Need help with XPEnology

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble installing XPEnology on my custom made NAS and I'm afraid it's hardware incompatibility...

Recently I acquired an old Shuttle PC which I figured would be perfect for a NAS with it's small footprint and relatively quiet operation.

It boasts a Core 2 Quad Q9300 and 8GB DDR2 which I figured would be enough to run XPEnology on, and then Plex on that. 

I also equipped it with a 128GB MSata and two 1TB 7200rpm hard drives. I was hoping to used the Msata as the OS drive and the HDDs as the storage.

However, I've tried multiple different bootable USB sticks with XPenoboot and Xpenology DSM image files but the Shuttle gets stuck at the boot logo every time. It doesn't freeze as pressing Delete brings me to the BIOS every time, it just doesn't want to boot. The Msata isnt showing up in the BIOS either, the hard drives are. 

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and if this plan is going to work at all? Is it even possible to have a NAS with a separate OS drive?

Thank you in advance!

you are best off using FreeNAS or something else as you will find better support and help for it then "XPEnology"

since it is a taboo subject, we can't help you with it as thats probably the reason why no-one has replied to your post (also i don't think many people even know about it)

if you really need the "DiskStation Manager" (what synology calls their NAS os) get one of their NAS box's, you won't be able to use some features of plex if you go this route (transcoding is a big one) but you will find help if you run into an issue

if you don't mind using something else, FreeNAS is your best bet, with it you regain those lost plex features (transcoding) and also have access to more software to fit your needs and also has WAY more support...

sorry about that man...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Thank you for the reply, I wasn't aware of the taboo surrounding XPEnology. In the mean time I indeed figured that FreeNAS would be the better choice. Thanks for the help!