revive a ruined battery.

Los Serpent

i've always had issues with laptop battery's. they die very fast, and in weird ways. i've never had a laptop battery that lasted more than a year. and i barely ever use them, usually i'm always connected to the power. basically what happens is that i turn on my laptop and the battery dies very fast (like 5-10 mins) or turns off while it still has a lot of charge left  like 60-80%, especially when doing power intensive tasks like maxing out the cpu(i've already tried to calibrate it) this is the 3rd laptop battery that does this to me. i have no idea why. i have smartphones that i've used and charged every day for 4-5 years and the battery's are still fine (they last much less ofc) but they are still working properly, why do laptop battery's die so fast even if they are not used a lot? also is there a way to "revive them" like  a way to drain them all the way to 0 since that is impossible to do with a laptop because it turns off before it gets to 0. btw the battery is a P150HMBAT-8, and i don't really wanna buy a new one because they are expensive as hell. very overpriced. considering it's only 5200mah and the cells are probably 2600mah that can be found for 2-8€

Lithium batteries don't like staying at max charge for prolonged periods, best to discharge them frequently and put cycles though them as cycling is much less damaging than staying fully charged. No real way to revive them but sometimes cycling them can give them a slight bump in capacity. To drain down to 0 just let the system idle. The more load, the more current drain which means the lower the voltage, and the battery state of "0" is measured by voltage.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

If you are going to leave your laptop plugged in all of the time. Discharge the battery to about 70-80% and remove the battery until you need to use it. I never leave my laptop plugin 24/7 and my battery is still last for a good hour and a half after 4 years.

3 hours ago, Los Serpent said:

and i barely ever use them, usually i'm always connected to the power.

There you have your issue. If you're always connected to power you're keeping the lithium ion battery on an very "uncomfortable" level and it will wear faster. You're basically doing everything you can to kill you batteries.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

15 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

There you have your issue. If you're always connected to power you're keeping the lithium ion battery on an very "uncomfortable" level and it will wear faster. You're basically doing everything you can to kill you batteries.

well that's something new, i've read on plenty of sites that it's ok to keep it plugged in

4 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

well that's something new, i've read on plenty of sites that it's ok to keep it plugged in

Ideally you'd keep you battery between like 40-60%. The higher the charge the more it degrades, the lower you run it, the more it degrades. There's no way to prevent degradation. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

16 hours ago, Los Serpent said:

also something to consider, if you are always plugged in anyways it means you are probably always in one place with that notebook.

most people could just use a regular PC instead and just not have this problem at all.