Steam paves way for dropping Win XP and Vista for 2019

ItsMitch

S: Wykrhm (Steam's PR guy)

Steam is planning on dropping Windows XP and Vista support from the 1st of January 2019. 

Starting on January 1 2019, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. This means that after that date the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 7 and above.

For the remainder of 2018 Steam will continue to run and to launch games on Windows XP and Windows Vista, but other functionality in Steam will be somewhat limited. For example, new features such as the new Steam Chat will not be available. We encourage all users on these operating systems to upgrade to newer versions of Windows in order to have ongoing access to the latest features of Steam, and to ensure future access to all games and other Steam content.

I'm very happy that Steam is finally dropping the platform from it's support, it's been a long overdue problem that XP and Vista are practically ancient, practically dinosaurs at this rate, Get them outta here, upgrade to a more secure OS god damn it. 

Windows XP 5eva

Well, its not like Steam has properly supported some of the oldest Windows XP machines for a while (those that don't have an SSE2 capable CPU).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i would think they would just stop fixing whatever problems may arise from updates rather than activily blocking them but sure i guess you could do that too, probably saves you a few complaints

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would think they would just stop fixing whatever problems may arise from updates rather than activily blocking them but sure i guess you could do that too, probably saves you a few complaints

Nah, people stupid enough to still be running XP or Vista at this point are the kind of people who will scream very loudly that applications have issues with their 15 year old operating system.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Nah, people stupid enough to still be running XP or Vista at this point are the kind of people who will scream very loudly that applications have issues with their 15 year old operating system.

yah its not like i dont see it but it feels like a dick move when there are a few older titles you might want to play on an old XP box on Steam. doubt you would have problems getting your hands on them via other means though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

XP is 16 years old now.

Vista no one should be using....ever.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Well, R.I.P. my old gaming box. Pisses me off, I've bought games that do NOT work right on modern hardware/operating systems that I will no longer be able to enjoy properly unless I buy them again, or fuck around with patches and tricks.

I'm just hoping someone will make something similar to KernelEx, but for XP.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I can think of at least one rather popular game that is still Vista only primarily: Fallout 3

Have they patched it so it installs and works by default on 10?

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I can think of at least one rather popular game that is still Vista only primarily: Fallout 3

Have they patched it so it installs and works by default on 10?

I played the game on windows 10.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

35 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I played the game on windows 10.

I know you can eventually configure it to play it, I said "installs and works by default" meaning without you having to fail, go online, read a bunch of forum posts done by the community, not Beth support and then get it to work.

By default, afaik it just doesn't works. So Steam would now be selling a product that definitively does not work under any of their supported circumstances without community based workarounds.

EDIT: Yep, they even still have this very notice on the store page for it:fo3.PNG.fdbbe5fc7bcebef5efb3e565ca9b28ba.PNG

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I know you can eventually configure it to play it, I said "installs and works by default" meaning without you having to fail, go online, read a bunch of forum posts done by the community, not Beth support and then get it to work.

By default, afaik it just doesn't works. So Steam would now be selling a product that definitively does not work under any of their supported circumstances without community based workarounds.

=/ i just downloaded it and played man. Most i did was change the ini to do ultrawide screen.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

=/ i just downloaded it and played man. Most i did was change the ini to do ultrawide screen.

It is possible that either the game or later versions of 10 have addressed this though, it's why I have said AFAIK because well I might be wrong.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

EDIT: Yep, they even still have this very notice on the store page for it:fo3.PNG.fdbbe5fc7bcebef5efb3e565ca9b28ba.PNG

Its the Windows Live crap if  I'm remembering correctly that supposedly causes problems with Windows 7 and up. Though even with Halo 2 it didn't seem to be giving me any problems.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

55 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

EDIT: Yep, they even still have this very notice on the store page for it:

-snip-

Fallout 3 remaster, when?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Not one who this would affect, though it would be nice if they'd make a final Steam client for XP/Vista that can't be upgraded and has limited features, but would still allow people to download & run their purchased games (for those who run legacy games on older systems).

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Well, R.I.P. my old gaming box. Pisses me off, I've bought games that do NOT work right on modern hardware/operating systems that I will no longer be able to enjoy properly unless I buy them again, or fuck around with patches and tricks.

I'm just hoping someone will make something similar to KernelEx, but for XP.

Yet another reason to use GOG.

its about fucking time.  they should have done it when Microsoft stopped supporting them.

windows xp is older than half the people on this forum, nobody has a reason to still be using it.  and every game that "only works on XP" will run fine on 7. the only exception is dos based games, but then you should be running dos, and not expect people to support you.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

59 minutes ago, Kamina said:

Fallout 3 remaster, when?

