Skyrim 50 FPS Issue

Paul Rudd

I've basically ran into an issue with Skyrim SE. The game runs fine at 85 fps in 1440p when I set my refresh rate to 85Hz. But if I exit the game and then go back into the game without restarting my PC, the game drops to 50 fps the whole time instead of the 85 fps the whole time. So what I did was set the vsync interval to 0 in the ini file and then turned vsync to ON in the Nvidia Control panel. This has been the best I've gotten Skyrim to run in because when I do this, it locks the fps to 60.

My question is, why doesn't it lock my fps to 85 since that is what my refresh rate is set at? You would think it would just lock it to 85 but it doesn't. I think there's one small thing I'm not doing right. Anyone know or have this issue?

skyrim locks it to 60 because thats what it should be at.

physics in skyrim is tied to the framerate, so they lock it at what they designed the physics around.

unlocked, you may periodically notice some issues like objects tweaking the fuck out. items flying across the room when entering a house, loud noises when objects are being weird.  this is especially noticeable in playerhomes.  these are all caused by the framerate being higher than what the game is actually designed to run at.

that being said, i dont know if this was supposed to have been fixed in the SE. (and i dont have it so i cant confirm). but its very prevalent in the standard version

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 hours ago, Tsuki said:

skyrim locks it to 60 because thats what it should be at.

@Tsuki This can't be true at all.

10 hours ago, Tsuki said:

unlocked, you may periodically notice some issues like objects tweaking the fuck out. items flying across the room when entering a house, loud noises when objects are being weird.  this is especially noticeable in playerhomes.  these are all caused by the framerate being higher than what the game is actually designed to run at.

Not once has this happened at a locked 85 fps. That is why I am trying to figure out how to lock the fps at 85. What I'm trying to figure out is the reason behind the fps locking at 60 when my refresh rate is at 85. It's not just because "it's what it should be at." 

@Tsuki I think I may have found it! 

Scroll to the 0:27 mark. I'm gonna try this because it has 131 likes and only 3 dislikes in the 8 months it's been on YouTube. I think 0.0111 is what I need to put in Havok(I think this is the physics tweaking out thing you speak of). This should give me a locked 90 fps. But before i try the Havok thing, I'm gonna see what just adding bLockFramerate to 0 will do for me. I think that's all I need to do in order for the game to lock at 85 fps since I changed my refresh rate to 85.

I'm actually going to message this guy before I do anything. He may know more than I do about what to do in my situation.

cant watch the video cuz im at work, but you can change it in the .ini file if you want to.

but seriously look it up. skyrim has a 60fps lock on it. and its there for a reason.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

but seriously look it up. skyrim has a 60fps lock on it. and its there for a reason.

@Tsuki I got it all figured out now. The only thing I had to do to lock the fps at 85 is change the vsync in the ini file to 0(off) and limit the frame rate to 85 in Rivatuner that is used with MSI Afterburner and turn vsync off in the Nvidia Control panel. I never thought about that and this helps me out tons. Especially for other games.

Skyrim plays just fine above 60 fps for me, especially at 85 fps. But I want to utilize vsync(since I have a gsync monitor) at 85 fps to get rid of the minor screen tearing going on. It's not very noticeable at all but it's so subtly noticeable that I think I'd rather just play at a locked 60 fps with gsync on. Skyrim fps is so weird. Especially without doing anything to the settings. It'll run flawlessly at a locked 85 fps then if I exit the game and go back in, it locks itself to 50 fps. I just wish I knew what is causing this.

For now, 60 fps wth gsync on seems the way to go, I can live with that in Skyrim since people do complain about physics going crazy when above 85 fps. I have yet to experience that but the minor screen tearing I have experienced. It's sooo subtle, it gets under your skin.

In my experience, the physics issues don't start occuring until you go above 90 FPS. But even then, changing the fMaxTime value in Skyrim.ini will fix them.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

1 hour ago, Frankenburger said:

changing the fMaxTime value in Skyrim.ini will fix them.

@Frankenburger Oh I won't be messing with that since I won't be going above 90 fps. The game runs flawlessly at 60 fps wth G-sync on and barely even uses GPU power or CPU power. So I think I can live with it until I figure out how to lock the fps at 85 with G-sync on.

16 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@Frankenburger Oh I won't be messing with that since I won't be going above 90 fps. The game runs flawlessly at 60 fps wth G-sync on and barely even uses GPU power or CPU power. So I think I can live with it until I figure out how to lock the fps at 85 with G-sync on.

Locking the FPS with Nvidia Inspector is probably the best way to achieve those settings. That way, you don't have to rely on ENB or Rivatuner, and is controlled entirely by your drivers.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

Locking the FPS with Nvidia Inspector is probably the best way to achieve those settings. That way, you don't have to rely on ENB or Rivatuner, and is controlled entirely by your drivers.

@Frankenburger I've never used Inspector and probably never will. What do you mean rely on ENB?

11 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@Frankenburger I've never used Inspector and probably never will. What do you mean rely on ENB?

That's a shame. Inspector gives much better driver level control than NVCP, and is excellent for advanced tweaks.

ENB has a built in FPS limiter.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

ENB has a built in FPS limiter.

@Frankenburger What is ENB? I thought an ENB was a mod to make graphics look better.

Inspector gives much better driver level control than NVCP

I'm not doubting you at all, but how exactly can you confirm this? And from my experience, NVCP is pretty solid when it comes to forcing games to do things.

and is excellent for advanced tweaks.

This sounds very interesting. Maybe I should stop thinking Inspector is game breaking and complicated to use. It's probably quite the opposite isn't it? 

10 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

What is ENB? I thought an ENB was a mod to make graphics look better.

ENB is in fact a graphics mod, but it still has a built in FPS limiter.

I'm not doubting you at all, but how exactly can you confirm this? And from my experience, NVCP is pretty solid when it comes to forcing games to do things.

This sounds very interesting. Maybe I should stop thinking Inspector is game breaking and complicated to use. It's probably quite the opposite isn't it? 

Inspector is no more or less game breaking than NVCP. In fact, it does exactly what NVCP does, but with much more flexibility and options. Inspector lets you enable a FPS limit, lets you force AA/AO/SLI where it is otherwise not supported, gives you Ordered Grid and Sparse Grid SSAA, and it lets you adjust the game's texture LOD. These are things that NVCP does not allow you to adjust. In fact, Inspector is such a better tool at handling driver settings, that it's been recommended a few times in advanced game tweaks that are written by Nvidia themselves, such as https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/five-fast-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweaks-guaranteed-to-make-your-game-look-even-better#1

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler