Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jurrunio

What are the scariest tech-related things you've ever experienced?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have two.

First, is finding out how terrible my old PSU is when looking at the list by @STRMfrmXMN. It's a cooler master extreme power plus 500w, which is disappointing since I paid $50 for this thing and I do not suspect something not that cheap to be this bad. All I can feel from it is a rather high heat output, but it's only when I looked for reviews I find bad efficiency and old design. You can say I got ripped off, that's the cost of not asking around before buying stuff.

Second, is finding out how terrible the motherboard is at measuring voltages. It's a budget Z77 motherboard from the start so I do expect some 0.3-0.4v difference, but it's a lot worse than that. At stock, the Vcore readings through software is 0.35-0.4V lower than what the DMM (digital multimeter if you dont know) reports which is fine. Under load though, even at stock settings so auto voltage and the most passive LLC settings, sees the software reading to be 0.7V lower than the DMM reading. Pumping to my 4.7GHz overclock (still with most passive LLC settings), the software says 1.38V while DMM says 1.49V. Just bonkers.  I also tried a 3.5GHz overclock with the most aggressive LLC settings. Variations in voltage reading at idle is still 0.4V, but when P95 starts, hell breaks loose. Software says 1.25V, DMM says 1.45V. Trust me, software readings on cheaper boards are rubbish, not even good enough for a 'guess'.

I wonder what others have experienced before learning enough to know what they did wrong in the past (hopefully without hurting anything but confidence)?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I have to one up on the power supply, except this was my own stupidity, one of my old pc's started to whine so badly, I just could not take it anymore so I stripped it and cleaned the fan, on reassembly the fan would not spin but when the cover was off the fan spun, so smart me decides to lower the case that the fan is mounted on and spinning onto the power supply, suddenly I saw a bright spark, I immediately took my hands off it and the power tripped. The story has a good side though as through replacing the PSU started my adventure to build a new rig to replace my 10 year old one.

• My PSU exploded - shooting sparks out towards my room. Very bad - could've caught a fire if I wasn't there to... smother it...
  • A friend's 1080 caught was shooting smoke. Looked like he had a fog machine.

A couple minor things: Nasty, nasty GPU whine, constant clicking on a HDD, accidentally mounting a CPU cooler with too much pressure, etc. Some of the mounting setups were from hell. (Shown below)

Left: AM4 motherboard with 1151 mounting brackets on top via screws and washers (then connected to CPU cooler). I didn't have AM4 mounting okay?

Right: Yet again - lost mounting. Using tons of washers, then Noctua mounting, then a Corsair AIO bracket to attach the waterblock to,

image3.jpg.bb51707e492c48f3ed81bfb730a4fb4b.jpgimage.jpg.2103c181da082b2f10cf3a1c29318c66.jpg

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

TBH Google and Facebook are pretty scary!

Spoiler

I am not even joking!

Spoiler

It is scary the amount of information they have on you - If you are using their "free" services. They even know your personality type, sexual orientation, and even your salary income, your job, how many children you may have.

or

but like 5 or 8 of them taped together

My cheapish chinese psu caught on fire about a year and a half ago.  Luckily I was sitting next the computer when it happened and pulled the plug and it went out rather quickly on its own without too much fuss other than killing some of my hardware from what I assume was a complete loss of voltage regulation.  No more cheap power supplies for me after that.  Other than that most of the other bad stuff that happened has been my fault, like letting out the magic smoke after a vmod or something. 

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

TBH Google and Facebook are pretty scary!

Hide contents

I am not even joking!

Hide contents

It is scary the amount of information they have on you - If you are using their "free" services. They even know your personality type, sexual orientation, and even your salary income, your job, how many children you may have.

or

but like 5 or 8 of them taped together

What would you use that has 30+ cells in it?? I'm very interested to know. 

I remember the time I stuck the wrong wires into the wrong outlet, bare handed... 

Join the nyalliance today, nya! ❤️

AMD 3700X GTX 1660 Super

Gigabyte X570 Aorus pro 16g 3200MHZ

Cooler Master MS110 combo fractal meshify C

Will be adding Samsung SSD's and an NZXT AIO to cool the CPU when adding voltage.

52 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

What would you use that has 30+ cells in it?? I'm very interested to know. 

I remember the time I stuck the wrong wires into the wrong outlet, bare handed... 

High powered electric bicycles!

