What advice would you give to someone younger than you?

Paul Rudd
17 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

@greaves1111 Your advice to someone younger than you is to not be a dick? 

Yep, that's what I said

I'm almost 40, and have been gainfully employed for over 20 years in an industry I like and don't intend to leave. I work with a lot of inflated egos, and most of those people shoot themselves in the foot because people generally don't like them.

I might not be the smartest guy in this room, but people like me, and when they get new jobs, I get new job offers. When promotion opportunities arise, I get considered alot of times.

Also, who wants to hang around with a big headed know it all. 

Enjoy life but always have a way out. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

21 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Enjoy life but always have a way out. 

Don't we all have a way out of life?

Don't let a wishbone grow where a backbone should.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

I mean like in your pocket 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Be kind and if you dont dedicate time and passion to your future job on free time you never one of the bests , and reversal way , if you have passion for something at your free time , study that and take as a job , you will be one of the bests and it were like it wasnt a job.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

You only have 1 set of 2nd teeth 

muh specs 

All parts black

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:29 PM, A Random Dude said:

@Windows OS Wow, what an extraordinary answer. Do you by chance know of a great way to find these views from other people? It can't be as easy as Googling "the world through the eyes of another person."

I browse Reddit in my free time, and I have been mostly on tech related subreddits, but I have also been to changemyview and AskReddit. I have seen how other people think with these tools. I have also talked with my friends and family on politics, and while the discussion heats up, it gives insight on the way that they perceive the world.

On 6/18/2018 at 7:31 PM, A Random Dude said:

@Teddy07 I've never even thought of subjects being useless or overrun. Could you by chance give me some examples? I hope I don't already study them.

You no doubt do. If you have ever taken school(which you have), you have studied maths and read books which you will never apply to the real world

On 6/18/2018 at 8:14 PM, xAzure said:

Read an hour of a non fiction book a day. Reading helps you learn new perspectives about the world.

I couldn't agree more. https://www.amazon.com/Case-against-Education-System-Waste/dp/0691174652

@Teddy07 So all those people that can't find a job with those degrees, what will they do with all those years of information that they stacked into their brains?

First of all, great answers. I really like almost all of them. However...

19 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

dont just drift trough life mindlessly.

@cluelessgenius Is mindlessly the same as aimlessly?

19 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

make sure you either dont emberres yourself or if you do at make sure everyone is so hammered they wont remember.

What's wrong with remembering embarrassment? That's more than half of what I remember at any party I ever attended. And that's just from what I actually remember. 

19 hours ago, Kodiac said:

They are all crazy. Just choose one that has ocd and a passion for cooking or baking.

@Kodiac By "they" you mean ladies right? Because you just described the only girlfriend I've ever had. Minus the passion for cooking.

11 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

First look them dead in the eyes and follow up with, "Listen here ya lil shit..."  From there any advice is okay.

@valdyrgramr Amazing advice right there. I'd even try by best not to smile while saying that.

11 hours ago, Velcade said:

@Velcade A right way out. 

11 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I mean like in your pocket 

@Syntaxvgm Or up your sleeve?

12 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@Syntaxvgm Or up your sleeve?

who keeps a gun up their sleeve? 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

People with gun weasels.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1. Stay in school, you'll highly regret it otherwise later. (speaking from experience)

2. Start saving up as early as possible.

3. Don't do drugs.

4. Don't live like you just don't care, life catch up to you very quickly, hence the savings.

5. Try to introduce an hour or two of exercising in your week. Could be running on a treadmill or whatever while watching LTT videos. Because by the time you reach your 30s, if you haven't done anything to stay in shape, it's all downhill from there.

6. Don't drink and drive, don't be a statistic. (+1 car death for that year)

7. Be respectful and mindful of others around you if you want them to respect you. (and if they still don't, fuck 'em, just means they weren't worth it)

8. You don't need to be someone you're not just to fit in with others, be yourself.

9. If a cop ask you do something, JUST DO IT. Don't try to act like a tough prideful guy and disobey, that's just asking to get tased/shot. Better to be laying down on the ground than 6 foot under.

10. If you can't afford something, but you really want it, suck it up and don't use credit. If you can't afford it now, what makes you think you can afford it later? Not to mention with the interest rates, you'll be paying much more.

11. Establish a budget with your spending and income, yes it's boring, but without one you'll be tempted to touch that credit card a few times too many and then you're $50k in debt before you know it.

12. Learn to do basic renovation work in a house, like painting, patching a hole in a drywall, placing ceramic tiles+grout, installing a laminate flooring, etc... You will be saving a TON of money if you ever get a home by doing these basic things yourself.

