Using a switch and splitter, will it cause issues?

radmanhs

After looking around, I learned hdmi 2.0 matrices are crazy expensive, however individual switches and splitters are rather cheap. I was wondering if there would be any issues such as color fading or latency if you use a switch for 3 devices, then send it to a splitter to play on one of 2 displays. 

15 minutes ago, radmanhs said:

After looking around, I learned hdmi 2.0 matrices are crazy expensive, however individual switches and splitters are rather cheap. I was wondering if there would be any issues such as color fading or latency if you use a switch for 3 devices, then send it to a splitter to play on one of 2 displays. 

My mum broke one of the 2 HDMI ports on her TV (don't ask me how, apparently it just broke while a cable was plugged in) and so couldn't connect both her Sky TV box & Firestick.

She bought a 3 port HDMI switch from Amazon and tbh it was garbage. The signal kept dropping out for no reason, it would be working one minute then die the next and the only way to get it back was to disconnect then reconnect the cable. There was also times when the image would have a weird green tint to it and finally the thing kept switching to another port on its own.

She returned it and bought a different brand which was a little better but still kept cutting out all the time.

In the end I got so annoyed with her ringing me every hour about her TV dying a convinced her to buy another TV. I put it up for her 2 weeks ago and she hasn't rang me once since.

Basically I wouldn't recommend them, they don't work properly.

Edit

Oh and before I forget the first box she had gave me an electric shock as I was disconnecting it which I found odd as it was powered from the 5v 2a USB port on the TV but it was powerful enough to make my hand jump involuntarily.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

43 minutes ago, radmanhs said:

yesterday I brought a Comsol 5 Port HDMI Switch online as I am hoping to do this sort of setup 

image.png.a91155dc8b40c821f98d3c8e6e4650f6.png

I wont be getting the splitter until I can afford a TV as its of no use until then but the 5 Way switch should arrive tomorrow I will tell you my opinion of it when I set it up and get a chance to use it

9 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

yesterday I brought a Comsol 5 Port HDMI Switch online as I am hoping to do this sort of setup 

image.png.a91155dc8b40c821f98d3c8e6e4650f6.png

I wont be getting the splitter until I can afford a TV as its of no use until then but the 5 Way switch should arrive tomorrow I will tell you my opinion of it when I set it up and get a chance to use it

Awesome, that is basically the exact same setup I'm going for 

10 hours ago, radmanhs said:

Awesome, that is basically the exact same setup I'm going for 

sweet :) !!!!!. the switch that I got 

http://www.comsol.com.au/Products-by-Category/HDMI-Video-Cables/COHD501

so far (3 hrs) I haven't noticed any tinting issues with the display, to the point where you cannot really tell the difference between the displays, though the switch only allows up to 1080p to feed through it. the naruto will be replaced for the ps4 console when i get an xbox one s to go in my parents room (they use the ps4 for netflix and stan in their room, but in the lounge room is the xbox one x and my father prefers it (took like 4 hrs to explain how to use it haha)) i haven't seen any problems with the monitor except maybe the quality of the picture though it could be the monitors as i only set them up today and i haven't changed any of the built in settings with them yet, i will do that probably when i get home from work tonight, if you would like i can reply with how i go with that :))

but overall this switch works as well as you would want it to for a switch, i haven't noticed it dropping the picture except switching to my desktop, though i think it is my desktop switching from 2 displays to 1 or 1 to 2 so most likely isnt the switches fault

35236444_1784987921548761_81515956371340

35162267_1784987904882096_13132649216679