NO vega 7nm for PC, Sony priorty for AMD..

Deedot78

Article over at WCCFTECH outlines amd's new roadmoap.  Highlighting its RTG priority of semicustom silicon(consoles) over PC gamer enthusiast  parts. Due to margins and steady income streams.  So literally Nvidia will have NO Competition for the foreseeable future.  AMD has abandoned us for console glory..........(Also highlights RTG struggle with LIsa Su, and no having control over there own resources, speculation on Raja Koduri.

• Vega 7nm will not be coming to gamers.
  • Navi 10 will be the first Navi part to arrive and will be landing sometime in 2H 2019 or early 2020, depending on a couple of factors. The performance level of this part will be equivalent to Vega and it will be a small GPU based on 7nm.
  • Navi 14 will follow Navi 10 soon after.
  • Navi 20 is going to be the true high-end GPU built on the 7nm node and as things stand right now, you are tentatively looking at it landing sometime around 2021.
  • Navi will also be the first architecture to transition away from GCN (and along with it, the 4096 SP / 64 CU limit that is inherent to the uArch implementation.)
  • ‘Next-Gen’ architecture is the uArch formerly codenamed KUMA internally before AMD decided it didn’t like that name too much (oops) and will be based on the same brand new major architecture that AMD rolls out with Navi.

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-navi-gpu-roadmap-cost-zen/

Other sources of similar info"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/06/12/sources-amd-created-navi-for-sonys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#4a2b2f0924fd

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/46526-big-navi-20-is-2020-or-later

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8643/ps5-powered-navi-2020-amd-making-sony-input/index.html

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

i dont think this a issue they are a company they need expand besides they have been making parts for xbox forever 

in 2019 nVidia releases the GTX 1085 Ti, GTX 1090 (dual 1080) and TITAN Xpp & TITAN Zp... GTX 1060 Ti and GTX 1075... oh yes and the GT1020... Pascal going stronger than ever... and AMD still clueless on how to beat it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Interesting. I didn't think they'd have the guts to do something like this. Definitely the smartest option though now that they've carved themselves substantial breathing room in the CPU sector.

1 minute ago, savagepain said:

i dont think this a issue they are a company they need expand besides they have been making parts for xbox forever 

I can understand pulling some resources to insure the company Survives, but RTG road mad is getting dictated by console market. How long did we wait for Vega for it to be a dud?

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

Navi was supposed to be Vega 7nm with the infinity fabric, so idk about this

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

in 2019 nVidia releases the GTX 1085 Ti, GTX 1090 (dual 1080) and TITAN Xpp & TITAN Zp... GTX 1060 Ti and GTX 1075... oh yes and the GT1020... Pascal going stronger than ever... and AMD still clueless on how to beat it.

1090 plz I want

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Deedot78 said:

I can understand pulling some resources to insure the company Survives, but RTG road mad is getting dictated by console market. How long did we wait for Vega for it to be a dud?

It's not dictated by the console market, it's dictated by the fact that pushing GCN is quite simply no longer viable in the high end gaming market. Makes more sense to build the new architecture from the ground up, especially if Navi is going to be MCM tech.

Hehehehehehe

Not even a week after AMD fans were mad I suggested AMD doesn't gives a fuck about gamers.

Technically this is still 'gamers' just not PC gamers that is.

I feel I should call it now: Radeon division as a PC gaming hardware thing has it's days numbered. It will be probably streamed down into supporting just 3 things:

1) Mining

2) Workstation and overall Compute use (Different from mining due to the feature set only really, but no expensive driver optimization required)

3) APU and integrated solutions for places like consoles.

I honestly think this might be a good step for them as a company overall.

It's just that you know...we're left with the Angry, Murderous 800 pound green gorilla in the room called Nvidia and well that's no good for PC gaming at all...

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

AMD isn't clueless, they know exactly how to beat Pascal. They're investing in the future right now. They can't afford to tell sony and microsoft to go fuck themselves, they've been the most loyal customers to AMD since the PS3 and Xbox 360 released. Giving them priority is the right move, for now and for the future.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

imagine Nvidia either preparing against this, or about to go through the exact thing intel had with Threadripper o_o

AMD has presumably been working on MCM stuff internally for the past 2-3 years. Nvidia only just put out a theoretical white paper on the subject 6-7 months ago. At a guess the returns on MCM with GCN weren't good enough to justify punting it out this quickly and so the original plan for Navi was scrapped and it was folded over into the new architecture. That said, if nVidia dumps enough money into R&D they could probably steal a march from AMD on it. All depends on if CUDA is workable with MCM or if they too would need a new architecture..

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hehehehehehe

Not even a week after AMD fans were mad I suggested AMD doesn't gives a fuck about gamers.

Technically this is still 'gamers' just not PC gamers that is.

I feel I should call it now: Radeon division as a PC gaming hardware thing has it's days numbered. It will be probably streamed down into supporting just 3 things:

1) Mining

2) Workstation and overall Compute use (Different from mining due to the feature set only really, but no expensive driver optimization required)

3) APU and integrated solutions for places like consoles.

I honestly think this might be a good step for them as a company overall.

It's just that you know...we're left with the Angry, Murderous 800 pound green gorilla in the room called Nvidia and well that's no good for PC gaming at all...

well thats a good way for them to ensure that the survive in the market they would never abandon pc gamers we are one of their main markets because the main stream pc gamer has a budget ryzen in their system like the ryzen 5 1600 also i dont know why they are getting mad now lol they have been doing this forever with the xbox and hell i cant remmber that well correct me if im wrong didnt the ps2 had a amd apu in it and i dont think vega would stand to take another beating by nvidia that would be end of that unless they are able to something massive with vega it wont survive in the pc market because they would be stupidly overpriced because low stock *cough cough* vega 56 and vega 64 you can never find one in stock for msrp prove me wrong lol so i think its good that console is getting that tech as amd fan i hope they do bring it to pc as long there is a lot of stock if its under preforming then it would be good for the main stream if the price is ok 

15 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

AMD isn't clueless, they know exactly how to beat Pascal. They're investing in the future right now. They can't afford to tell sony and microsoft to go fuck themselves, they've been the most loyal customers to AMD since the PS3 and Xbox 360 released. Giving them priority is the right move, for now and for the future.

That and video games are optimized for consoles, which can help push some technologies. Freesync is a good example of that for instance, and some of their Vega features could be implement ed more easily for consoles and therefore for their PC counterparts.

12 minutes ago, savagepain said:

well thats a good way for them to ensure that the survive in the market they would never abandon pc gamers we are one of their main markets because the main stream pc gamer has a budget ryzen in their system like the ryzen 5 1600 also i dont know why they are getting mad now lol they have been doing this forever with the xbox and hell i cant remmber that well correct me if im wrong didnt the ps2 had a amd cpu in it 

Well if I was to rethink my previous post a bit:

They're in dire need to address things with either Hardware of Software, possibly both. I would suggest going back to the drawing board like they did with Zen, except that takes a lot of time so we'd be looking at maybe 5 years of lackluster or no products at all for Radeon.

The other point option is to play a little bit of the long game: Believe it or not I subscribe to the notion than dedicated gaming hardware it's on the way out: If you're looking at 5 years or more you might be better off betting on game-streaming-service models instead of the current paradigm in which case they would be able to take the fight to Nvidia much more effectively since a lot of Nvidia's competitive advantage is driver optimization down to the end user level but if the end user no longer controls hardware and all computation power is handled remotely anyway, it would be kind of like breaking into the server market instead and if the other recent news about AMD taking unprecedented market away from intel according to intel's own predictions, they'd be far better off that way: Simpler chips to power portable thin client devices and addressing the computational needs remotely.

-------

Current Rig

-------

26 minutes ago, savagepain said:

they would never abandon pc gamers we are one of their main markets because the main stream pc gamer has a budget ryzen 

I'm sure someone will pull the numbers and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain neither Nvidia, AMD or Intel give too big a shit about the PC gaming crowd as it's such a small market. AMD essentially pulling out of it for the next 2+ years proves this.

This is of course assuming this is all true, it is WCCF.

51 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Navi was supposed to be Vega 7nm with the infinity fabric, so idk about this

Navi is the next architecture. It's not just Vega on 7nm with infinity fabric. It will have many things in common with Vega of course because it is the next iteration in the gcn family.

Anyway I believe this story because AMD never once said that 7nm Vega was coming to PC gamers. We will have to wait for 7nm Navi sadly.  

It does suck. But how much of an issue it is depends on how soon they can roll out Navi.

I can't believe I'm saying this but

INTEL PLZ SAVE US 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

This is of course assuming this is all true, it is WCCF.

This is the whole crux of the problem is that the article is fairly much an opinion/clickbait piece by WCCF so any news should require truck loads of salt.

43 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

AMD has presumably been working on MCM stuff internally for the past 2-3 years. Nvidia only just put out a theoretical white paper on the subject 6-7 months ago. At a guess the returns on MCM with GCN weren't good enough to justify punting it out this quickly and so the original plan for Navi was scrapped and it was folded over into the new architecture. That said, if nVidia dumps enough money into R&D they could probably steal a march from AMD on it. All depends on if CUDA is workable with MCM or if they too would need a new architecture..

I think answer might more be, "is there any IP in the MCM space that AMD doesn't own already?". The technical hurdles aside, would any product make it to market without running afoul of all of the IP that AMD controls?

As for the article, mid-2019 for Consumer Navi is probably correct. We'll see something similar in nature to what will end up in the PS5 and whatever MS does. The rumor about most of RTG working on the PS5 design makes sense. They have Navi mostly done, and the design for Desktop Consumer will be similar because of the power of the design overlap. I wonder if we're going Full Vulkan + GPGPU with this? 

2021 In other words, AMD GPU's are officially dead and AMD will lose all GPU marketshare?

We can only hope for intel pushing on dGPU's, but even them will first release to server/workstation to battle nvidia and server marketshare loss to GPU's, hence even an intel dGPU is nowhere near 2020/21.

Nvidia also announced no gpu's this year anymore, they probably knew AMD gpu's are done for, so we are fucked as gamers right now.

Just read the article. The author may have just got a couple of titbits and is trying to spin the rest into something coherent. He even claims that Navi is not gcn.

I agree with him though that 7nm Vega is not coming to gamers.

Fantastic, seeing an Xbox with a GPU as powerful as a flagship, that'd be quite funny

There are some problems with this article

1 - WCCF"Tech"

2 - Even if it is true, we should hear something about Intel Arctic Sound im 2019

3 - "Nvidia has no competion" is bullshit. The Polaris stuff is still competitive to nVidia's midrange, or will be when prices return to normal. Additionally, Vega 56 is available near MSRP in some regions giving serious competition to nVidia's 1070 and 1070 Ti. 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Oh, "Kuma" can mean "bear" in Japanese. Plus a few other things. https://jisho.org/search/kuma

The only part of the WCCF article I'd take with grains of salt is the timing. It makes a lot of sense for AMD to have a Polaris replacement in mid-2019, after the Ryzen launch period.

I expect a true "high end" offering might just not happen with the Navi generation. We might see a MCM for Compute workloads first, but it's to AMD's interests to skip a gaming application high-end card this generation and look towards a brand new architecture that they can MCM all over the place.

The other reality: Intel is hoping to keep AMD from taking up to 4 billion USD in revenue in the CPU Server market. That's almost the entirety of the dGPU market in value. AMD is making the correct decisions here, even if it seems to be "bad" for the immediate end user. (Though the high-end GPU market is quite small.)

14 minutes ago, yian88 said:

2021 In other words, AMD GPU's are officially dead and AMD will lose all GPU marketshare?

We can only hope for intel pushing on dGPU's, but even them will first release to server/workstation to battle nvidia and server marketshare loss to GPU's, hence even an intel dGPU is nowhere near 2020/21.

Nvidia also announced no gpu's this year anymore, they probably knew AMD gpu's are done for, so we are fucked as gamers right now.

Intel is actually the world's biggest GPU seller. AMD is second. Nvidia just has roughly 65-70% of the Gaming GPU market.