Cooling Help for my new CPU!! (i3 - 8350k)

Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,
10 hours ago, rwelch33 said:

I read up a bit more about H7 and some of them say they're not good enough for a CPU that uses as much power as mine. However, I have been reading so many mixed things I don't know what to follow. Do you believe that the H7 will be fine for the 8350k with no overclocking?

The H7 woild be fine for it even with OCing. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/dominic-moass/cryorig-h7-air-cooler-review/5/

With a 4790k at 4.5 ghz (which should draw a fair bit more power than the stock 8350k) temps are still at around 55C above ambient, or about 80C if ambient is 25C.

You can always increase fan rpm if it's not running cool enough also. I believe the H7 is rated for something like 140w so you should be totally OK.

Hey everyone, so recently I got my hands on an i3 8350k for super cheap, around $100. I noticed it doesn't come with a cooler, so I ordered a Noctua NHl9i. On Noctuas website, it says it is not compatible, but it is compatible with other stronger processors that have similar TDP ratings. I don't plan to overclock, this thing is already power hungry and it comes clocked at 4ghz, so do you think it would be safe to use it or trust Nocutas word? I am stuck!

Here is the site saying so:
https://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

If this is definitely not an option, what cooler could you guys recommend for this CPU? I was thinking maybe a 212 EVO or something? Not trying to break the bank on a cooler.

if you're not overclocking it should be fine. that chip is not on the supported list because it is a K series processor. this means that they cannot guarantee that the cooler will work, since users can directly influence the chip's TDP.

13 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

if you're not overclocking it should be fine. that chip is not on the supported list because it is a K series processor. this means that they cannot guarantee that the cooler will work, since users can directly influence the chip's TDP.

Oh, so it's safe to use as long as I don't overclock? I'm just worried I'll screw something up, new to all this stuff.

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Because there are other processors on that list that are K series and they are supported. Thats why I'm confused.. Is it because the i3 is clocked at 4ghz out of the box?

It should be fine. Are you sure you need a low profile cooler though? If you're not using an HTPC I don't see why you would choose this over a cheaper and better cooler that's a bit bigger.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

It should be fine. Are you sure you need a low profile cooler though? If you're not using an HTPC I don't see why you would choose this over a cheaper and better cooler that's a bit bigger.

My case is pretty small, was gonna get the 212 EVO but its too big. I saw this cooler that I'm asking about, and people said its great.. So I just figured it'd be fine.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Do you have any reccomendations for this CPU that would probably work better? I can still return the cooler I bought, no worries.. But if you think there are other coolers that are a bit cheaper, but better I'm open

2 minutes ago, rwelch33 said:

My case is pretty small, was gonna get the 212 EVO but its too big. I saw this cooler that I'm asking about, and people said its great.. So I just figured it'd be fine.

Just now, rwelch33 said:

Do you have any reccomendations for this CPU that would probably work better? I can still return the cooler I bought, no worries.. But if you think there are other coolers that are a bit cheaper, but better I'm open

What case do you have?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

What case do you have?

Thermaltake versa h15.. I'm pretty sure the max cooler height is 155m

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

What case do you have?

If you think its a better idea, I can easily just return it and go with something else.. I feel kinda sketchy using it, seeing as the company doesn't believe it should be paired together. But honestly I don't know, I'm new to all this stuff. Searching around and found the CRYORIG H7 is a pretty good cooler that would fit my case just right. Know anything about that?

4 minutes ago, rwelch33 said:

Thermaltake versa h15.. I'm pretty sure the max cooler height is 155m

This one's a bit cheaper and should work

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LPVBD3/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i

These two are also decent though they're both 155mm... I'm not sure if that's cutting it close

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hJFPxr/deepcool-cpu-cooler-gammaxx400

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

More expensive but better

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

The L9i isn't ridiculously more expensive so if you don't want to go through the hassle of returning it keeping it should be ok. Up to you.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

These two are also decent though they're both 155mm... I'm not sure if that's cutting it close

The L9i isn't ridiculously more expensive so if you don't want to go through the hassle of returning it keeping it should be ok. Up to you.

I can just refuse delivery when it comes, not a huge deal. I'll go with the H7. Read a lot of good things about it. Thank you very much for your help!

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I read up a bit more about H7 and some of them say they're not good enough for a CPU that uses as much power as mine. However, I have been reading so many mixed things I don't know what to follow. Do you believe that the H7 will be fine for the 8350k with no overclocking?

10 hours ago, rwelch33 said:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/dominic-moass/cryorig-h7-air-cooler-review/5/

With a 4790k at 4.5 ghz (which should draw a fair bit more power than the stock 8350k) temps are still at around 55C above ambient, or about 80C if ambient is 25C.

You can always increase fan rpm if it's not running cool enough also. I believe the H7 is rated for something like 140w so you should be totally OK.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Great. Thank you again!