If it's given for free to Fallout 3 owners, sure.

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

its about fucking time.  they should have done it when Microsoft stopped supporting them.

windows xp is older than half the people on this forum, nobody has a reason to still be using it.  and every game that "only works on XP" will run fine on 7. the only exception is dos based games, but then you should be running dos, and not expect people to support you.

So, should game developers revoke compatibility for games made for earlier OSes once those OSes become no longer supported by Microsoft? That's effectively what Valve is doing, here.

People who bought games for a particular OS shouldn't lose access to those games based on which OS they're using. If those games were made to be run on earlier OSes, then they should still be accessible for the people who bought them specifically to play on those OSes.

Jito463's idea is the right one: Release a dated Steam client that doesn't have access to other features, so that people with older OSes and Steam-bought games for those older OSes can continue to download and play their purchased and owned games.

And if Valve don't do that, then all games which are not designed for Windows 7 and later should be removed from the Steam store, and refunds issued to the people who purchased those games.

Also, I imagine that Valve simply denying people access to their games that were advertised and purchased for older OSes would be a violation of consumer protection laws.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

So, should game developers revoke compatibility for games made for earlier OSes once those OSes become no longer supported by Microsoft? That's effectively what Valve is doing, here.

valve is making updates to their platform that are not compatible with older version of windows.  steam will not function.  should we expect them to continue updating their platform for the .22% of people on XP?  thats ridiculous. why should we expect them to keep their software updated for software that A. nobody is using, and B. has so many security flaws that its impossible to code correctly and actually expect you to have real security.

Game developers should update their game to the new standard. which is not compatible with a 16yr old OS.  There are reasons older games dont work on new operating systems. they arent compatible. why would you expect the same out of any software, including steam?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

23 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

valve is making updates to their platform that are not compatible with older version of windows.  steam will not function.  should we expect them to continue updating their platform for the .22% of people on XP?  thats ridiculous. why should we expect them to keep their software updated for software that A. nobody is using, and B. has so many security flaws that its impossible to code correctly and actually expect you to have real security.

Game developers should update their game to the new standard. which is not compatible with a 16yr old OS.  There are reasons older games dont work on new operating systems. they arent compatible. why would you expect the same out of any software, including steam?

What of games that are incompatible with newer OSs, but is running on an old (compatible) OS, in the case of a retro gamer.

For games that are verified non-compatible with Windows 7 and beyond, perhaps a good middle ground to pressure developers to update old games by the cutoff date would be for Valve to threaten to strip the DRM. 

Games that are incompatible with modern OSs and are not supported by developers will no longer get such support (via DRM) from Valve either, and players can freely move the game onto a compatible system or run it in a VM. Games that are updated will, obviously, run on supported OSs. Either way, the consumer wins.

That is, if Valve were to clamp down a bit on developers letting their outdated games slide into incompatibility.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

What of games that are incompatible with newer OSs, but is running on an old (compatible) OS, in the case of a retro gamer.

For games that are verified non-compatible with Windows 7 and beyond, perhaps a good middle ground to pressure developers to update old games by the cutoff date would be for Valve to threaten to strip the DRM. 

Games that are incompatible with modern OSs and are not supported by developers will no longer get such support (via DRM) from Valve either, and players can freely move the game onto a compatible system or run it in a VM. Games that are updated will, obviously, run on supported OSs. Either way, the consumer wins.

That is, if Valve were to clamp down a bit on developers letting their outdated games slide into incompatibility.

i dont disagree. valve should be pressuring the developers on their platform instead of letting them do whatever the fuck they want like they have been.  but then its up to the developers to update their games so that we can continue playing them. 

Im just saying we shouldnt expect Valve to continue making its own software compatible with older systems.  should we also expect them to keep it functioning on Windows 95 or 3.1 or Mac OS 10.6(Snow Leopard)? are people going to be pissed when they stop supporting Lion(10.7) too? 

there has to be a point where we stop expecting them to support it.  and i think a depreciated 16 year old OS has finally more than hit that point.  keep in mind, Snow Leopard is 12 years old and no longer supported(and actually hasnt been since 2015 so it was only 9 years old when they stopped supporting it).

|Specs in profile|

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

If it's given for free to Fallout 3 owners, sure.

It's like you don't know who Bethesda is.

Skyrim

Skyrim LE (Original +DLC)

Anthology

Skyrim SE (the remaster)

Switch and VR (SE with adapted control schemes)

and charged for every single one of them. I'm sure there will be a 10 year anniversary edition at some point too.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