Net Neutrality is Dead.

airlexccy
Message added by SansVarnic

As politically motivated as this topic is... Keep comments as neutral as possible.

Arguments, Derailing and Bating commentary will be removed with warnings issued.

Lets keep this a civil discussion.

It has been noted since NN started that the forum will allow the topic as Linus wants people to be able to discuss this openly.

The Mod team does not want to lock this, so do not take advantage or we may be forced to.

Thank you

"As of June 11th, the legal protections against content discrimination on the internet are gone. As far as the FCC is concerned, net neutrality is dead." - The Verge

As of June 11th, the repeal of Net Neutrality has been in effect and it is now DEAD. As up right now, nothing much is changing but you will soon might see an effect in your bandwidth for certain sites. This could be seen in Streaming Services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, etc. But for now, your internet should be the same as before June 11th, so don't worry it's going to be alright. There are many other negative factor that come out of this such as these ISP or carrier could now freely to collect and share data (web and search history) to serve targeted ads. Service providers will now serve ads to generate ads dollars. Company like AT&T and Verizon announcing their plan to take advantage on this repealed. 

5b20fde4d32e2_ScreenShot2018-06-13at4_20_02AM.thumb.png.ec5391d7bbb111ed08d9d04ae5760e7a.png

Screenshot from the Video "Net Neutrality is dead -- what now?" from The Verge

To learn more about what will happen. Check out this video from The Verge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=234&v=hIULYHz6BWA

Do you believe that Net Neutrality will be enacted again? -- Give your opinion through the Strawpoll or down in the replies :P

http://www.strawpoll.me/15887814

There are few states like California who passed the bill in the Senate to re-established Net Neutrality. If you are in the United States and you feel strongly about this issue, there is motion in congress right now to rescind the repeal and to bring back 2015 rules. And you could do something about this too! If your state representative are not supported of it and you could check it here: https://www.battleforthenet.com/scoreboard/. If they are not, vote them out and replace with the one who does.

5b20fe4548d0f_ScreenShot2018-06-13at4_19_32AM.thumb.png.5c85de1a04574574975fce1918bebe2b.png

"If you support net neutrality and your representative doesn’t, you can vote them out November and replace them with someone who does."- The Verge

For NOW! To prevent tracking from your ISP or anyone, and browse the web privately! Use a VPN, Private Internet Access, look at LTT video for promotion info. PEACE!

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/11/17439456/net-neutrality-dead-ajit-pai-fcc-internet 

--

"Land of the free" Top Kek

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

2 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

"Land of the free" Top Kek

What you on about, the large corporations are free to do whatever they choose xD

Also this thread will be locked before it reaches the end of page 2.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When most of the world political class is dominated by old people who do not understand the technological trends of the present, we cannot do much about it. :(

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

3 minutes ago, Eibe said:

When most of the world political class is dominated by old people who do not understand the technological trends of the present, we cannot do much about it. :(

Well I think they understand and very well, it seems that you dont understand that how capitalism works. Its the same as any profitable structure (phone,gas,electricity....) come here in spain (and almost every european country) and look how electricity billing works you will laugh at net neutrality

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

Well I think they understand and very well, it seems that you dont understand that how capitalism works. Its the same as any profitable structure (phone,gas,electricity....) come here in spain (and almost every european country) and look how electricity billing works you will laugh at net neutrality

Capitalism only works when there is competition. Honestly I wouldn't care about the repeal if there was real competition in the isp industry but unfortunately there isn't so they can basically do whatever they want and people can't do much about it if they want fast internet. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Capitalism only works when there is competition. Honestly I wouldn't care about the repeal if there was real competition in the isp industry but unfortunately there isn't so they can basically do whatever they want and people can't do much about it if they want fast internet. 

And all of that is because......? 
I think the biggest problem is letting a company make its structure (internet-phone-electricity-gas) without any long term protection , now you have strong companies that dont need to respond to anybody and have a high traffic problem ("thinking naive") they can do what  they want with their structure. Think this on the other way , if they cut your light or your max power, or your water preassure or your gas to make room for a new rich neightbourhood, or just to think that your place/company is bad to move you around. they can do what they want (in some legal margin).

So the problem is not about internet freedom i think , its about to make a private service for tons of people regulated to the point of "consumer rights"? 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

14 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Seize the means of production

When you drink the water, remember the spring.  :ph34r:

Details separate people.

28 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

And all of that is because......? 
I think the biggest problem is letting a company make its structure (internet-phone-electricity-gas) without any long term protection , now you have strong companies that dont need to respond to anybody and have a high traffic problem ("thinking naive") they can do what  they want with their structure. Think this on the other way , if they cut your light or your max power, or your water preassure or your gas to make room for a new rich neightbourhood, or just to think that your place/company is bad to move you around. they can do what they want (in some legal margin).

So the problem is not about internet freedom i think , its about to make a private service for tons of people regulated to the point of "consumer rights"? 

They have the infrastructure because the government gave them the money to make it. Why should they be able to do whatever they want with the infrastructure that we paid for? If other companies had easy access to creating infrastructure to compete like Google fiber for example then it wouldn't be as much of a problem. The issue is that it's not that easy so there is a severe lack of competition. If you had Google fiber everywhere I can almost guarantee that none of this would be an issue but even Google one of the richest companies in the world has struggled to create the nessisary infrastructure. 

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Ok you might post about Net neutrality but please do not discuss politics, it's against the code of conduct.

Well, Net Neutrality is a political decision. Users can try to be as a-political as possible, but if you partake in a discussion you have to state your opinion, and politics is made of opinions. If the discussion is structured and remains a discussion it should be within the code of conduct, if it becomes a flame war such as the ones you see on Facebook 24/7 then I can see your point.

Spoiler

Community standards:

No trolling: this includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

My statement was not even about the US, it was pretty much a fact that affects most of the world's countries and it is quite straightforward. It's just two things that are correlated, I did not mention if it was good or bad, I leave the reader to decide about that.

If my post is deemed against the community standards I apologise and delete it.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

F

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

25 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Net Neutrality is dead! Long live Net Neutrality!

Are people really so short-sighted to think this entire discussion is over?

Yes, yes they are.

You're right...this issue isn't dead.  Besides, maybe this is just an opportunity to re-evaluate Net Neutrality and see if we can make it better.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

24 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Well, Net Neutrality is a political decision.

Most things are but this topic in particular.

Honestly certain topics can't be separated I agree. However the enforcement of those rules is rather uneven and contingent on who's actually on turn moderating at the time. There should be a place for "fringe" topics that will probably cross over but even that is just inviting a dumpster fire because if there's any topic people love discussing in bad faith, that's politics.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This news warms my heart. The faster it all goes to shit the faster ordinary folk will notice that their internet is just not right. I bet there is a youtube personality whos gonna make a name for himself on the topic and will be akin to gamergates sargon of akkad)

There is an old saying, which i made up but who cares, - if things go to shit, help em go faster so you can start fixing the problem sooner.

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Most things are but this topic in particular.

Honestly certain topics can't be separated I agree. However the enforcement of those rules is rather uneven and contingent on who's actually on turn moderating at the time. There should be a place for "fringe" topics that will probably cross over but even that is just inviting a dumpster fire because if there's any topic people love discussing in bad faith, that's politics.

I think we have a very different understanding of what is politics. The way I see it, only Matrix and Taf the Ghost made a non-political comment in this post so far.

EDIT: I re-read your comment and I am unsure whether you meant that this topic and politics can or cannot be separeted. If you meant that they cannot I apologise, otherwise I will keep my statement above.  :) 

Edited by Eibe

Unraid Server

1 minute ago, Techstorm970 said:

Yes, yes they are.

You're right...this issue isn't dead.  Besides, maybe this is just an opportunity to re-evaluate Net Neutrality and see if we can make it better.

Google is the ones that clearly screwed this up. They turned what is really a quite dry subject into something of a Hate Campaign, when this always been about their bottom line. It's always made a significant chunk of the Pro-NN stuff insanely disingenuous. 

It was a propaganda campaign so bad I actually felt sympathy for Comcast. That's like saying, "eh, Flu isn't so terrible, at least it's not cancer". "Fear Campaigns" only work for a bit, NN was already going to drag on too long, and the ability to quip things like, "We're going back to the horrible days off...2014" makes those really pushing the topic look stupid. Strident advocacy in the face of logical criticism pushes the interested away from your position. 

4 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I think we have a very different understanding of what is politics. The way I see it, only Matrix and Taf the Ghost made a non-political comment in this post so far.

Fair enough.

Should have said partisan politics a.k.a. topics that are more directly tied to mainstream political discussions. Not sure if that's also an accurate term but well perhaps it's more clear now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Fair enough.

Should have said partisan politics a.k.a. topics that are more directly tied to mainstream political discussions. Not sure if that's also an accurate term but well perhaps it's more clear now.

I might have misunderstood you (see my post edit). If I did, I'm sorry. 

Unraid Server

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Fair enough.

The topic is definitely political, but it also doesn't fall along easy lines. The reason it somewhat falls similar to American Left/Right dynamics is actually due to the City/non-City distinctions. The lower the population density place you live, the generally less Utility options you'll have, simply due to the realities of geography and markets. For a good chunk of Americans, this topic is little different than complaining about not having more options for a Power Company.

For those in much higher density regions, options are very different, thus responses are different as well. Considering how many responses we've seen that have been close to "THIS IS THE END OF THE INTERNET!!", it's reasonable to assume a lot of people simply don't view it in that regard, which drives people into a bifurcated set of options.

Also, aren't we all supposed to be dead already from this? I missed the mass casualties. Though I'm also trying to find this nuclear war that was supposed to have happened.

I said this from the very beginning. And I stick with it.

Net Neutrality was a ploy by the FCC, a politically based and motivated move with no real merritt or positive gain for consumers.

Though I have debated this many times in and out of the forum it still stands as true.

As it is, Please remember to keep this conversation as political neutral as possible or this thread will be locked.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

36 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I said this from the very beginning. And I stick with it.

Net Neutrality was a ploy by the FCC, a politically based and motivated move with no real merritt or positive gain for consumers.

Though I have debated this many times in and out of the forum it still stands as true.

I tend to agree with you.

NN is/was a government instituted solution to a government created problem. What we need to do is get rid of the ISP monopolies the government has created when municipalities have given exclusive service rights to ISPs. Once we open up those doors, all of the problems pretty well evaporate with increased competition on the local level. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro