Recommended Cooling?! i3 Build.

Ja55ie
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

if you dont game, then yea stock cooling will be 100% adequate. Both fans and cooler will be just fine for web surfing and keep you safe. 

Good morning fellow LinusTechTippers,

I am building my very first pc and I wanted some insight as to how much cooling I would need for my build. I am not gaming on this pc as I use my PS4 for that and as such I currently do not need a graphics cars. The build of the system is as below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RmQWcY

My question really is if the 2 stock fans that come with the EVGA case will be enough for cooling? As well as the stock CPU fan. Don’t plan on running heavy tasks as well. Would you guys buy additional case/cpu fans? 

Any input would be great! Thank you! xD

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

if you dont game, then yea stock cooling will be 100% adequate. Both fans and cooler will be just fine for web surfing and keep you safe. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Web browsing , movies , and ofice workload? with that you are ok

If you are going to game with that pc and a gpu buy also a cpu cooler.

If not you are ok :D 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Stock cooler is fine. I would get 1x8gb ram instead so that you have an upgrade path to 16gb and also get a better psu like the CX450 instead. Evga's 400w N1 is pretty crap, to the point where I wouldn't trust using it with any pc.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Use the stock cooler unless you want complete silence. You also don't need additional fans.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Okay amazing, thank you ! 

3 hours ago, Peskanova said:

Web browsing , movies , and ofice workload? with that you are ok

If you are going to game with that pc and a gpu buy also a cpu cooler.

If not you are ok :D 

Thank you! I likely will just be watching 4K60 movies with beyond nothing beyond that. Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Stock cooler is fine. I would get 1x8gb ram instead so that you have an upgrade path to 16gb and also get a better psu like the CX450 instead. Evga's 400w N1 is pretty crap, to the point where I wouldn't trust using it with any pc.

Thank you for the recommendation for the PSU, was looking at it and it's quite cheap. I'll make sure to get a quality one, thanks for your input! 

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Use the stock cooler unless you want complete silence. You also don't need additional fans.

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, MiNy said:

Stock cooler is completely fine if you're not gaming. You can always pick up a Cyrorig C7 in the future if you feel you need more oomph for cooling your CPU.

Thank you for the recommendation! 

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R 
 | GPU: MSI 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X 10G OC | | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | PSU: MSI MPG A750GF Gold Fully-Modular | Mouse: MSI CLUTCH GM50 | Keyboard: MSI Vigor GK60 Cherry MX Red | 

| Headset: MSI DS502 GAMING Headset | Case: MSI MPG SEKIRA 100R | 

| Displays: AOC AGONAG241QX Gaming Monitor 24" & Acer CB282K 28.0" 2160p 60Hz HDR IPS | Wrist Rest: MSI Vigor WR01 Wrist  Rest | 

10 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Even gaming, stock will probably be fine. Unless one plans on overclocking, or potentially abusing AVX for many hours on end, the stock cooler is adequate enough where you needn't rush out to buy a better one just to finish your build.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Even gaming, stock will probably be fine. Unless one plans on overclocking, or potentially abusing AVX for many hours on end, the stock cooler is adequate enough where you needn't rush out to buy a better one just to finish your build.

You are correct. if he was going to be doing more intensive tasks, only change I would have recommended was increasing case cooling. But hes really not doing much so everything as is at stock are good to go. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card