Geforce GTX 1050ti in Dell OptiPlex 790 mini tower

Nalla Will Jr

I want to buy the GeForce GTX 1050ti for my Dell OptiPlex 790 mini tower, but my mobo has it's PCIe slot stated as 35w. Is this because of the stock PSU? And does this mean if I get the new GPU, I'll have to change my PSU? Or will I have to use a different mobo entirely for it to work? 

All PCI slots have limited wattage. You're not going to run a GTX 1050 ti on PCIE power anyway, it's going to be connected to a power cable.

Do you have specs for the tower? Especially PSU and motherboard?

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

Just now, Mooshi said:

All PCI slots have limited wattage. You're not going to run a GTX 1050 To on PCIE power anyway, it's going to be connected to a power cable.

A 1050TI can run solely off PCIe

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs

31 minutes ago, Tsar_Maple said:

Do you have specs for the tower? Especially PSU and motherboard?

I have a 275w PSU and Intel's Q65 chipset. Should I get a higher wattage PSU for the GTX 1050ti? Or is my mobo's PCIe slot locked at 35w? 

25 minutes ago, Tsar_Maple said:

Some of the 1050 Ti don't have a power connector as they take power from the PCIe slot. However, that willl obviously limit thei OC performance.

31 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

All PCI slots have limited wattage. You're not going to run a GTX 1050 ti on PCIE power anyway, it's going to be connected to a power cable.

wrong , there is no extra power cable connections to th gfx card

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Some of the 1050 Ti don't have a power connector as they take power from the PCIe slot. However, that willl obviously limit thei OC performance.

Yup correct, if they're branded as OC (My STRIX  for example), they usually have a 6 pin. Otherwise they're usually just a single fan with no connector.

6 minutes ago, Nalla Will Jr said:

I have a 275w PSU and Intel's Q65 chipset. Should I get a higher wattage PSU for the GTX 1050ti? Or is my mobo's PCIe slot locked at 35w? 

Honestly locked at 35W might be the case.. I'm no expert, but that sounds most plausible as Dell doesn't exactly build those models with upgrading in mind

just for a heads up, I have a dell 3020 sff running with a 750ti low profile (60w draw) and ive spliced the gfx card fan power leads into the psu hdd power sup just to releave power draw thru pcie. system has been running for 2yrs no probs .htpc

28 minutes ago, jools said:

just for a heads up, I have a dell 3020 sff running with a 750ti low profile (60w draw) and ive spliced the gfx card fan power leads into the psu hdd power sup just to releave power draw thru pcie. system has been running for 2yrs no probs .htpc

What is the PCIe wattage of your motherboard stated as? 

If I get the 1050ti GPU and a 400w PSU, will the GPU work okay? 

Had a 790 sff with a 1050ti, no issues gaming.

have a 7010 sff with a 1050ti, no issues gaming.

both 1050ti’s were from gigabyte not that it matters. 

You usually dont buy a low end card like a 1050ti to overclock so don’t worry about those saying it won’t have as much potential.

it games great. It runs off pci power even in the dell’s. And it plays 4K video perfect with the appropriate applications. I use Kodi.

personally I always recommend the low profile card because you can shove it in a sff pc when it no longer meets your gaming requirements and is an excellent 4K playback card.

27 minutes ago, Pip313 said:

You usually dont buy a low end card like a 1050ti to overclock so don’t worry about those saying it won’t have as much potential.

it games great. It runs off pci power even in the dell’s. And it plays 4K video perfect with the appropriate applications. I use Kodi.

personally I always recommend the low profile card because you can shove it in a sff pc when it no longer meets your gaming requirements and is an excellent 4K playback card.

Thanks.. That actually helped

31 minutes ago, Pip313 said:

What's the wattage on your PSU? For the 790 and 7010

The factory one. 240w I believe. You really can’t upgrade those psu’s.

but even if your cpu is 90w and the gpu is 75w that still leaves you 75w for a Hdd, motherboard and ram. Which is fine.

remember the 75w tdp isn’t what it actually uses it’s what the heatsink is rated for. 

5 hours ago, Tsar_Maple said:

I was thinking about the mini 1060 in the other rig, my bad lol

a gt 1030 will run on 35 watts and will allow e-sports gaming at 60 fps

Have a nice day:)

PC:    CPU: Core i7 4790k   I   GPU: MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor   I   COOLING: Custom water loop (cpu and gpu)  I  RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz   I   SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500Gb   I   HDD: WD blue 1TB, Hitatchi 2TB, Generic 1TB   I   PSU: EVGA 500w

But a 1050ti will play new aaa games at decent graphics settings and framerates for a budget card. And it’s literally the best you can get for a sff htpc/gaming pc.

tx pip its posts like yours that breed new life into old cheap dells

I love the optiplex’s for some reason. Probably because they are plentiful and cheap. The sff ones even look nice. The mt of which I also have don’t look bad either.