Are those temperatures normal?

Hello everyone,

I need to know if I should worry about those temperatures as my PC shuts down playing games for a long time those days (PUBG and even Fortnite).
First the required specs, with links to manufacturer description:

• i5-7600k : Link
  • GTX1060 3gb Asus : Link
  • Z-270P motherboard : Link
  • 2 intake front fans corsair AF120 Quiet : Link
  • 2 exhausts fans (rear and top) FN v2 : Link
  • Arctic freezer i11 CPU cooler : Link

If any other specs is required to you in order to be sure of things let me know.

Anyway here are my temperatures when not OC (With turbo mode up to 4200Mhz):

• Idle: 38°C
  • Load (Prime 95): 85°C

That seems high to me considering I have 4 Case fans with positive airflow. I happen to have moved my PC (dismounting/remounting) a lot and I am wondering if there is some issue maybe with thermal paste or something or if those temperatures seem normal for the specs. I would like to point that I used to be able to overclock to 4400Mhz without issues before.

I am considering to buy a new CPU cooler, but if the issue is somewhere else I can't afford to waste money :S
I would highly appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, GuiGeek said:

Hello everyone,

I need to know if I should worry about those temperatures as my PC shuts down playing games for a long time those days (PUBG and even Fortnite).
First the required specs, with links to manufacturer description:

• i5-7600k : Link
  • GTX1060 3gb Asus : Link
  • Z-270P motherboard : Link
  • 2 intake front fans corsair AF120 Quiet : Link
  • 2 exhausts fans (rear and top) FN v2 : Link
  • Arctic freezer i11 CPU cooler : Link

If any other specs is required to you in order to be sure of things let me know.

Anyway here are my temperatures when not OC (With turbo mode up to 4200Mhz):

• Idle: 38°C
  • Load (Prime 95): 85°C

That seems high to me considering I have 4 Case fans with positive airflow. I happen to have moved my PC (dismounting/remounting) a lot and I am wondering if there is some issue maybe with thermal paste or something or if those temperatures seem normal for the specs. I would like to point that I used to be able to overclock to 4400Mhz without issues before.

I am considering to buy a new CPU cooler, but if the issue is somewhere else I can't afford to waste money :S
I would highly appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance

It depends what test you ran, was it small, medium or big FFTs?

Prime isn't really a good test for temperature tbh, it's very inconsistent and is more of a torture test than a real world synthetic load test. Prime is excellent at testing stability though.

When testing for temperature use OCCT Linpak Test or do multiple runs of Cinebench.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

It depends what test you ran, was it small, medium or big FFTs?

Prime isn't really a good test for temperature tbh, it's very inconsistent and is more of a torture test than a real world synthetic load test.

When testing for temperature use OCCT Linpak Test or do multiple runs of Cinebench.

Small FFTs, when I use a bunch of Cinebench I still go almost as high (about 75/80 degrees Celsius)

Yes, it's more warm than normal; however, with that CPU cooler, I'd expect about as much.

First, I'd try to remount the cooler to check if you have proper contact - I've seen people recommend replacing the thermal compound every year or so.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

Yes, it's more warm than normal; however, with that CPU cooler, I'd expect about as much.

First, I'd try to remount the cooler to check if you have proper contact - I've seen people recommend replacing the thermal compound every year or so.

I have already remounted the cooler (a month ago), if let's say I messed with the thermal paste however, the temperatures would go much higher right?

2 minutes ago, GuiGeek said:

Small FFTs, when I use a bunch of Cinebench I still go almost as high (about 75/80 degrees Celsius)

Small FFTs is full torture for the CPU, it's basically pushing it as hard as it can.

The 80c from Cinebench would be a more realistic number for normal use. IMO that's about normal for your cooler.

3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

This also wouldn't hurt.

Remember when it's summer your computer will always run warmer because the ambient temperature of the room is warmer.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, GuiGeek said:

I have already remounted the cooler (a month ago), if let's say I messed with the thermal paste however, the temperatures would go much higher right?

If you've accidentally moved the cooler around while mounting or you didn't properly torque the mounting down, then you could've gotten improper contact or bad contact.

I'd tell you just to give it a go - as long as you have thermal compound on hand (as most do), It's a relatively easy and cheap way to remove a variable.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

If you've accidentally moved the cooler around while mounting or you didn't properly torque the mounting down, then you could've gotten improper contact or bad contact.

I'd tell you just to give it a go - as long as you have thermal compound on hand (as most do), It's a relatively easy and cheap way to remove a variable.

Yep, when diagnosing issues the idea is to remove variables one at a time until you find the one causing the issue.

I'd still say that for your cooler on that chip in summer 75/80c is normal.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I really spent a lot on time on checking the contact and thermal compound so I would definitely get that variable off.
I really appreciate your fast answers, I think I will simply get a MasterCooler ML120L (Link), in your opinions that would drop drastically the temperatures right?

4 hours ago, GuiGeek said:

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I really spent a lot on time on checking the contact and thermal compound so I would definitely get that variable off.
I really appreciate your fast answers, I think I will simply get a MasterCooler ML120L (Link), in your opinions that would drop drastically the temperatures right?

Yes, it would. Your current cooler isn't the best budget or small cooler there is. Going to 120mm AIO would be upgrade, but so would going with 140mm air cooler, or even some of 120mm towers.

What voltages are you getting under load?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes, it would. Your current cooler isn't the best budget or small cooler there is. Going to 120mm AIO would be upgrade, but so would going with 140mm air cooler, or even some of 120mm towers.

What voltages are you getting under load?

This is the next area I am about to look into.
My PC just restarted two times since my last post. Once playing Fortnite and once playing Totally Accurate Battlegrounds.
Both are low in terms of CPU load so I don't get it.
I also had an alarm set to Warn me if temperature went above 80degrees Celsius and it did not ring.

Here is attached a report from OCCT when testing power supply.
You will find as well a HWMonitor report.
Is there any valuable information there?

OCCT report.png

HWMonitor_2018-06-10_21-38-40.png

Likely a poor mount of your cooler.

the sensor doesn’t always get it right so one part of the cpu could be fine while another corner isn’t making contact.

my suggestion is take the thing off and reapply the thermal paste with a much bigger dosage so even if it’s poorly mounted, it will still make contact.

I haven’t wiped my paste off since 2 years ago and just kept adding on to it, best choice I ever did on my computer.

10 hours ago, GuiGeek said:

This is the next area I am about to look into.
My PC just restarted two times since my last post. Once playing Fortnite and once playing Totally Accurate Battlegrounds.
Both are low in terms of CPU load so I don't get it.
I also had an alarm set to Warn me if temperature went above 80degrees Celsius and it did not ring.

Here is attached a report from OCCT when testing power supply.
You will find as well a HWMonitor report.
Is there any valuable information there?

OCCT report.png

HWMonitor_2018-06-10_21-38-40.png

Are those during load? All seems fine there except few mobo sensors showing most likely faulty numbers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 6/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Are those during load? All seems fine there except few mobo sensors showing most likely faulty numbers.

Well I keep having random restarts.
But ONLY when gaming.
I stressed tested my PC with Aida64 all night long and it never restarted. This means it is not the CPU heating too much right?

34 minutes ago, GuiGeek said:

Well I keep having random restarts.
But ONLY when gaming.
I stressed tested my PC with Aida64 all night long and it never restarted. This means it is not the CPU heating too much right?

Seems like it. Random restart which you can't verify with stress test are worst. It could be pretty much anything. RAM, drive, OS install, PSU (not likely since it doesn't crash under stress test).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Seems like it. Random restart which you can't verify with stress test are worst. It could be pretty much anything. RAM, drive, OS install, PSU (not likely since it doesn't crash under stress test).

That's what I fear.
What bugs me is that it just started to do so.
And it does it more and more often.

It first did it in September, and now it is worse and worse.
Could it be the thermal paste that would be poorly applied?
But if so how come it gets worse?

2 minutes ago, GuiGeek said:

That's what I fear.
What bugs me is that it just started to do so.
And it does it more and more often.

It first did it in September, and now it is worse and worse.
Could it be the thermal paste that would be poorly applied?
But if so how come it gets worse?

I doubt its your cooling. If you can, run Memtest overnight (8-12h) to check that out. It could be one of your drives, that could explain thing getting worse the more drive gets used and/or filled.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

I doubt its your cooling. If you can, run Memtest overnight (8-12h) to check that out. It could be one of your drives, that could explain thing getting worse the more drive gets used and/or filled.

Thanks a lot I will run that test tonight!
I will keep you posted with the results.