iPhone 6s in 2018: Promising?

I've been considering getting a 32gb iPhone 6s as my carrier (xfinity mobile, their selection is awful but it's the carrier my parents use and as I'm living at home it makes little sense to find a different one) is offering a $200 back deal currently. The 6s 128gb isn't even listed anymore and I doubt I need the extra storage. My research indicates that the iPhone 6s still runs remarkably well almost 3 years after its release and it retains a physical home button and a headphone jack, both of which are important to me. I also doubt I need the extra performance of an iPhone 7 or 8 as I intend to perform only light tasks and I abhor mobile games. However, I could also potentially wait for an alternate better offer. Can anyone with first hand experience with a 6s or more knowledge of iPhones in general give me some advice here?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

I  have one as my main phone. works fine, very few problems. I have no screen protector or case, so a bit or wear marks, but all ports and buttons are fine, speaker fine, and more than fast enough for my use(web browsing, reddit, basic games, messaging)

I use a 6s as a secondary alongside my X - it runs great. Recommend for a cheaper iphone. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I use a 6s as a secondary alongside my X - it runs great. Recommend for a cheaper iphone. 

I'm definitely going for cheaper. :P I'm hoping 32gb storage would be enough, but I've never had a phone so I don't know how much space I'd use.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I  have one as my main phone. works fine, very few problems. I have no screen protector or case, so a bit or wear marks, but all ports and buttons are fine, speaker fine, and more than fast enough for my use(web browsing, reddit, basic games, messaging.

I wasn't sure about the case since the aluminum body is so pretty but at the very least I'd get a glass screen protector.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

1 minute ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I'm definitely going for cheaper. :P I'm hoping 32gb storage would be enough, but I've never had a phone so I don't know how much space I'd use.

I wasn't sure about the case since the aluminum body is so pretty but at the very least I'd get a glass screen protector.

If you can, definitely try for 64 - youll find use for it

32 just requires more focus on your storage situation in the long run

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

If you can, definitely try for 64 - youll find use for it

I'm not inclined to go for the older version if possible, but more storage is not an option regardless: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop/device/iphone-6s-apple?colorName=Space Gray

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

3 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I'm not inclined to go for the older version if possible, but more storage is not an option regardless: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop/device/iphone-6s-apple?colorName=Space Gray

Eh, then id say screw it and just get the 32GB 

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

What other options you got with xfinity?

Here's the list: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop?tab=devices&page=1

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Its not really $200 back if you can only use that $200 as prepaid service

Also you get that only if you pick an iPhone. Suppose the 6S isn't the worst in the tiny selection when the 750p device beats the SE's 640p

To my knowledge that prepaid card is usable for one's monthly internet fee and as money is fungible it comes close to a true cash back. I am aware that the deal only applies to iPhones hence my interest in them, if I could get $200 back on some of their cheaper phones it would be a different story. :P Once all is said and done with the prepaid card (after the stupid 16 week waiting period) a 6s is only $70-100 more than the cheap android phones offered.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

Keep in Mind, since it will get iOS 12 later this year, it will receive quite a Performance-boost with that.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

I can't recommend the SE so go ahead with the 6S. Not that its the best but it makes the most sense in your situation with what little choice they offer.

The small screen on the SE has turned me away for sure. Of course the 6s isn't the best but I'm not looking for the best either for my uses.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Keep in Mind, since it will get iOS 12 later this year, it will receive quite a Performance-boost with that.

Is a new version of iOS bound to help performance that much?

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

40 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Is a new version of iOS bound to help performance that much?

Not in general/always.

But Apple during the WWDC announced iOS12, and showed that they focused on performance, especially for older devices. Faster App launches, up to 100% faster under Load.

Many who tried the Beta on their older device all confirmed, it felt much faster than on ios11.

Usually you don't have that, so it was a pleasant surprise, Apple managed to do that.

The iPhone 6S was and always will be one of my favorite phones in the world. I had mine from December 2016 until April 2018 and it still felt as smooth as the day I got it. It was a remarkable piece of hardware.

I even got it to iOS 11 no problem and didn't experience any slowdowns and whatnot, so all in all, it's a timeless phone. Especially when you consider that it still has that legendary headphone jack.

My one gripe is the camera, it could be better compared to today's standards, but what it lacks in camera performance, it makes up for in general phone performance.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

36 minutes ago, MiNy said:

The iPhone 6S was and always will be one of my favorite phones in the world. I had mine from December 2016 until April 2018 and it still felt as smooth as the day I got it. It was a remarkable piece of hardware.

I even got it to iOS 11 no problem and didn't experience any slowdowns and whatnot, so all in all, it's a timeless phone. Especially when you consider that it still has that legendary headphone jack.

My one gripe is the camera, it could be better compared to today's standards, but what it lacks in camera performance, it makes up for in general phone performance.

The good thing is I'm a bit of a photographer so I have a dedicated camera for my photography needs. :D

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

On 6/20/2018 at 4:36 AM, MiNy said:

Ah I see, a match made in heaven!

Just ordered one in space grey! ^_^ Unfortunately it's on back order for almost a month.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs: