My GTX 980 Overheats on certain games?

xWingamer

So, for months now my pc has been going blank after playing ark survival evolved and fortnite causing my computer to crash. My guess was the graphics card overheating although I was not sure til I got HWmonitor and speed fan to monitor the heat of my pc. I was able to conclude the temperature of my gtx 980 would go up to a max of 70 C until it would crash while my AMD FX-8350 4.0Gz went up to similar temperatures due to my water cooling most likely, my guess was the radiators being broken, so I replaced one of them to make sure it wasn't the radiator as well as the pump. My guess is that my mother board is at fault because it had a history of overheating and turning off on my old pc in which I upgraded from. But just incase I wanted to ask other people on their opinions. My pc is able to run fortnite and ark for aproximity 1-2 hours while it run games such as league of legends, warframe and tf2. Sorry, I would have more information but I forgot the motherboard name and my power supply is a crossair 650w. My water cooling system has 1 pump and 2 radiators which cools the cpu and gpu

70 C should not cause the computer to shut down. 

I would look at motherboard first. Maybe your VRMs are getting too hot?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Does your GPU waterblock cover the memory/VRM area?

That's an F in the profile pic

The waterblock coves everything. My computer just powers off completely no blue screen, game exits or errors. I am looking into the cpu because Hwmonitor tells me that the cpu is going up to the 70s+ so as of a guess, it may be due to the water becoming extremely hot making my cpu hotter than it should be.

Screenshot_31.png

From what I could see, nope, it isn't a temperature problem with the CPU/GPU. You may wanna check for:

1. Leaks in your water cooling loop.

2. Dust buildup in your case/components.

3. Whether it's your PSU overheating or not.(May be related to dust buildup in there)