Pre-LTX/Post-LTX Stuff todo in Vancouver/Richmond

Lambda Complex

I'm heading to LTX a few days early and staying a few days after. Anyone doing the same? If so, do you have plans to see other things in the area?

This is actually my first vacation so I'm excited and confused as to how to spend my time. Anyone have any suggestions?

Vancouver is actually pretty boring imo. 

The only thing you can find close to the LTX site in Richmond are these signs:

rezoning8.jpg.993f2ebbf3a66552f446cc5ff272ce07.jpg

(europeans: change planning permission application)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

There seems to be a few good restaurants in the area I would want to check out.  Perhaps some shopping?  Where are you coming from?

On 6/16/2018 at 2:29 AM, BobbyPdue said:

There seems to be a few good restaurants in the area I would want to check out.  Perhaps some shopping?  Where are you coming from?

I am coming from Chattanooga Tennessee. I did find one thing I'd like to see so far. The Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Im coming from Santa Cruz California

flying in Friday afternoon

LTX Saturday

explore Vancouver Sunday

fly back Monday

any recommendations for things to do on a Sunday?

cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎26 at 11:45 PM, cTurtle98 said:

any recommendations for things to do on a Sunday?

- Protest the pipeline?

- drink beer?

- catch up on the youtube videos you missed?

although I wonder if a bar would show the WAN (/NAW) show so we can see the pre LTX WAN show

10 hours ago, BubblyCharizard said:

- drink beer?

im 19 lol

cTurtle98 - Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k

COOLER: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Extreme S
MOBO: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME (POP_OS)

GPU: MSI - GTX 1070

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

CASE: Thermaltake - Versa H26

cTurtle98 - Portable PC

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600

COOLER: NH-L9a-AM4

MOBO: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair - Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

SSD 1: Intel - 600p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 (Windows)

SSD 2: 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" (Manjaro)

SSD 3: PNY - CS1311 120 GB 2.5" (POP_OS)

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC

PSU: HDPLEX 400 AC-DC DC-ATX Combo

CASE: NFC Skyreach 4 mini

35 minutes ago, cTurtle98 said:

im 19 lol

isn't 18 the age requirement up there ?

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

On 6/13/2018 at 7:40 PM, Lambda Complex said:

I'm heading to LTX a few days early and staying a few days after. Anyone doing the same? If so, do you have plans to see other things in the area?

This is actually my first vacation so I'm excited and confused as to how to spend my time. Anyone have any suggestions?

well there is alot of cool stuff in BC and the Vancouver like there is a giant forest and lake nearby there are mountains there to our you could just explore the city. and if your into photography and film making there is alot to shoot there

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Things I would recommend:

A high quality hike, Buntzen Lake is good if you don't like going up hills, Diez Vistas is in the same spot but you actually go up the mountain and then look down on the city, easily one of my favorites.

Go around the Seawall, it goes around basically the entire city and is awesome to walk along (or rent roller blades for the best experience), lots of restaurants and such just off of it, I personally like the spots around Davie St.  This also goes around Stanley Park, which is a quality time.

My favorite places to eat include: Tacofino, HavanaBoulevard ($$$) and Cinara ($$), although I have only been around Van for a year so I don't have a massive list yet.

There is a really cool theater called the Rio that's a total dive but the vibe is super cool and you can drink while you watch a movie, 10/10 recommend.

The best concerts then seem to be the Avalanches and Eagles of Death Metal, but here is a larger list.

Vancouver has quite a bit otg if you look a little bit so I imagine that you can figure something out without any issue.

3 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

isn't 18 the age requirement up there ?

In Ontario, you can legally drink at 19.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Things I would recommend:

A high quality hike, Buntzen Lake is good if you don't like going up hills, Diez Vistas is in the same spot but you actually go up the mountain and then look down on the city, easily one of my favorites.

Go around the Seawall, it goes around basically the entire city and is awesome to walk along (or rent roller blades for the best experience), lots of restaurants and such just off of it, I personally like the spots around Davie St.  This also goes around Stanley Park, which is a quality time.

My favorite places to eat include: Tacofino, HavanaBoulevard ($$$) and Cinara ($$), although I have only been around Van for a year so I don't have a massive list yet.

There is a really cool theater called the Rio that's a total dive but the vibe is super cool and you can drink while you watch a movie, 10/10 recommend.

The best concerts then seem to be the Avalanches and Eagles of Death Metal, but here is a larger list.

Vancouver has quite a bit otg if you look a little bit so I imagine that you can figure something out without any issue.

Noted. Vancouver Island worth it?

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Noted. Vancouver Island worth it?

If you feel like taking a 2 hour overpriced ferry to the middle of nowhere, before driving on a bumpy highway/taking a old windy bus route to a admitally OK downtown with not many people.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

If you feel like taking a 2 hour overpriced ferry to the middle of nowhere, before driving on a bumpy highway/taking a old windy bus route to a admitally OK downtown with not many people.

Well I mean it's shorter than the 20 hour flight... :P

5 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Well I mean it's shorter than the 20 hour flight... :P

But even then a 20 hour flight with 10 hours of delays likely has more value than Vancouver island, even if the sole purpose of the flight was to visit the island :P

I've not been to BC, but based on the news articles their "in service" might as well be like Toronto island ferries being on strike, esp if you drive.

Another food place that is pretty good is a place called Japadog which makes specialty Japanese style hotdogs.

Granville Island is another cool place to check out. It has a lot of cool shops and is generally a fun place. The public market there has a lot of interesting food and random things. If you're in the donut mood, there's a place on Granville Island called Lee's Donuts, which have a particularly amazing glazed donut.

Stanley Park is always a pleasure to walk around for a bit, but I wouldn't spend much time there.

The area around the convention center is also pretty popular.

I would take some time to check out Robson street (if you can find a parking spot) as they also have some good food and shops around there. 

If you're into plane spotting, CYVR has quite a number of heavies coming in during the evening. Lufthansa's A350 departs at around 18:30 and around that time is where China Airline's A350 and EVA Air's 777 comes in. Same with BA's A380.

http://www.spotterguide.net/planespotting/north-america/canada/vancouver-airports-seaplane-base-yvr-cyvr-cam9/

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 2018-06-30 at 6:39 AM, Egg-Roll said:

But even then a 20 hour flight with 10 hours of delays likely has more value than Vancouver island, even if the sole purpose of the flight was to visit the island :P

I've not been to BC, but based on the news articles their "in service" might as well be like Toronto island ferries being on strike, esp if you drive.

https://www.instagram.com/bcferriesmemes/?hl=en

They have more followers than BC Ferries itself lol

On 2018-07-02 at 12:20 AM, Elk said:

Definitely go to the Richmond Night Market. It's only open during the weekends tho 

https://richmondnightmarket.com

Note to visitors: Never drive there. You will be stuck in traffic on Bridgeport/No. 3 westbound/northbound for a MINIMUM of 30 minutes, up to 1 hour. The Bridgeport SkyTrain station is right beside the site.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop