What Makes People Think Mac OSX is Better Than Windows 10

Oryzaki
4 minutes ago, meme smurf said:

i just saw linuses latest video on the macbook pro 2018 and i was looking at the comments. saw a lot of windows users talking about how our hardware is superior while i also saw some apple users talking about how macOS is better then windows. this got me thinking in what ways is macOS superior or infirior to windows? is macOS more lightweight? more secure? what are the reasons for choosing macOS over windows?

I'm not sure since I'm a windows user but I think one of the biggest things is that macOS is optimised in the same way that video games are for consoles. Because Apple control the hardware that they put macOS on, it can be extremely highly optimised for that hardware. That's one of the reasons people claim it's better. Windows has to work on pretty much everything so can have greater instability but for gaming, windows is still the clear champ and since most of the world uses it, I think it's still the best OS to be on. 

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Finder>>Windows explorer

Virtual Desktops in macOS>> Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Trackpads in macOS>>Trackpads in Windows 10

Consent to software updates>> No consent to software updates

TimeMachine

AirDrop

Handoff

Picture-in-picture 

FinalCut 

Linux based

Spoiler

iOS app support in few years?

Those are just what I have off the top of my head. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

MacOS isn't really better than Windows. As operating system it "operates" only with selected hardware, which makes him worse and less universal than Windows. Personalization (all setting, not only colours, resolution or font size) is much better in Windows. But MacOS has worshipers, not users, so even most lame user will praise that his system is the best, even if he can't do anything interesting on it. I, as Windows user, helps sometimes convert something for my friend who uses Mac, because he has no programs installed for that. He has problems with entering path from keyboard in that "great" Finder (I know that Mac users knows where it is, but he don't), but he still says that MacOS is better.

And of course Windows users repeating myths make Win looks worse. Every time I spoke with Mac user, he laughs that Windows users must reinstall their system all the time. It doesn't matter that I never do that and my system works for years without reinstall and without problems (even XP in my workplace works over 10 years!) - he knows better, because he read lot of posts on forums. The same about stability - Mac can works for hours/days while Windows needs constant restarts. It's not true since Win98, but who cares - it's still great argument against Windows, isn't?

So, basically, MacOS is better, because it has more optimistic users. They repeat myths too, but their myths are better than Windows myths. Mac boots ultra fast (unless of course you want to prove that full start, not wake from sleep/hibernation, is really slow), is stable as rock (unless, of course, whole system freezes like I saw once - then it's program's fault; and it doesn't matter that good system should prevent freezing even if program is poorly written), is faster (even if you don't have possibility to use power of latest video cards) etc. Damn, Mac (and Linux) users are in fact great. Microsoft never has that kind of users. When do you last time saw Windows user that say "man, sell your stupid Mac and buy good computer" or "man, uninstall that stupid linux and install great Windows!"? :)

Hackintoshing is also a thing, allowing macOS usage on non-Apple hardware. I have hackintoshed my low-end Windows laptop 8 months ago, and I love it. And I say this having never bought an Apple product.

There is a similar thread like this here, where I listed a few reasons why I prefer it over Windows and Linux; here are some of the reasons in summary:
- Nicer interface, not being dumbed down for touch screens

- Better text rendering (in regular DPI screens anyway)

- UNIX-based (Yes, I know, there's the "subsystem" Windows has but it's not integrated well)

- Consistency (no fragmentation in components)

- Updating is usually a better experience (asks for permission, stuff breaking less likely)

- Mac-only apps, like Sketch, Final Cut, et cetera

- Less likely to be targeted by malware

- You can actually KILL apps

I do know that there are a few things where macOS falls short (games, hardware compatibility, customization), but the pros far out weight the cons.

Remember that dual booting is a thing! I still have Windows installed, and I can just open it up to play games if I wanted.

🙂

On 6/21/2018 at 3:09 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

Apple just announced the APFS, but Microsoft released ReFS years ago.

The difference is Apple has actually implemented APFS on its systems. ReFS has 0 adoption and isn’t even a formatable option for drives......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

i like macOS because it's so simple. everything does what i expect it to do.

not that Windows is bad, i just like the layout of macOS way better. everything is positioned where i expect it to be. 

and i can work without distractions. if there are update i can tell it to remind me later and just carry on working. 

the option to reopen all my crap when i log in is also very handy because i always have a lot of stuff open. 

She/Her

On 6/17/2018 at 2:46 AM, Oryzaki said:

After completing my first ever Hackintosh for one of my closest friends I was still unable to see why so many people would prefer OSX over Windows 10. One thing in particular that I do find annoying is the constant "you don't have to constantly update" argument. This argument is just silly as it means you are left with fewer patches and improvements to the software you get and even when you do get those patches Apple decides whether you can even install the next iteration of OSX or not. This lack or constant driver support at least from what I have seen results in performance up to 20% worse in most games and benchmarks compared to when ran in Windows 10. Essentially what I'm trying to ask is why people prefer Mac OSX over Windows or Linux despite its shortcomings. 

P.S don't say malware because 99% of the time it's your fault for getting it in the first place. Also if you don't believe me on the whole performance thing while it might take me a while I can get my friend to send me screenshots on OSX compared to Windows 10.

No chkdsk after an unsafe shutdown, no regular defragmentation necessary, no built-in spyware that you can never be sure is off, no OS activation, no forced reboots, no need to hunt for shoddily written third party drivers to make your system work except when it is crashing due to said drivers, easy uninstallstion of software, no registry to need cleaning due to shoddily written software uninstallers leaving behind entries, sadists do not get to redesign the UI every few years, sane debugging with DTrace, saner API design (have you seen win32?) and better OS design in general. Much of Mac OS X is also open source.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:24 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

BSD is UNIX-like, not UNIX. XNU literally means "X is Not UNIX". The BSD kernel is not even essential to XNU, it could be replaced with a Linux/Minix kernel, maintaining POSIX compatibility, or could be replaced with something like the Windows NT.

BSD UNIX is UNIX from before the SUS was made. Mac OS X was certified to be UNIX under the SUS, so it is therefore UNIX.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:46 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

Hard to break? Guess you didn't spend enough time using it to experience kernel panics, gave administrative rights to a software to be installed, or had your speakers blown, or remove a pendrive that was being written, bugged drivers that gave problems when connected to Samsung displays, etc.

Also, it's just as infested with malware and crapware if you start downloading everything you see in front of you, and don't forget Apple store is so crappy that a lot of developers downloaded Xcode from torrents, that were modified by third parties, and ended up with modified versions of tools that injected malicious code into apps that got distributed through the Mac Store and iOS Store.

When that happens on Mac OS X, it is news. When it happens on Windows, nobody cares. There is a difference bettween the two. A random Apple machine is more likely to be clean than a random Windows machine. Heck, 50% of all scan traffic was still being generated by the Conficker virus in 2014, 6 years after the virus came out:

scanning-sec14.pdf

I lack updated numbers, but I imagine that the virus is still going strong. You can say Mac OS X is no better than Windows after you find a piece of Mac malware that managed to remain relevant for so long. Apple does a good job of preventing them from continuing very long by killing the exploits that they use. This is in part because they have yet to botch updates badly enough that users decide that updates are more trouble than they are worth like many have with Windows. I recall Microsoft trying to force upgrades to Windows 10 via updates in ways that opted in those that had opted out. Other Windows updates have been crippling for users. This has created a platform where people do not trust the developer to do sane updates. That makes Windows less secure than it could have been and that is Microsoft’s fault.

Both of them have their pros and cons. Having both Windows PC and Mac I like them both for different reasons. As well as dislike in some areas.