Net Neutrality is Dead.

airlexccy
Message added by SansVarnic

As politically motivated as this topic is... Keep comments as neutral as possible.

Arguments, Derailing and Bating commentary will be removed with warnings issued.

Lets keep this a civil discussion.

It has been noted since NN started that the forum will allow the topic as Linus wants people to be able to discuss this openly.

The Mod team does not want to lock this, so do not take advantage or we may be forced to.

Thank you

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Welcome to a double-layered Divide & Conquer Strategy. Only works if the media is complicit, though.

So, who owns the Media?

Fewer people, now.

Thanks to some jackass judge who saw nothing wrong with okaying even bigger monopolies.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I always forget if I'm suppose to be for or against net neutrality. I've tried making my mind up on what I think on the issue but there's always arguments that points me in both ways and I give up because I don't care too much.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Fewer people, now.

Thanks to some jackass judge who saw nothing wrong with okaying even bigger monopolies.

Normal question with judges: where do their family work? Corruption across all major economies is getting worse & worse.

We're in for some ugly decades, and this is just one of those microcosms of it.

2 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

I always forget if I'm suppose to be for or against net neutrality. I've tried making my mind up on what I think on the issue but there's always arguments that points me in both ways and I give up because I don't care too much.

Don't worry, everyone is dead already from... (checks this week's list) plastic in the ocean!

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Normal question with judges: where do their family work? Corruption across all major economies is getting worse & worse.

We're in for some ugly decades, and this is just one of those microcosms of it.

I think it's going to be far uglier in the US than anyone realizes.

Let's just hope that humanity learns its fucking lesson this time. Money and power corrupt. No one should be above question.

Anyone remember the "internet freedom act" that sought to end Net Neutrality? The bi-partisan bill to "Free up" the ISP's from all these "terrible regulations"?

Yeah. There aren't two parties.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I think it's going to be far uglier in the US than anyone realizes.

Let's just hope that humanity learns its fucking lesson this time. Money and power corrupt. No one should be above question.

Anyone remember the "internet freedom act" that sought to end Net Neutrality? The bi-partisan bill to "Free up" the ISP's from all these "terrible regulations"?

Yeah. There aren't two parties.

IG just took a dive for the FBI today, in fact. (Little hint: if an American has a SAP-flagged document in their possession, that wasn't previously public, you're looking at 5-10 years in prison as a matter of course.)

Oh, I'm quite aware where this is going. The USA is already in a pretty "hot" civil war 2.0, and we're going to be seeing domestic warfare across most major economies. Minus Japan and maybe China. This is all utterly predictable, but the people that control the Media work hard to make sure no one can see it. 

45 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

IG just took a dive for the FBI today, in fact. (Little hint: if an American has a SAP-flagged document in their possession, that wasn't previously public, you're looking at 5-10 years in prison as a matter of course.)

Oh, I'm quite aware where this is going. The USA is already in a pretty "hot" civil war 2.0, and we're going to be seeing domestic warfare across most major economies. Minus Japan and maybe China. This is all utterly predictable, but the people that control the Media work hard to make sure no one can see it. 

We're pretty safe in Australia,  too many people think they run the country. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

48 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Are, are you serious. The US being in a civil war is news to me. Calm down. Like, seriously.

First off, yes. Net Neutrality is beaten by the FCC. But to call it dead is hilarious. Washington State just passed a Net Neutrality law.

Second. If you think the US is destroyed you should check out this thing in Europe called Article 13. Maybe, just maybe you need to take break from the media.

4 minutes ago, Silverdogz said:

Are, are you serious. The US being in a civil war is news to me. Calm down. Like, seriously.

First off, yes. Net Neutrality is beaten by the FCC. But to call it dead is hilarious. Washington State just passed a Net Neutrality law.

Second. If you think the US is destroyed you should check out this thing in Europe called Article 13. Maybe, just maybe you need to take break from the media.

I'd take article 13 over the debacle that is US ISP regulation any day.  I don't even have to think about it.   Overpriced monopolistic internet companies versus the inconvenience of a few websites having to run filters on user uploaded content?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I'd take article 13 over the debacle that is US ISP regulation any day.  I don't even have to think about it.   Overpriced monopolistic internet companies versus the inconvenience of a few websites having to run filters on user uploaded content?

Article 13 is exactly the same as the loss net neutrality just under the guise of copyright protection.

By requiring Internet platforms to perform automatic filtering all of the content that their users upload, Article 13 takes an unprecedented step towards the transformation of the Internet from an open platform for sharing and innovation, into a tool for the automated surveillance and control of its users.

Europe has been served well by the balanced liability model established under the Ecommerce Directive, under which those who upload content to the Internet bear the principal responsibility for its legality, while platforms are responsible to take action to remove such content once its illegality has been brought to their attention. By inverting this liability model and essentially making platforms directly responsible for ensuring the legality of content in the first instance, the business models and investments of platforms large and small will be impacted. The damage that this may do to the free and open Internet as we know it is hard to predict, but in our opinions could be substantial.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/06/the-founding-fathers-of-the-internet-plead-with-eu-to-squash-its-bad-copyright-bill/

Look, yeah. The US has stripped the regulations. BUT, I have yet to see everything spiral into what people have been claiming. The companies know that right now it is politically untenable to put fast lanes in. That might change in the future but the amount of fear mongering in this thread is ridiculous. A second Civil War? Give me a break.

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

We're pretty safe in Australia,  too many people think they run the country. 

Well, if your leaders don't sell out the entire country to the Chinese, though any major conflict within a Western Power would collapse the Chinese economy pretty quickly. 

4 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

This is news to me, where did you hear about it?

The Inspector General's report or the "hot" civil war 2.0? First major IG report is currently in the news, though parts of the other is as well. People already forget the congressional baseball game being shot up by an big fan of Bernie. Plus countless other things. Remember, you don't don't toe the line, publicly, you're a "Insert Racial Insult & Defamatory Statement". These are classic preludes to armed civil conflict. 

10 minutes ago, Silverdogz said:

Article 13 is exactly the same as the loss net neutrality just under the guise of copyright protection.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/06/the-founding-fathers-of-the-internet-plead-with-eu-to-squash-its-bad-copyright-bill/

Look, yeah. The US has stripped the regulations. BUT, I have yet to see everything spiral into what people have been claiming. The companies know that right now it is politically untenable to put fast lanes in. That might change in the future but the amount of fear mongering in this thread is ridiculous. A second Civil War? Give me a break.

NN won't cause civil war 2.0. The structure of things around it just reflect the reason it's pretty much already baked in. It's just a matter of how long it takes to really boil over. Though think more 1845 rather than 1859. Economy is too good for it to descend too quickly.

1 minute ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Oh... But what does Clinton's emails have to do with net neutrality?

Both nothing & everything, actually. The Clintons used a private email to get around FOIA requirements. Okay, whatever, but there's a problem. She, as SoS, was getting the President's Daily Brief plus a lot of other highly classified files being emailed to her. (A number of which should have never been there.) That's what the coverup is about. Comey & Company took a dive to cover up the felonies Hillary committed. The IG said the FBI did lots of stupid things, many of them criminal, but all they did was suggest a few people get fired.

It was all a rope-a-dope, but Hillary didn't win. So now it gets drug out in public, but they don't plan to do anything about it. (We'll see if anything happens.)

NN was sold as this great, important thing. Huge "advocacy" campaigns about it. Know what it was? A slapdash power grab by the previous FCC board to protect Google's market position. (Seems more about Data Sales than Lanes, actually.) Remember that Senate vote to reverse an agency action? I said in the thread that the House would never take it up. Look what happened. Nothing.

We have fake representation in major "representative" governments. And it's not just "Big Business" or "Big Government". It's the unholy alliance of both, plus other factions. Pick your favorite name, but it's real & we're seeing it play out in real time. The major media is all owned by a total of 6 companies (soon to be 5), who exist to protect that unholy alliance. 

It's much the reason to don't expect much of the Fast/Slow lanes stuff to actually show up in consumer options. The point of the factional fighting isn't to charge the end-user more, it's to extract it from the side away from the customer. (This is why Lootboxes happened in Gaming, btw, as it put the extra sales away from the initial sale.) But they light up the entire issue about "you" paying more. The Google Faction had no problem gaslighting most of the Internet to think it was them that'd be paying more, rather than end-point server providers. (Even that is questionable.) 

That's the game, and you're the one left with the bill. This isn't going to end well.

2 hours ago, Silverdogz said:

The left will win the next election cycle, and immediately quadruple down on everything they believe in to an extremist extent, eventually igniting a civil war.

Or maybe it will actually be a "civil" war and the individual states will just pass their own laws and refuse to cowtow to federal law being usurped to create a one party system. Which is exactly what the left will do when they win. Ban anything they deem "offensive".

Can we have an F in the chat for all the amazing things the internet has brought into our lives. Memes, Youtube, video games, forums, online news, vine, the list goes on and on.... 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

6 hours ago, Silverdogz said:

I am fairly well versed with article 13.  tbh I am sick of discussing it given I already went into great detail in the other thread.

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, if your leaders don't sell out the entire country to the Chinese, though any major conflict within a Western Power would collapse the Chinese economy pretty quickly. 

Fortunately our leaders are only one of the groups who think they are in charge.