2 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I went to plug in my 2 TB external drive to my freshly built desktop to finally back up the data on it. It was connected to my laptop via eSATA it's entire life up to then. My desktop couldn't see the volume. Went to Initialize. My heart froze somewhat when the volume came up blank. Perhaps the Initialize command should come with some sort of warning that it is akin to a Quick Format.

Anyway, the software TestDisk recovered the partition data and I recovered everything. I backed some more stuff to it recently, and on Friday, it will be moved offsite to a friend's place.

Also, when my phone softbricked after installing GAPPS to a fresh ROM install. That was a bit of frantic forum surfing there.

The most recent incident, the loss of my Pokemon X game, and the bull-headed insistance of Nintendo to refuse players to backup their save files or even Pokemon.

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Two things come to mind:

- I thought I could use an old laptop charger to power my monitor, because they were the same size. About 10 seconds in it started smoking pretty bad and scared me a bit. Still works fine though. 

- I was fooling around with Power Supplies (great idea) and thought I would see how hot the heatsink got. I didn't use a thermometer or a probe, used my hand. Got quite the shock. 

some 9v batteries: they were just laying on a shelf and somehow one of them randomly exploded while I was just working in my room. that scared the shit out of me.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

Probably trapping the wire to a case fan under a screw and seeing smoke pouring out of a >1,500$ machine.

Honestly I've seen just about everything but a GPU mosfet giving up or a PSU exploding, which is surprising given that this exists:

IMG_20180603_234141.thumb.jpg.d4bf96a6d4875bde68e84b70a9c82a3f.jpg

OH and I forgot about the time that bitdefender free decided a bunch of my folders with pictures and music were viruses and deleted them.  And of course with the free version there is no way to get any of that stuff back, and support for the free version is non existent.  I managed to get most of it back with some recovery software, but I gave up on bitdefender after that. 

12 hours ago, Canada EH said:

-snip-

gotta +1 the lipo fire here.

Had an old iphone 4s battery explode in my room. The smoke was so thick I couldn't see 2 ft in front of me.

Oh i forgot about the time i was using a cheap fan from ebay through molex on my old system, plugge the fan in, closed the case, turned the pc on and nothing.

Opened the system up, the end of the molex was pushed out, exposing the + wire, it touched the southbridge ANNND i needed a new motherboard. It spelt pretty burnt after that.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Changing Global Navigation on a SharePoint Farm and having it effect other environments below yours unintentionally and not knowing until the next day because the changes took that long to inherit luckily you kept a snapshot and reverted to it fixing the issue.  Lesson learned. 

Not much. Probably seeing that BCLK was all over the show on the 5820K (was dipping as much as 4-6MHz iirc). Thought the "5960X" (it was really a 2603v3 with half an IMC, basically it was dead) had taken part of something motherboard related with it.

Turns out virtualization support was left on. Crisis averted lol.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I had just got a new graphics card, so I was playing a game and my pc randomly shut off, so I clicked the button too boot back up.... Nothing, clicked it again... Still nothing, not even the fans spinning, clicked it a third time, BANG!!!!! the PSU exploaded, luckily nothing else got damaged! Could have been worse, glad I didn't have a cheap PSU, I had a Corsair. That's about it really.

When I was 10 ish I got one of those krypto locker viruses proclaiming I needed to pay the polic X amount when watching a film on some shady site. I shat myself, thinking I was in real trouble with the law. 

I once had a network cabinet glass door fall off, from above me and just miss me by about a yard....

Do i win anything for this? ;)

---Intel I7 4790k@4.6GHz@1.24v---Gigabyte Z97gaming 5----H100i----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----3tb Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz----Sapphire Fury TriX----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

9 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Probably trapping the wire to a case fan under a screw and seeing smoke pouring out of a >1,500$ machine.

Honestly I've seen just about everything but a GPU mosfet giving up or a PSU exploding, which is surprising given that this exists:

-snip-

I have to wonder what your GPU temps are like in that setup. Also, what cards are they? I don't recognize them...

As far as scary tech stories, I don't have that much...

Shocking news, I know...

There's always the slight adrenaline rush when the screen goes black during GPU driver installation though.

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I have to wonder what your GPU temps are like in that setup. Also, what cards are they? I don't recognize them...

GTX 480's lol

CPU is an FX 9590

They run hot at like 80-90C but they do that without being in SLI...

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

GTX 480's lol

CPU is an FX 9590

They run hot at like 80-90C but they do that without being in SLI...

We call 'em Thermi for a reason....

I'd like to say that I'm above all that, but Kepler isn't too much better in terms of power....

Gonna take a guess you've got an 850W PSU in there keeping everything fed?