13. Don't lend more than $20 to any single person, ever. Not to your friends, not to your family.
    $20 is a sum you can afford to lose, any more than that is a different matter entirely.
    Insolvable people are the ones who are likely to ask you to lend them money, if they are unable to pay their existing debt, how do you think they will be paying you back?
    If they "need money for food", just send them off to the nearest food bank, you're not a charity.
    If they couldn't handle their budget properly, why would you fuck over yours for them? Regardless of who they are or their reasons, just don't. You'll just get burned later.

There's a bunch more, but that should be the basics.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If you work hard early and get a good education you can coast through work and earn way more money than if you say screw school I'm smrt I don't need it

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

6 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

@Syntaxvgm Lol, I meant like a trick up their sleeve for how to escape certain life circumstances. Lol

I'm using this comment to just say thanks to everyone commenting on this topic. I accidently posted the exact same comment above this one but for some reason it won't let me delete comments. So thanks everyone.

5 hours ago, Kodiac said:

And I bet you are in a happy couple in a clean house.

@Kodiac 9 years, going strong. I sure don't clean it. I'm only in charge of taking out the garbage. And anything yard related.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Try to introduce an hour or two of exercising in your week. Could be running on a treadmill or whatever while watching LTT videos. Because by the time you reach your 30s, if you haven't done anything to stay in shape, it's all downhill from there.

@TetraSky You nailed this one on the head. I'm in relatively normal shape but on the inside I feel like everything that happened in my 20's is still in me and out for vengeance.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Learn to do basic renovation work in a house, like painting, patching a hole in a drywall, placing ceramic tiles+grout, installing a laminate flooring, etc... You will be saving a TON of money if you ever get a home by doing these basic things yourself.

YouTube works wonders in this department.

I'd say don't be afraid of being alone, of being miserable. There's nothing you can do to magically get out of your depression and isolation so beating yourself up because of it will only make things worst, it won't get better but you will learn to cope better and to be at peace with yourself, without being feathered down by social pressures or expectations.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't be a piece of shit to people who work in retail. Pay attention to what you picked up, and place them back where they belong; hand money to the cashier's hand when paying, etc.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

there isn't a life that you can "have it all". that you can be fulfilling and YET don't pay the price for it, don't sacrifice for it. there isn't. 

have friends that are from the same peer is really important. 

go out exercise and make it a habit. 

just be yourself, you don't wanna spend your whole life trying to be someone else.

you don't have to be perfect. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Wasn't this thread locked before? Weird, anyway, Wear hearing protection when around loud things, and while I'm at it wear eye protection too.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

1.  Stay out of debt as much as possible if this means buying a used honda civic so be it you can run those things into the ground.  Debt free is key to independence in almost all aspects

2.  Don't rush into marriage (this one's more geared towards men).  Aside from the legal consequences being stacked against you it is financially a heavy burden and potentially quite devastating and that doesn't even take into account once kids get involved. If you as a man are 30-35 you're that much more wiser and have had time to save up much more money that you would have likely otherwise.

3.  Always learn to do things on your own.  You don't have to do this all at once in fact that's the joy of it learning little by little.  Learn how to change a tire and oil, learn to cook for yourself, pick up a hobby of learning languages, programming, and classical philosophies of Seneca and the like.  Knowledge is power.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:34 PM, A Random Dude said:

What brief advice would you give to someone younger than you?

That true happiness does not come from buying/owning <insert trinket here>.

When you're young you want all kinds of material things, that fancy BMW, that iphone XXV, etc...

But once you have it, within a short time the "new" fades away and you're out drooling over the next thing you want. It's an endless rat-race, always something newer and prettier out there. The endless lust for more makes you more miserable then actually obtaining it does good.

And perhaps most of the things you want are more to show off to peers rather then things you actually want for yourself. But maybe you're better off with friends who like you for what and who you are rather then which car you drive ?

Let go of this rat-race, educate yourself financially, invest and grow the money you save by not participating in this nonsense and much sooner then you think you can be financially independent. Not having to work because you need the money, but choosing the work you want to do and are passionate about. Sometimes even taking a sabbatical, because you can afford it.

I've found that comes closer to true happiness then owning the next <insert trinket here>.

Oh, don't forget. Wear a condom when having sex especially if you have many partners. It is fun and games until you get STDs

Sudo make me a sandwich 

25 minutes ago, wasab said:

Wear a condom when having sex especially if you have many partners.

@wasab Because STD's cultivate in the area around the lady garden, wearing a hood ornament only makes the car less fun to drive.