WiFi Smart Plug

Judd

So I was planning on getting this smart plug that will turn on and off the power to my PC. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077HSDKRR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A281TD89JW7EM9&psc=1

The plan was when I'm on vacation I can turn the PC on and off using the wake on power and not requiring a password. This would be nice as I plan on using my Raspberry Pi 3 running Parsec to stream my computer away from home. This allows me to wake my computer up away from home and be less worried about it being on all of the time. My question is, will the app for this particular smart plug work across different internet setups? So if I was at the beach, would th eapp still work? Is there a better smart plug to use? I do not want to spend over 40$ but I would consider doing more. Thank you for helping me with this and I appreciate it.

@Pangea2017

Thank you for the item you posted. Right now I am comparing the apps for the different switches and that is how I am going to decide since they all seam to have the same functionality. thank you again.

3 minutes ago, Judd said:

So if I was at the beach, would th eapp still work? 

if you are out on the beach what do you need to remote access your computer for at this very moment?

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

if you are out on the beach what do you need to remote access your computer for at this very moment?

I'm sorry I worded that incorrectly, I meant if I was at a beach house, not on the actual beach. That was my bad. It is meant so that I can still play games on my PC or do work even though I'm away from my house.

I bought a cheap "edimax" plug a while ago that seems to work over the WAN and displays power usage, but the app was iffy sometimes and slow.

I now use a raspberry PI and some relays to toggle things in my home remotely. I copied some examples online that use a password protected page in Apache by using PHP to authenticate and execute python commands to trigger the relays. The internal PI is just port-forwarded to make it external. Im sure the power & reset pins on a PC can be wired into a relay too. It takes a bit, but you can keep adding things to it.

Now it also has a radio transmitter attached to toggle wireless things at home too. I might add and IR transmitter soon too to mess with the TVs.

Total cost was $5 for PI, $5 relays, $7 RF transmitter.