ubuntu server 18.04 can't login

i just made a fresh install of ubuntu server, but when i go to boot it i am greeted with ubuntu 18.04 LTS localhost.localdomain tty1

localhost login:

i try using the username and password i entered during installation, but that didn't work it just gives

login incorrect

localhost.localdomain login:

i even tried re-installing ubuntu server but the same thing keeps happening

any ideas

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

this is probalby a bad username or password. Check capslock.

i have and i have tried the setup twice with 2 different username and passwords

11 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

i just made a fresh install of ubuntu server, but when i go to boot it i am greeted with ubuntu 18.04 LTS localhost.localdomain tty1

localhost login:

i try using the username and password i entered during installation, but that didn't work it just gives

login incorrect

localhost.localdomain login:

i even tried re-installing ubuntu server but the same thing keeps happening

any ideas

Have you changed locale/keyboard mapping? Any special characters in your password?

Just now, Tabs said:

Have you changed locale/keyboard mapping? Any special characters in your password?

$ and a capital but both of which type in the username box

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

$ and a capital but both of which type in the username box

Interesting, you have a $ in your username? Have you tried a username that doesn't include special characters?

If it works without special characters, it's a bug you should report. The installer shouldn't allow you to enter any username that won't be accepted later when logging onto the system properly.

Just now, Tabs said:

Interesting, you have a $ in your username? Have you tried a username that doesn't include special characters?

If it works without special characters, it's a bug you should report. The installer shouldn't allow you to enter any username that won't be accepted later when logging onto the system properly.

no in pass

ill try without any capitals or special characters

i dont know if this is related but when installing this happens

20180615_200744[346].jpg

nope just tried without special characters and it worked, but then after reboot doesnt

• 3 years later...

Sorry to reply this old thread but I have the exact same problem on Ubuntu server 20.04 and an old PC (HP elite 8200 SFF).

@Cupar19 did you find a solution to your problem ?

I have the exact same grub installation issue on the screenshot you posted as well (with value 0006,0000 instead of yours, but probably storage hardware dependent or something).

- Simple password didn't work

- Several attempts and always the same result

- Changed some stuff in the BIOS without success

Should I upgrade the BIOS, is it due to the oldness of the hardware ?

After upgrading the BIOS and doing some other crazy stuff, I finally bypassed my problem this way : https://askubuntu.com/a/957662/1592751

This is actually not a complete fix as the GRUB install still fails every time and the setup of Ubuntu is not complete (some third-party services I asked to be installed along ubuntu are not, I'll do it manually). But this allows me to use my computer with Ubuntu server at least and it seems to be functional.

For information I tried with Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS, same result.

6 hours ago, toniopelo said:

After upgrading the BIOS and doing some other crazy stuff, I finally bypassed my problem this way : https://askubuntu.com/a/957662/1592751

This is actually not a complete fix as the GRUB install still fails every time and the setup of Ubuntu is not complete (some third-party services I asked to be installed along ubuntu are not, I'll do it manually). But this allows me to use my computer with Ubuntu server at least and it seems to be functional.

For information I tried with Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS, same result.

Have you tried using EFI Boot MGR to purge all none required entries in the boot list? From the looks of that screenshot either the drive has loads of existing partitions which are causing an issue or its picking up none existent partitions, if your system says the same thing then whats the output when you type "sudo efibootmgr" in terminal?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)