I got the X27 4k 144hz - some thoughts and questions

rondocap

So I just got the Acer 4k 144hz HDR monitor. For comparison, previously I had the 4k Predator model and the X34 as well. 

After some use, overall I really like the monitor. With an 8700k 5ghz, and SLI Titan XP, getting as much as 100FPS on ultra settings in Battlefield 1, over 70fps on far cry V, and over 144fps on GTA:V. So overall one can already take advantage of the higher 144hz, and lowering some settings in BF1 got me to almost 144fps. 

We have to remember it's brand new tech, so there may be some growing pains. 

As a note to the famous fan video going around, mine is perfectly fine. I have not even noticed it in a quiet room, and if I hadn't seen that video, would not even know there was a fan there. He may just have gotten a faulty fan. 

1.) Very nice color, deep blacks, looks good.

2.) Battlefield 1, Far Cry V, look great with HDR. Really bright when it's fire or looking at a light, realistic 

3.) 144hz is fantastic. I was tired of screen tearing when going over 60hz in the last 4k monitor.

A few things I did not like or need further testing on: 

1. )Expensive, even with the tech it's a big jump from the last $700-800 4k monitors

2.) Build quality is great on the stand, but a lot of plastic on the monitor. 

3.) Definitely looks bland for an expensive monitor, more of a professional look. The Asus version is a bit more "RGB" if you want that; I would have gotten that but its not available yet. 

OK, and the last issue, which if anyone else has this or the Asus can see if it happens to them too...

Everything looks sharp and great, BUT when I set it to the proper 144hz, text and color are a bit more blurry and seems like something is off. Linus actually mentioned this in his last video on the Asus version, he said over 98hz you lose some of the color, and the text looks "fringy". This is o20180613_190610.thumb.jpg.c4f7c3a9fed0face23072a504cacebe2.jpgnly on windows desktop, in games seems OK. 

So if anyone has this or any knowledge, I want to figure out if this issue is a normal affect of going to 144hz that every panel will have, or if it's a defect that needs to be switched or fixed. Any settings that may help as well?

1 hour ago, rondocap said:

So I just got the Acer 4k 144hz HDR monitor. For comparison, previously I had the 4k Predator model and the X34 as well. 

After some use, overall I really like the monitor. With an 8700k 5ghz, and SLI Titan XP, getting as much as 100FPS on ultra settings in Battlefield 1, over 70fps on far cry V, and over 144fps on GTA:V. So overall one can already take advantage of the higher 144hz, and lowering some settings in BF1 got me to almost 144fps. 

We have to remember it's brand new tech, so there may be some growing pains. 

As a note to the famous fan video going around, mine is perfectly fine. I have not even noticed it in a quiet room, and if I hadn't seen that video, would not even know there was a fan there. He may just have gotten a faulty fan. 

1.) Very nice color, deep blacks, looks good.

2.) Battlefield 1, Far Cry V, look great with HDR. Really bright when it's fire or looking at a light, realistic 

3.) 144hz is fantastic. I was tired of screen tearing when going over 60hz in the last 4k monitor.

A few things I did not like or need further testing on: 

1. )Expensive, even with the tech it's a big jump from the last $700-800 4k monitors

2.) Build quality is great on the stand, but a lot of plastic on the monitor. 

3.) Definitely looks bland for an expensive monitor, more of a professional look. The Asus version is a bit more "RGB" if you want that; I would have gotten that but its not available yet. 

OK, and the last issue, which if anyone else has this or the Asus can see if it happens to them too...

Everything looks sharp and great, BUT when I set it to the proper 144hz, text and color are a bit more blurry and seems like something is off. Linus actually mentioned this in his last video on the Asus version, he said over 98hz you lose some of the color, and the text looks "fringy". This is only on windows desktop, in games seems OK. 

So if anyone has this or any knowledge, I want to figure out if this issue is a normal affect of going to 144hz that every panel will have, or if it's a defect that needs to be switched or fixed. Any settings that may help as well?

It is because the monitor implements 4:2:2 chroma subsamping (which removes half the color information from the image) to lower the bandwidth, because DisplayPort 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4K 144 Hz unless you use DSC compression or subsampling. DSC would have been a much better choice with no visible difference, but it is newer and they opted not to implement it, likely due to hardware availability or cost, and they wanted to rush the product out. So chroma subsampling is required for 144 Hz at full resolution.

This will only occur with that monitor and the similar ASUS model. Subsampling is typically only used on TVs, it's generally considered unacceptable for computer monitors.

18 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It is because the monitor implements 4:2:2 chroma subsamping (which removes half the color information from the image) to lower the bandwidth, because DisplayPort 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4K 144 Hz unless you use DSC compression or subsampling.

@ToastyBear mentioned in other thread that the Acer can actually hold the 4:4:4 up to 120Hz so if you don't mind getting a bit lower refresh rate for better colors, you can do that (it's still double of what 4k displays had before).

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones