Monitor keeps flickering and it wont stop - Impossible to do anything

t0mt0mt0m

Hey,

I've for some period of times always had to deal with my monitor flickering a lot when I am starting it. However it's not during the bios/windows loadup screen, it's only once it got into login screen it starts(I know it's then because I can here the infamous sound when I got there). I've usually had to wait for maybe 10-15 minutes before the monitor actually works and can be used, and while it was annoying I would overcome it each time. When I live alone I only use one monitor, this may be important later.

I am now visiting my parents and brought my desktop with me, and plugged it in and it worked fine and I also plugged in a secondary monitor. Everything was fine and I as always had to wait those 10-15minutes for my (MAIN ONLY) monitor to stop flickering. Since it didnt flicker during the bios/windows loadup screen I figured it might be the GPU? but now since I've plugged in the other monitor too and it works just fine I am not sure about that theory anymore. 

When I was playing yesterday my main monitor started to flicker midgame(which had never happened before) and I thought that a restart of the computer and display would fix it. Let me tell you, it did not. Now it still looks fine during bios/windows screen but as soon as it gets to login screen, it's just very bright blue but never stop flicker(I let the desktop + monitor be powered up during my sleep to see if it'd wake the monitor up, it didn't). Monitor isn't useable. So I thought it may be the cables and switched those around, the secondary monitor still works with either cable and my main has the same issue. So I tried to only plug in my secondary monitor, and everything worked just fine. So it seems like it wasnt a cable issue weither(both cables are DVI-cables). 

Earlier today I figured I'd try again and windows asked me to repair(probably because I shut down the computer with the power button a few times during cable switching and stuff) so I let it go, BUT during this the normal blue background windows has, it wasnt flickering. 

35244520_10209263433501765_8323373528447

35423928_10209263580985452_6020413193908

This is how it looks when I enter the login screen(and it flickers a bit, but couldnt get that on the picture obviously)

35197035_10209263433901775_8620472780137
How it looked during the system repair

What's wrong? Is it the monitor dying? If so, why doesnt the windows/bios look just fine, same with the repair screen

Best regards

It seems like aging components in your monitor. Showing lower resolutions is not as stressfull for the thing as the usual max resolution/refreshrate.

I can be mistaken but me thinks that some capacitators are dying. If they don't go out with a bang, they usually degrade over time and then simply can't keep up anymore to deliver the juice needed. 

In some cases you can get replacements and just swap them out with a little soldering skill. 

Worse case would be the inverter, fixing those is not as easy, and getting a replacement, well, you can get a new monitor cheaper... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

also get monitor spec and check refresh rate and resolution are set correctly in video drivers

6 minutes ago, jools said:

also get monitor spec and check refresh rate and resolution are set correctly in video drivers

I tried using HDMI but got "no cable attached" error, will try that again later though. As for monitor its an benq xl2411t with a 144hz refresh rate. How would I go on and check if the resolution/HZ are set correctly in the drivers? Can't see anything on my screen, and to be fair I am not too good with those things

Thanks for reply

Managed to check in nvidia's control panel and it says the screen is set at 144hz and 1920x1080. But I think you meant something else, right?

35423928_10209263580985452_6020413193908

Clearer picture of how it looks 

18 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

It seems like aging components in your monitor. Showing lower resolutions is not as stressfull for the thing as the usual max resolution/refreshrate.

I can be mistaken but me thinks that some capacitators are dying. If they don't go out with a bang, they usually degrade over time and then simply can't keep up anymore to deliver the juice needed. 

In some cases you can get replacements and just swap them out with a little soldering skill. 

Worse case would be the inverter, fixing those is not as easy, and getting a replacement, well, you can get a new monitor cheaper... 

Thanks for the response, yeah it could be the last of the monitor I guess. Will try and plug it in something else later

Managed to check in nvidia's control panel and it says the screen is set at 144hz and 1920x1080. But I think you meant something else, right?

no... sometimes if the NVidia settings don't match monitor spec you can get issues

also try different input ports, you've got hdmi and dvi

ps hdmi will set up as 60/75hz refresh rate

also dvi settings were correct

38 minutes ago, jools said:

also try different input ports, you've got hdmi and dvi

Yeah tried all, with HDMI it even said no cable connected(or if it was no signal, don't remember). But I myabe have to restart pc for that to work(shouldnt be needed though)