Aeris Lignea - Custom Steel/Wood/Copper Desk, SLI 1080TI Kingpins and 7980XE

JLambeth87
I am proud to present "Aeris Lignea"

Aeris Lignea, which means Copper and Wood, is a custom built computer desk with the computer and water cooling system integrated into the desk. The desk was entirely designed and built by me over the course of the last 6 months.

Before starting this project, I had never welded steel or sweated copper pipe. I learned as I went and made many practice pieces before attempting the real thing.

Once I had decided on the materials I wanted to use for the main desk construction, I started to design it out on paper. The biggest challenge I was going to face was that I wanted to make sure all the computer and cooling components stayed inside the 8" wide I beam. I had to custom build all the mounts for every component to achieve this. I needed to use PCI-E Riser cables to extend from the motherboard to the 3 PCI-E cards (2x GPU's and 1 NIC).

Another challenge was that I did not want any SSD's or HDD's visible. This is why I went with just the 2x M.2s. However since I am a video production guy, I needed to have a large amount of storage. To achieve this I actually built a separate 36TB storage server. This is housed in one of the other areas in the office. The desk system and the storage server are connected via a 10gb network. I am getting sustained transfer speeds of around 800MB/s.

Here are the specifications for the desk and computer:
Desk Components
- The frame is constructed out of 8" wide steel I-Beam.
- The desktop is 2" thick African Zebra Wood. The two reservoir and pump towers are also made from Zebra Wood.
- All the copper piping is 100% functional. They are carrying the water to and from the computer and cooling components.

Computer Components:
-CPU: Intel i9-7980XE Delidded and Overclocked to 4.5Ghz
-RAM: 128gb Corsair DDR4 running at 2666mhz
-Motherboard: MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK
-GPUs: 2x EVGA 1080Ti Kingpin Hydrocopper Edition OC'd to 2083mhz
-Storage: 2x Samsung 960 EVO 1TB nVME M.2 SSDs
-PSU: EVGA 1600w P2 with full custom sleeved cable's by me (using Teleios Carbon Sleeving).
Network: ASUS 10gb Network adapter
-Audio: Schiit Audio Modi2 DAC and Valhalla2 Tube Amplifier with Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm headphones.

Cooling Components (Dual Loop System):
-Pumps: 4x EKWB D5s
-Reservoirs: 4x EKWB 250mL X3s
-Waterblocks: EKWB Monoblock
-Radiators: 2x EKWB 480mm Coolstream XE
-Fans: 8x Coolermaster Masterfan Pro AirBalance
-Piping: 1/2" Copper
-Fittings: EKWB Compression
-Flow Meters: LZT M15 Mechanical Fluid Meter

Some fun specs:
-Total weight of the desk is roughly 600lbs.
-There is 87ft of copper tubing to complete the watercooling runs.
-There are 120 copper fittings, all of which needed to be sweated together
-All the copper piping has been sprayed with a matte clear coat finish to protect them from turning green over time.
-The total volume of coolant for the system is 9.7L.
-To fill the loops I need to use a 500gph pond pump to force the water into the system. I can have both loops filled and purged of air within 15 minutes.
-Over 90% of the wiring is not visible unless you are on your back looking at the bottom of the desk.
-The LED lighting on the desk is actually the Philips HUE light strips so they can be controlled even if the computer is off.
The overall size of the desk is 7ft wide, 3.5ft deep, and 33" tall.

I need to give a HUGE shout-out to my wife for letting me do this. I spent more time away from home trying to get this thing done than I probably should have. I also need to give a massive shout out to Dave at Hughes Manufacturing. It was his shop that I did the majority of the fabrication. He taught me everything about welding and sweating copper pipe. I couldn't have pulled this off without him.

If you have any questions about this project, please feel free to ask!

For a full built log, please visit this link: https://www.cmws.global/modderszone/xtc-mortuus/blog-posts

Thank you for looking!

EDH_0093.jpg

EDH_0094.jpg

EDH_0097.jpg

EDH_0098.jpg

EDH_0100.jpg

EDH_0101.jpg

EDH_0103.jpg

EDH_0105.jpg

EDH_0107.jpg

EDH_0113.jpg

EDH_0138.jpg

EDH_0120.jpg

I don't even want to know the cost of this...

how much? and does that include shipping? Nice one m8

This looks sooo good! :o

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Its very clean, there's something sexy about copper, its effectively a radiator by itself lol

but have you considered a triple monitor setup with arms, the floating effect is better than any stand, even if that one strangely enough has copper accents.

It looks great, and expensive lol. The only thing that bothers me is the welds. Just a little time with a grinder and it would've been perfect, I just think it takes away from all that time getting the copper pipes perfectly aligned. There's a saying in the welding community "grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't" lol

Wow, amazing and original work!

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Only 2083MHz out of the KPE's is a bit weak. There's FE card that do better.

What's the GPU load temp?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Only 2083MHz out of the KPE's is a bit weak. There's FE card that do better.

What's the GPU load temp?

I agree that its low. I cant get it stable over that. I can get a run or two in at 2096 but anything over it crashes. Load temps are mid 30*C. Ambient in room is 28*C after the system is normalized after the computer has been on for a bit. At initial powerup the ambient is 25*C.

Just now, JLambeth87 said:

I agree that its low. I cant get it stable over that. I can get a run or two in at 2096 but anything over it crashes. Load temps are mid 30*C. Ambient in room is 28*C after the system is normalized after the computer has been on for a bit. At initial powerup the ambient is 25*C.

You're doing great of load temps. Pascal usually hates anything over 40C IIRC.

Probably give this a look and see if any of the info helps: http://forum.kingpincooling.com/showthread.php?t=3972

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Holy shit..... This is amazing!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

• 1 month later...

So finally got around to checking out my GPUs. One of the 1080TI's is definitely slower than the other. One card will only make it to 2083mhz. The other made it to 2202mhz and never went above 31*C.

I have a 3rd 1080TI Kingpin Hydrocopper that I will be swapping in hopefully in the next day or two. I bought it used and had a confirmed OC of 2267 on water!

Can't wait to have a good dual OC.

Josh

Just stumbled across this when it popped up to the top of the forum - it is absolutely beautiful :x:x

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

looks amazing, can't wait to build my steampunk themed desk build, curious though, how much did the desk itself cost? (also add the currency if you wouldn't mind so I can convert it to AUD)