Stock cooler thermal paste second use?

rookie.wanna.play

Do i have to put thermal paste on a stock cooler if i’m gonna put it on another motherboard? Coz i bought a new motherboard from msi and this is my first gaming rig didn’t work as i expected. Everything was lit but keyboard and mouse are not working besides that no cignal on the monitor so i had to issue an exchange. And i can’t reach the bios smh.

yes you have to apply thermal paste on ALL coolers. If you do not, it will overheat your CPU and possibly fry your motherboard.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

Yes. You can only re-use same paste if its good quality aftermarket one and you do it very quickly on same board. Like turning cooler around for example. Or checking the spread of paste.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:31 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes. You can only re-use same paste if its good quality aftermarket one and you do it very quickly on same board. Like turning cooler around for example. Or checking the spread of paste.

but won't that create air bubbles? I re-apply my paste every time I take it off the CPU.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

1 minute ago, Srnewbee said:

but won't that create air bubbles? I re-apply my paste every time I take it off the CPU.

Quality paste doesn't. And with quality cooler. It will re-spread while you tighten it. I did quick switch on previous build from normal mount to horizontal. 0 effect on temps over 2 years of use.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Quality paste doesn't. And with quality cooler. It will re-spread while you tighten it. I did quick switch on previous build from normal mount to horizontal. 0 effect on temps over 2 years of use.

yeah, I mean I do agree. My experience is largely the same but I read so much online about re-applying a new paste so I just follow the protocol of reapplying. Its interesting to hear someone share my experience.

Just now, Srnewbee said:

yeah, I mean I do agree. My experience is largely the same but I read so much online about re-applying a new paste so I just follow the protocol of reapplying. Its interesting to hear someone share my experience.

There's a lot of bullshit in the internet about thermal paste. And other things related to cooling. Source of problem is that some bigger review site or youtuber gives advice and people take it as only way to go.

Let's take 90% isopropyl alcohol for example. If someone asks do they really need that for cleaning off paste, replies are 90% yes its must, you can't do thing without it. While in reality you only really need such measures when cleaning really old paste, crappy paste or paste thats on PCB or somewhere other than metal plates.

Another of my favorites is need for aftermarket pastes in modern days. 10 years ago it was different, but now even stock paste is good enough for general use. If one doesn't mess up install process like me. But if someone is buying budget cooler from Cryorig or CoolerMaster, there still are those who insist that their favorite brand is must addition to shopping list.

And then this that you need to change paste after X years. Usually 2, sometimes 1. When in reality its really needed when changing mobo, CPU, cooler or temps have changed drastically from normal over 1 year. I've had systems running on same paste for years, but for coincidence main system has had paste change every 2-3 years (CPU change after 3 years, CPU+mobo+cooler change after 2, CPU as spare for another build after 2, RAM upgrade & case change after 2). Not once because temps would have been too high.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Another of my favorites is need for aftermarket pastes in modern days. 10 years ago it was different, but now even stock paste is good enough for general use.

I do agree with everything you said but this man. Recently, I used Noctua nh-1 vs some generic crap from Evercool. The difference was around 4degrees celcius. Ah never mind, I read your post wrong lol. I misread "good enough for general use." Its weird, I just feel that everyone overclocks nowadays. sorry.

6 minutes ago, Srnewbee said:

I do agree with everything you said but this man. Recently, I used Noctua nh-1 vs some generic crap from Evercool. The difference was around 4degrees celcius. Ah never mind, I read your post wrong lol. I misread "good enough for general use." Its weird, I just feel that everyone overclocks nowadays. sorry.

4C is enough to consider. But would one need that when just getting into building or for smaller OC? Maybe not. My main issue is that those who recommend, do it without disclaimers. Its just wasting someones money when they might not need it. I'm fine with recommending quality paste, but one should add that performance difference really is under 5C. Usually not even that.

E: And with this I'm kinda self-biased. I've been using Noctua coolers since I first did full custom build. Got a friend with 212 Evo and I've seen that cooler/paste doing just fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

4C is enough to consider. But would one need that when just getting into building or for smaller OC? Maybe not. My main issue is that those who recommend, do it without disclaimers. Its just wasting someones money when they might not need it. I'm fine with recommending quality paste, but one should add that performance difference really is under 5C. Usually not even that.

E: And with this I'm kinda self-biased. I've been using Noctua coolers since I first did full custom build. Got a friend with 212 Evo and I've seen that cooler/paste doing just fine.

completely agree. for non-overclocking use you do not need a quality TIM or aftermarket coolers (unless you want silence). Yeah, youtube and internet forum do perpetuate this unnecessary recommendation all over the place. (I think its a good marketing strategy from companies)