FAST 12TB Steam Drive for CHEAP!!

"cheap"

$500

nyehh

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

"cheap"

$500

nyehh

Far cheaper than a large capacity SSD :) 

21 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Far cheaper than a large capacity SSD :) 

Can confirm *built my own 12x 960GB SSD array*

Is there a difference between doing this and just using an sshd?

Would I benefit from this now? I have:

i5 8400 - 8th gen cpu

2 Seagate Firecuda drives for games.

Can it be used for 2 HDD's?

I have 2 serious questions about this video... Why 12 TB and is it "worth" the price?

I own over 800 registered games and I'm only on my 2nd 2TB drive, GTA:O does take longer due to the 64mb cache, and sure I could offset it by throwing it onto my RAM or buying a cheap dedicated SSD, but for the hassle for the 1-2 minute in savings...

image.png.91c28121f67625daae4ff3a03ef9bed0.png (recent is mostly fresh installed, not actually played)

For a new build I would gladly throw it in since it is only gen 8 and fairly cheap,and if I am replacing both of my steam drives (unless it works on multiple units) to a new one, but if the system is already built (with all the requirements) I would seriously pass on it. Because the load times would take (based on the 4 seconds in GTA:O) get this 3,000 loading screens that benefited from the 4 second gain based on $15/h after tax, assuming you'd play and load GTA:O once a day with 5 loading screens per day it would still take almost 2 years to repay back the time wasted... If you make less than $15 after tax it will take even longer to pay off in time saved.

So new build? Yes. Old build? (with the requirements) Don't waste your money as unless Linus can prove it improves actual gameplay and not just loading it's simply not worth it.

Haven't you already done like 2 or 3 videos about Optane?

That's why they used #outofideas, my guess Intel is seeing this as a good marketing strategy and I don't mind them either.

1 hour ago, skaracoban said:

Is there a difference between doing this and just using an sshd?

I would assume yes due to it being optane, but not by much.

7 minutes ago, warlock257 said:

Would I benefit from this now? I have:

i5 8400 - 8th gen cpu

2 Seagate Firecuda drives for games.

Can it be used for 2 HDD's?

yes my question too.

FFS intel PLEASE stop sponsoring video's about Optane.

I'm absolutely sick of them.

It honestly doesn't matter how good it is. If it's too expensive i just won't buy it.

Also, if you guys really like making so many video's about storage, at least check out StoreMI, one of the selling points of Ryzen 2...

Nothing wrong with giving the competition a try, right?

You know, for the people that don't have an Intel-based system...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Here is what I would love to see. A comparison of this (Intel) setup and a comparably (to the optane) priced m.2 ssd (such as  Silicon Power 120g)  on a ryzen using stormi. This may be important to someone who is looking to build a new system and may make the difference in what they buy (while also showing some investigative journalism instead of paid infotainment).

3:05

"We picked games that would be impractical to store on a dedicated SSD"
>shows ~300GB worth of games
uhh, having a ~500GB ssd is impractical? An SSD that size only costs a little over $100. I have 250GB of games on my primary/only 480GB SSD.

Just now, poochyena said:

3:05

"We picked games that would be impractical to store on a dedicated SSD"
>shows ~300GB worth of games
uhh, having a ~500GB ssd is impractical? An SSD that size only costs a little over $100. I have 250GB of games on my primary/only 480GB SSD.

I am in the same boat. I have a 500g ssd that my "new/still played" games are on, and I just move them to my spinning rust when they are no longer played on a regular basis. (so easy to do now that steam allows this move to be done from within steam itself)

51 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

image.png.91c28121f67625daae4ff3a03ef9bed0.png 

... i legit doubt my internet could have downloaded that many games in the time i have had my computer tbh... holy shit xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

44 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

FFS intel PLEASE stop sponsoring video's about Optane.

Intel's money is too much for LTT it seems. Lots of people hate Optane, it's literally garbage

15 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Intel's money is too much for LTT it seems. Lots of people hate Optane, it's literally garbage

I agree, i mean they are completely out of ideas to show situations where Optane can help. I'm quite sure if they had a few ideas left, intel would give them a bunch of money to make a video about each idea.

Oh well, i guess it gives at least LMG a bit of money...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Where are the Canadian links to buy the parts in Canada? LTT is based in Canada. LTT should have Canadian links along with the American links. Or LTT should relocate to Seattle.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

... i legit doubt my internet could have downloaded that many games in the time i have had my computer tbh... holy shit xD 

One drive is over just 5 years old now and was bought specifically for it, my second drive is about 1 year old and was empty sitting around collecting dust(When NCIX had Toshiba on sale who could refuse :P). Currently it's holding more of other stuff than games :P because I still have some space on the first one, only had to start using the second because bigger games can't be put on the old one.

I was creeping on full for about 6 months, 2.5 years ago it was about 750GB in used storage, curse you GTA, and others... (It also hold CryTek lol)

First HDD:

image.png.be330373bd91d150b084a72d8c7fddcc.png

Second:

image.png.6da7d75c0db4ed971740f7e6878d7edb.png

But yea, if load times are something one doesn't care about Optane is a waste lol... I'll buy it for my next build (in maybe 3 years) assuming SSD's don't take over HDD prices.

1 hour ago, Corroder said:

Where are the Canadian links to buy the parts in Canada? LTT is based in Canada. LTT should have Canadian links along with the American links. Or LTT should relocate to Seattle.

1. Click Newegg link
  2. Select .com in URL replace with .ca
  3. ???
  4. Profit

Do you have to do anything software-wise to get the optane drive to cache? 

1. Would a 16GB Optane Memory Module have difference or effect?

2. Would there be a difference on the capacity of the Hard Drive?

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Also, if you guys really like making so many video's about storage, at least check out StoreMI, one of the selling points of Ryzen 2...

Nothing wrong with giving the competition a try, right?

You know, for the people that don't have an Intel-based system...

We plan on checking out StoreMI (and another option AFAIK) in an upcoming video. Just haven't had time to get all of the testing done yet.

19 minutes ago, Corroder said:

Last month over 30% of our views came in from viewers in the states (with the US being the single largest demographic in our audience). Less than 5% came from Canada.

It would make more sense for us to add UK links than it would to add Canadian ones (as the UK typically makes up 7-10% of the audience). "LMG is based in Canada" isn't really an argument when the majority of the audience that we serve is based in the US.

US dollar is also the most relatable global currency, making it easier for viewers anywhere in the world to compare pricing to their home currency.

1 hour ago, GeneralOxxy said:

yea sure 500$ is so cheap xD

Where on this great big blue planet is everyone getting $500 from? The 32GB unit shown in this video is only $50-60...

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Last month over 30% of our views came in from viewers in the states

That seems rather low... Esp if UK only holds 7-10%.