Apple just confirmed new security feature to stop hardware based attacks, Grayshift says they found a way around it

11 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

As I’ve said in the OP it’ll be a long lasting game of cat and mouse chase between Apple vs hackers/feds. 

As someone said earlier, Apple can get cunning and cutthroat and hack into Grayshift’s database and exfiltrate their source code and reverse it and that will send Grayshift into obscurity which will then lead to bankruptcy 

Oh yeah, that totally wouldn't end horribly for Apple /s lol

Probably not a good idea to commit federal crimes as a means of doing business, especially if they're against a company that supposedly has already outfoxed you technologically

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

IDK what you are trying to tell me at this point, but in the capacity I have 256GB. The lawsuit was about being able to use the full storage of the device, i.e. at that time 8GB iPods could only use 6GB due to the software. 

I am just saying that if Apple is using 256GB chips you will not be able to store 256GB of your files as you will need to allocate space for the OS. I previously also mentioned about GB vs GiB however that has been shown to be incorrect.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Probably not a good idea to commit federal crimes as a means of doing business, especially if they're against a company that supposedly has already outfoxed you technologically

Apple can just bribe someone from Grayshift since they have plenty of money or get their hands dirty and go to the dark web and dig up any code snippets they can find.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Pay the fine and move on would be the likely ramification from such a move from Apple. Given it's vast financial resources, any fine dealt is likely to amount to little more than a slap. Though it would probably be easier to go the human route, whether an insider within Greyshift, or ask a policeman to borrow such a unit. Donate enough money, and I'm fairly certain one can find a police force willing to loan out their unit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Apple can just bribe someone from Grayshift since they have plenty of money or get their hands dirty and go to the dark web and dig up any code snippets they can find.

35 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Pay the fine and move on would be the likely ramification from such a move from Apple. Given it's vast financial resources, any fine dealt is likely to amount to little more than a slap. Though it would probably be easier to go the human route, whether an insider within Greyshift, or ask a policeman to borrow such a unit. Donate enough money, and I'm fairly certain one can find a police force willing to loan out their unit.

I'm pretty sure the fine, if that's all it would be, would be rather hefty, especially since security companies that can break Apple's stuff are seen favourably by the government for obvious reasons.  Additionally, it would irreparably harm Apple's image which is the most important thing they have.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The hacking device simply was a brute force that found a way to stop the auto-lockout for incorrect pin entries (I.e. an exploit).

49 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm pretty sure the fine, if that's all it would be, would be rather hefty, especially since security companies that can break Apple's stuff are seen favourably by the government for obvious reasons.  Additionally, it would irreparably harm Apple's image which is the most important thing they have.

If Apple will do the cyberespionage route (which I think is something unlikely Apple will do), there are ways to conceal an attack and be unknown. If they do the less intrusive bribery of Grayshift employee/s, it's more feasible since the employee/s have to keep the lights on, pay the bills and send the kids to school and they can do this under a strict NDA.

Since Grayshift has unethical ties with the feds and that's something they're not hiding, Apple might as well even out the playing field. If Apple become at odds with the feds once again, they can do Kaspersky-style initiative where majority of product assembly to Switzerland.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It absolutely does not. iCloud storage is a very separate thing from internal storage. 

Items from local storage get sent to the cloud, and you can view things from the cloud after removing them from local storage, but iOS does not count my 50GB/m of iCloud storage to my storage total. 

It’s more of an integrated approach really.