0&1

How Action Cameras Focus Everywhere

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

I wonder how action cameras like GoPro's for instance are able to focus at everything at the same time. They're not like regular cameras that are manual focus or autofocus.

Higher F number, less depth of field, focus at infinity.

My sound system uses more power than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 DCUII | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 White | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Ducky ONE RGB White TKL | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 55" TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Higher F number, less depth of field, focus at infinity.

Ok cool thx for the answer, can you explain in more detail plz like why the f number and the depth of field make infinity focus.

7 hours ago, 0&1 said:

Ok cool thx for the answer, can you explain in more detail plz like why the f number and the depth of field make infinity focus.

These are all simple camera terms, I would suggest you look up some beginner's guides to DSLR and photography/video.

It basically just makes everything sharp regardless of the distance from the camera.

My sound system uses more power than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 DCUII | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 White | Seasonic Platinum 760 | Fractal Design Kelvin S24 | Ducky ONE RGB White TKL | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 55" TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II

Also, very wide lens. 

The dpeth of field in an image or video is determined by the focal length of the lens and the aperture of the lens. e.g. a 16mm lens at f/2.8 will result in more things being in focus than a 100mm at f/2.8, or even at a smaller aperture for that matter. 

Go pros have extremely wide angle lenses, which results in more depth of field. 

A quick google search will explain the physics of the optics quite easily and its a very simple concept to grasp. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

10 hours ago, 0&1 said:

Hi,

I wonder how action cameras like GoPro's for instance are able to focus at everything at the same time. They're not like regular cameras that are manual focus or autofocus.

very short focal length of a lens used by action cameras anything after some small centimeter in front of a lens is typically in infinity focus.  with the tiny sensor of the camera and narrow aperture of the lens the rays of light entering are more converged than when light enters a wider aperture, smaller circle of confusion.

12 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

very short focal length of a lens used by action cameras anything after some small centimeter in front of a lens is typically in infinity focus.  with the tiny sensor of the camera and narrow aperture of the lens the rays of light entering are more converged than when light enters a wider aperture, smaller circle of confusion.

Cool, could you plz show this in an image or drawing?

On 6/14/2018 at 9:27 AM, 0&1 said:

Cool, could you plz show this in an image or drawing?

- With a larger aperture you basically have a bigger lens collecting the light rays. This means that outside (closer or further away) of the focal point where the light rays cross, they diverge more quickly because of the larger angle difference between them, meaning more blur. A pinhole camera would be an example of a camera with very small aperture, where light rays enter parallel to each other through the pinhole and everything is sort of in focus.

image.png.161c3b8ead88d0ca37ca695700fafac9.png

- The "physical" size of the blur relative to the objects you are taking picture of stays the same regardless of the focal length and only depends on the aperture. However, with wide-angle lens faraway objects appear very small in the picture, but so does the blur, so it looks like everything is in focus.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360mm + 480mm + 1080mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: Kingston HyperX 240 & 120 GB SSD,  3x Seagate 1 TB HDD raid 0

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/