Is 24” or 27” better at 1440p?

Go to solution Solved by IAnthonyFX,
1 hour ago, Freefaller said:

I've been looking at 2 monitors, the Dell S2417DG and Dell S2716DGR. They are essentially the same, just different sizes. They are 1440p, 144-165hz, G-Sync, and have a good colour gamut for TN panels. I just don’t know if the smaller model is better because of a higher ppi, 121ppi, compared to 108ppi on the 27” model. Is the more immersive and bigger screen worth the dip in screen quality? Is it very noticeable?

I would go for the bigger screen. in fact I did went for the bigger one ^^!. But yes, surely the smaller one is a bit better when it comes to pixel density, would you notice? I doubt it. It all comes down to refresh rate and size not so much pixel density. 144 was enough for me, is it for you? 27 inch i find to be a good size, would you prefer an smaller screen?

edit: IPS vs TN:
sure IPS has better colour accuracy, and a TN looks weird from the sides (not so much in the dell monitor to be fair) But then do you bend your neck when playing? TN get bothersome to me only when I try to watch a movie with my gf, but that is it. It is your cash, you do as you please.

I've been looking at 2 monitors, the Dell S2417DG and Dell S2716DGR. They are essentially the same, just different sizes. They are 1440p, 144-165hz, G-Sync, and have a good colour gamut for TN panels. I just don’t know if the smaller model is better because of a higher ppi, 121ppi, compared to 108ppi on the 27” model. Is the more immersive and bigger screen worth the dip in screen quality? Is it very noticeable?

Desktop: Intel i7-8086K, Asus ROG Maximus X Code (probably, still can’t decide), NZXT Kraken X62 280mm, Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz, Corsair CX750M PSU, be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Inverted, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 500GB SSD, Samsung 850 Evo SATA 250GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD.

Laptop: Coming Soon

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder Elite Chroma, Razer Ornata Chroma, HyperX Cloud II Headset, Corsair Very-Large Mouse Mat

27in, I have 2 24in monitors and I regret it, 24in is too small for games like PUBG.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

27in, I have 2 24in monitors and I regret it, 24in is too small for games like PUBG.

I also recently read an article about monitor mythbusting and it said that IPS panels have a better colour gamut and their increased response time doesn’t matter. Should I consider a Predator XB271HU instead?

Desktop: Intel i7-8086K, Asus ROG Maximus X Code (probably, still can’t decide), NZXT Kraken X62 280mm, Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz, Corsair CX750M PSU, be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Inverted, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 500GB SSD, Samsung 850 Evo SATA 250GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD.

Laptop: Coming Soon

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder Elite Chroma, Razer Ornata Chroma, HyperX Cloud II Headset, Corsair Very-Large Mouse Mat

1 minute ago, Freefaller said:

I also recently read an article about monitor mythbusting and it said that IPS panels have a better colour gamut and their increased response time doesn’t matter. Should I consider a Predator XB271HU instead?

IPS does have better color, but 4ms on IPS compared to 1ms on TN doesn't matter. That's a good monitor.

i have a 27in 1440p monitor for a few years, i think it's the sweet spot size. tho you can get away with larger 

As another owner of a 27inch 1440P.  Yep, it is the sweet spot to me.

And, on the choice of either a IPS or TN.  Boils down to what matters most to you: better color accuracy or the lowest latency you can get.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

If you are going bigger than 27", buy 1440P.

1080P on a 27" looks a bit weird and I can see pixels individually.

hi.

1 hour ago, Freefaller said:

I would go for the bigger screen. in fact I did went for the bigger one ^^!. But yes, surely the smaller one is a bit better when it comes to pixel density, would you notice? I doubt it. It all comes down to refresh rate and size not so much pixel density. 144 was enough for me, is it for you? 27 inch i find to be a good size, would you prefer an smaller screen?

edit: IPS vs TN:
sure IPS has better colour accuracy, and a TN looks weird from the sides (not so much in the dell monitor to be fair) But then do you bend your neck when playing? TN get bothersome to me only when I try to watch a movie with my gf, but that is it. It is your cash, you do as you please.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

The high end TN panels are as good as a mid-range IPS panels. 27" is definitely the sweet spot for 1440p

That's an F in the profile pic