Rumor: Apple might ditch the lightning port in favor of USB C for the next iPhone in 2019

Source: 9to5 Mac

image.png.82f149fa41179891b66817c69d5f539c.png

Apple is expected to transition its iOS devices to USB-C connectivity later this year, by shipping a Lightning -> USB-C cable and a new 18W charger, previously rendered here. This will move new iPhone buyers over to using USB-C for charging with a cable. It will also mean that customers can take advantage of Type-C fast charging without needing to buy additional accessories.

Next year, Digitimes reports that Apple will add USB-C ports to the iPhone itself. This would be a major shift for the product line and would presumably be the beginning of the end for Apple’s proprietary Lightning connector.

The iPhone in 2007 inherited the iPod’s 30-pin dock connector, and Apple kept the port through 2012. With iPhone 5 in 2012, Apple switched to the Lightning connector. This was controversial at the time as it made a large ecosystem of docks and accessories incompatible with modern iOS devices. A shift to USB-C in 2019 would mean Lightning had a seven-year life span as the primary mechanism for charging Apple’s mobile devices.

The move to Lightning was the starting point for the Apple-devices-need-dongles-for-everything meme; the Apple 30-pin to Lightning dongle was sold separately for $30. However, replacing Lightning with USB-C is likely to be a lot less tumultuous. The sheer number of accessories that depend on the Lightning port is far smaller than the 30 pin’s heyday, as the industry as a whole has adopted wireless connectivity like Bluetooth. USB-C is also an industry standard, which means there is already a wide ecosystem of cables and accessories available. The latest round of iPhones support wireless inductive charging, another reason why there is less dependence on the physical connector. Apple will sell its own wireless charging solution whenever it manages to release AirPower too.

Can they just make it all USB C now? For quite some time, Apple is known to be stubborn when it comes to adapting open standards. Back in 2009, phones mostly use micro USB and Apple was like fuck that we're gonna use our own. The 30 pin connector was used by the iPods of the time and was used by the first iPhone (2007) until the iPhone 4s (2011).apple-pins.jpg.e95dc008dfbb6f2e9c7932ddd194275a.jpg

Then came 2012 with the iPhone 5 as the first iPhone to use the new lightning connector.

iPhone5-4186.jpg.a691a9c16da2d6bb8bf7cba0cfb18061.jpg

I think at the time, lightning is superior to micro USB because you can plug it in any direction without the fear of damaging the pins the way micro USB is susceptible to.

5b211a4e56d6f_microusbvslightning.thumb.jpg.29530388cf7715a836a8446f87cd83fd.jpg

Then a few years later, USB C came in with the same benefits as a lightning port where you can plug it on any orientation plus it supports faster data transfer speeds of USB 3.1 and even Thunderbolt 3. If the rumors are true, then iPhone users don't have to bring extra charging cables for their phones as they can just use whatever charger their laptops are using as long as it's USB C. At this point, what will happen to MFi certification if Apple now ditches lightning for USB C? As far as I know, licensing lightning cable to manufacturers is quite the racket for Apple and Apple's own USB C multiport adapter for the MacBook/Pro is rather lackluster compared to third party solutions. But then I wouldn't be surprised if they do finally adapt USB C. While so many people in this forum love to throw Apple under the bus (and sometimes with good reasons), many seem to have forgotten that it was Apple who was the first one to use USB A I/O in the first iMac (iMac G3 in 1998) even though USB was invented by Intel. Although I think this is more of a result of people wanting coherence of I/O between their computers and their phones and Apple is afraid that people will jump ship to Android if they refuse an open standard like USB C.

Then Intel in collaboration with Apple made a new I/O named Thunderbolt and MacBook Pros and Airs from 2011 are the first ones to have TB1 but uses the mini display port.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110923235855/http://www.apple.com:80/thunderbolt

5b211fc6a1ade_Screenshot-2018-6-13Apple-ThunderboltNext-generationhigh-speedIOtechnology(1).thumb.png.4037d6780d8537ef371cd1aaf363d0db.png

Which makes me wonder why PC case makers and motherboard manufacturers are adding only one or two USB C ports? I'd like to see which one would be bold enough from the likes of MSI, Gigabyte, et.al to make a motherboard that ditches all USB A to USB C.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

40 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Which makes me wonder why PC case makers and motherboard manufacturers are adding only one or two USB C ports? I'd like to see which one would be bold enough from the likes of MSI, Gigabyte, et.al to make a motherboard that ditches all USB A to USB C.

If the motherboard manufacture is willing to pay me all the cable, webcam  and flash drive on USB Type-A to get a Type-C variant or quality adapters, I have no problem.

Case manufactures tend to use generic parts for the front I/O circuit, and not in house. That is why you see USB port cutout too large for the USB plug, and that is why the USB plug metal casing isn't matching the case color (example: USB metal casing is not painted black to match the black case, and so is instead aluminum). So until Chinese manufacture updates their generic I/O board that they sale to case manufactures to have more or all USB Type-C, you won't see much. Once that is done, than the case manufacture can work with motherboard manufactures to add the needed connectors on the motherboard for case support.

Even though I don't care, they should and stop using their prolapsed connector. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Case manufactures tend to use generic parts for the front I/O circuit, and not in house. That is why you see USB port cutout too large for the case plug, and that is why the USB plug metal casing isn't matching the case color (example: black instead of aluminum). So until Chinese manufacture updates their generic I/O board that they sale to case manufactures, you won't see much. Once that is done, than the case manufacture can work with motherboard manufactures to add the needed connectors on the motherboard.

A guy can dream. We managed to get over 31/2 floppy disk drives, then CD-ROM drives, even legacy plugins like Adobe Flash. I'm pretty sure people will get used to USB C eventually and during the transition phase, USB A to USB C adapters will become a thing for a while just like now that Apple is selling a lightning to USB C adapter as well.

Not going to lie, for the longest time I thought Lightning port and Thunderbolt (USB-C) where just male and female compatible connections, respectively, because of the names; after using them, I now know better.

On topic, I think this will be a good move on Apple's part, too bad a generation of iHomes will now require dongles.

13 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

On topic, I think this will be a good move on Apple's part, too bad a generation of iHomes will now require dongles.

When Apple transitioned from the 30 pin to lightning in 2012 for the iPhone 5, there was a bit of negative reaction from iPhone users as well as the fact that the 30 pin to lightning adapter requires a $30 additional fee but as years go by people got used to it. I bet there wouldn't would be that much of a backlash since there are now people who own laptops that charge via USB C and I bet those individuals would love to charge their iPhones from a single charger.

Salvation! Apple enthusiasts need no more carry 6 different adapters around! In other news Apple releases $30 USB Type-C to 3.5mm adapter.

Micro B to USB Type A to USB Type C to Lightning to Dock when??

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Salvation! Apple enthusiasts need no more carry 6 different adapters around!

In other news Apple releases $30 USB Type-C to 3.5mm adapter.

The interesting part is that with proprietary port like thunderbolt, apple make money even if ppl by 3rd party cables. so they make lots of money there. changing to usb typeC will make their consumer buy even more cables but they lose the long term income with selling proprietary ports (assuming they dont have IP on typeC). not sure which one will be more beneficial for them (we all know manufactures dont care abt consumers anymore).

I'm not sure but I think the only reason Apple would transition to USB-C is if they were limited by the connector. USB-C does have three times the pin count which doesn't necessarily mean superior but I think type C is more versatile and has a ton of optional features available. Arguably they'd probably also want the interoperability between all their devices.

On the other hand Apple loathes the idea of not controlling it so I'm assuming they'll implement MFi on their stuff so only official cables would work. Otherwise I don't see them doing this. They're loving the MFi program; how they control and profit from it.

If they're adopting USB-C as is, then I think it's a hoax. Apple needs a reason to do something. Preferably a reason that involves money or power. They don't care if it's just to improve user experience or improve the ecosystem.

4 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I bet those individuals would love to charge their iPhones from a single charger.

Honestly, this would be the biggest benefit from this possible change. 

Late to the party as usual...

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

I'm not sure but I think the only reason Apple would transition to USB-C is if they were limited by the connector. USB-C does have three times the pin count which doesn't necessarily mean superior but I think type C is more versatile and has a ton of optional features available. Arguably they'd probably also want the interoperability between all their devices.

The lightning port is still on USB 2.0 if I'm not mistaken, I think we can call that a significant limit. It's also pretty absurd that both of their laptops come with USB-C exclusively but they phone doesn't and needs an adapter to connect to them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

The interesting part is that with proprietary port like thunderbolt, apple make money even if ppl by 3rd party cables. so they make lots of money there. changing to usb typeC will make their consumer buy even more cables but they lose the long term income with selling proprietary ports (assuming they dont have IP on typeC). not sure which one will be more beneficial for them (we all know manufactures dont care abt consumers anymore).

Thunderbolt (or at least the controller) was created as a joint venture between Apple and Intel, Intel has made Thunderbolt royalty free so Apple theoretically should not be earning revenue off it any more.

I think the loss of those sales will not matter to them, selling 80 million iPhones at $300 profit per year would blow the cables out of the water profit wise.

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

On the other hand Apple loathes the idea of not controlling it so I'm assuming they'll implement MFi on their stuff so only official cables would work. Otherwise I don't see them doing this. They're loving the MFi program; how they control and profit from it.

Apple is probably making money from licensing the Thunderbolt 3 I/O from PC OEMs since they're a co-developer of TB3 together with Intel. An iPhone 8/X owner can use a Samsung wireless charger so I can't see a reason why they should MFi USB C since they don't have an intellectual property on the interface.

Edited by captain_to_fire

7 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Salvation! Apple enthusiasts need no more carry 6 different adapters around! In other news Apple releases $30 USB Type-C to 3.5mm adapter.

Micro B to USB Type A to USB Type C to Lightning to Dock when??

I have a feeling that they will put a lock chip to ensure that ONLY "quality" accessories (Apple only accessories) will work with the device.

Just now, Sauron said:

Late to the party as usual...

The lightning port is still on USB 2.0 if I'm not mistaken, I think we can call that a significant limit. It's also pretty absurd that both of their laptops come with USB-C exclusively but they phone doesn't and needs an adapter to connect to them.

The iPad Pro has USB 3.0 in some fashion but it requires a new dongle (of course, it's Apple).

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I have a feeling that they will put a lock chip to ensure that ONLY "quality" accessories (Apple only accessories) will work with the device.

That would then conflict with the "It just works" ideal Apple attempts to create.

It is one thing if the cable doesn't work because it physically is incompatible but if users cannot charge their phone simply because either the cable or charger is not genuine there will be an issue. Most people will not accept paying $30 per 3 months for new cables just to get their phone to work.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

A MacBook owner can use third party USB C adapters and I don't think there was an MFi certification for the Mac. An iPhone X owner can charge wirelessly using a Samsung wireless charger. Mophie and others sells third party battery extending cases for the iPhone which looks better so I can't see a reason why Apple would want to do it. 

16 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

That would then conflict with the "It just works" ideal Apple attempts to create.

It is one thing if the cable doesn't work because it physically is incompatible but if users cannot charge their phone simply because either the cable or charger is not genuine there will be an issue. Most people will not accept paying $30 per 3 months for new cables just to get their phone to work.

Well, they could limit functionality in non-certified accessories. For example with your charging example it could limit it to 5W instead of the supposed 18W fast charging. A baseline spec; or minimal if you will. Certified for full. It would annoy but not block.

It won’t happen.  The lightning connector is better than the type C connector. Easier to plug in, smoother, slightly smaller. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Well, they could limit functionality in non-certified accessories. For example with your charging example it could limit it to 5W instead of the supposed 18W fast charging. A baseline spec; or minimal if you will. Certified for full. It would annoy but not block.

I doubt they would be that petty, if they had that sort of mindset why would they allow fast charging (I am assuming here that they do) on Lightning for 3rd party cables where the Lightning IP is theirs? I however fully expect them to do this to the cables which do not meet the base Type-C requirements.

50 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It won’t happen.  The lightning connector is better than the type C connector. Easier to plug in, smoother, slightly smaller. 

That's a ridiculous statement.

And if this rumor is true that would pretty much refute that statement.

No they aren't. These rumor mills have been saying this for a long time. At best Apple might move to USB-C to replace the USB-A end of their lighting cables. 

It makes 0 business sense to switch to a standard that you have to pay royalties for when you could use your own standard that you get to charge others to use......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No they aren't. These rumor mills have been saying this for a long time. At best Apple might move to USB-C to replace the USB-A end of their lighting cables. 

It makes 0 business sense to switch to a standard that you have to pay royalties for when you could use your own standard that you get to charge others to use......

What royalties?

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

What royalties?

You don't get to use USB for free you know......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You don't get to use USB for free you know......

What royalties?