How to know if my laptop supports NVME PCI-e or M.2 ?

Go to solution Solved by Dissitesuxba11s,

Use Crucial's site to verify. From the looks of it you have a SATA SSD.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/lenovo-g40-80

Also, welcome to the forum!

I have a Lenovo G40-80 laptop, PF09SBYY, which is 5th generation Core i-5 5200U. I want to install a SSD into this laptop, but wondering whether I need to buy a M.2 SSD or a regular SATA SSD. Please guys help me out. I couldn't find any solution, because I don't know how to check if it supports NVME or not. 

You dont need NVME. They should only be considered for business applications where programs support the higher speeds. Games, Bootup times, and day to day activies will not benefit from NVME.

15 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You dont need NVME. They should only be considered for business applications where programs support the higher speeds. Games, Bootup times, and day to day activies will not benefit from NVME.

Ikr, I use Photoshop & Illustrator, Sometimes Cinema 4D for my work, as a Designer, I need my PC to respond faster, so that I can work smoothly. Thanks for your response bro! I appreciate that. :)

1 minute ago, zakaria17 said:

Ikr, I use Photoshop & Illustrator, Sometimes Cinema 4D for my work, as a Designer, I need my PC to respond faster, so that I can work smoothly. Thanks for your response bro! I appreciate that. :)

You would benefit more with a better CPU and such rather then NVME. It really wont help with low end hardware, as the limiting factor is the CPU in this case, not the storage.

Also Do note the M.2 Is a Standard much like Sata connectors. You can have a SATA m.2 (Samsung 850/860 Evo) or a NVME m.2. 

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

You would benefit more with a better CPU and such rather then NVME. It really wont help with low end hardware, as the limiting factor is the CPU in this case, not the storage.

Also Do note the M.2 Is a Standard much like Sata connectors. You can have a SATA m.2 (Samsung 850/860 Evo) or a NVME m.2. 

I have a PC which I use at home. That has faster CPU, core i-7 7700K, but I use this laptop when I need to travel and get my work done. LOL Thanks bro for your help.

• 10 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 10:10 PM, Shimejii said:

Came here from Google to figure out if my new laptop support NVME or not.

Anway what you forgot to mention is that NVME has a significantly lower cpu overhead. So besides the fact that they are currently becomming cheaper than regular SATA SSD's they are also better for low-end systems.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I would to know if my Toshiba Portege X30-D support nvme ?