you, but your CPU is working to spec and there's nothing you can do to make it go faster.

But it never hits 3.4ghz like IT DID before. Literally maybe about year ago (I didn't game too much since then) I was hittin 3.4ghz on 2 cores+3.3 on 3rd core when gaming (played ghost recon wildlands) and it worked pretty fine since it stabled my fps,I wasn't looking for an increase. Here's a pic of my bios: hAckx6f.jpg on "turbo freq" it should show for 2 or 4 cores on 3.4.. You can see it on vids on youtube. 

EDIT: You can see on video that on Turbo freq. it shows 3.4 on all 4 cores. 

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005647/processors.html

For the 4460, boost is 3.4 Ghz 1 core and 3.2 Ghz 4 core loads. Whoever told you about the temp stuff would be correct if you were thermal throttling. You aren't. 

Like said up top,2 cores go to 3.4,3rd to 3.3 and last is on 3.2,but atm non of my cores go above 3.19 when gaming :/

3 minutes ago, whysomad said:

I mean ppl telling me everything is better then intel stock even tho I kinda disagree since it served me very well in past 5 years. Could be the thermal paste but I still do have to buy a new one because of the "gadgets" on the side. And each costs about 2$ which is gonna be 8$ overall + shipment.. Not worth,better buying off new one. 

At 5 years, it's time to redo the thermal paste anyway. 

Deepcool CPU Cooler GammaArcher

Probably go with that one.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

At 5 years, it's time to redo the thermal paste anyway. 

Deepcool CPU Cooler GammaArcher

Probably go with that one.

Oh,not that. I changed my thermal paste dozen times since then :D I clean my pc atleast once monthly and change thermal every 5-6 to 10 months

But it never hits 3.4ghz like IT DID before. Literally maybe about year ago (I didn't game too much since then) I was hittin 3.4ghz on 2 cores+3.3 on 3rd core when gaming (played ghost recon wildlands) and it worked pretty fine since it stabled my fps,I wasn't looking for an increase. Here's a pic of my bios: hAckx6f.jpg on "turbo freq" it should show for 2 or 4 cores on 3.4.. You can see it on vids on youtube. 

Like said up top,2 cores go to 3.4,3rd to 3.3 and last is on 3.2,but atm non of my cores go above 3.19 when gaming :/

You'd need to be running HWInfo or another tracker under load. Also, most games are now using at least 2 threads as standard. Quite a lot up to 3-4. You won't be sitting at 3.4 Ghz unless you're playing CS:GO. However, have you updated your BIOS recently? Could be the issue. Or you need to Reset to Default.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You'd need to be running HWInfo or another tracker under load. Also, most games are now using at least 2 threads as standard. Quite a lot up to 3-4. You won't be sitting at 3.4 Ghz unless you're playing CS:GO. However, have you updated your BIOS recently? Could be the issue. Or you need to Reset to Default.

I have latest BIOS,F2 version,2015. I also have Gigabyte's Application Center that helps you navigate stuff and mess around the bios. 

I did reset to default,tried a lot of things,nothing helped.. That's why I'm getting bit worried :/ 

Running HWinfo while playing a game or? 

Edit: Just for you- I think you're kinda right but it doesn't stay on x34 multiplier,it drops all the time. Bounces around 3.2-3.3-3.4. But my temps when playing csgo is under 50°C. image.png.20ba0db170b696cf63743f2ca2e74dc1.png

I have latest BIOS,F2 version,2015. I also have Gigabyte's Application Center that helps you navigate stuff and mess around the bios. 

I did reset to default,tried a lot of things,nothing helped.. That's why I'm getting bit worried :/ 

Running HWinfo while playing a game or? 

Well, Turbo should only activate under load.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, Turbo should only activate under load.

Ik,that's what I'm saying but it doesn't :D. Atleast when I play other games then csgo that go above 50°C... For example The Division in which even that slight core boost would help stabilize my fps since it drops cause the game is horribly optimized. Running with gtx 960 asus strix. 

btw look at edited comment up top

Well if it doesn't turbo in-game it's obviously a game utilizing all 4 threads. The 3.4GHz turbo only applies to single core and dual core loads. On a 4 core load, 3.2 is the max speed it'll run at.

3 minutes ago, whysomad said:

Ik,that's what I'm saying but it doesn't :D. Atleast when I play other games then csgo that go above 50°C... For example The Division in which even that slight core boost would help stabilize my fps since it drops cause the game is horribly optimized. Running with gtx 960 asus strix. 

Well, I'd run some third-party monitoring software to see what is up. It's possible there is an issue with some sensor, which is causing inadvertent throttling.

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Well if it doesn't turbo in-game it's obviously a game utilizing all 4 threads. The 3.4GHz turbo only applies to single core and dual core loads. On a 4 core load, 3.2 is the max speed it'll run at.

We're kinda going too deep into cpu problem,I still need a cooler hahaha :D 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, I'd run some third-party monitoring software to see what is up. It's possible there is an issue with some sensor, which is causing inadvertent throttling.

Give me an example and I'll do it in couple of games.  have The Crew,Division,Siege,Forest,Hardline to test on and see differences.  (And I appriciate the answers ^_^)

1 minute ago, whysomad said:

We're kinda going too deep into cpu problem,I still need a cooler hahaha :D 

Give me an example and I'll do it in couple of games.  have The Crew,Division,Siege,Forest,Hardline to test on and see differences.  (And I appriciate the answers ^_^)

Wasting cash on a cooler is kinda dumb when you won't get anything out of it. You need a better CPU as well from the look of things. Might want to see if you can snag an i7-4770. 

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Wasting cash on a cooler is kinda dumb when you won't get anything out of it. You need a better CPU as well from the look of things. Might want to see if you can snag an i7-4770. 

Like said,it doesn't matter,I do need a cooler since current one is kinda broken. If i'd was about to buy a setup,i'd be going for i3 8100 since I can get a mobo almost for free. I'm not gonna be changing my cpu til I'm really good with money. Livin in Bosnia is kinda hard,especially if you wanna get a good pc for gaming.