4K is better, change my mind

D3addr0p
Go to solution Solved by D3addr0p,

OK so I've researched a bit further and if frame rates were to be an issue at 4K I could just play at 1080p with AA set higher thus giving me the advantage in all 3 use cases for the monitor.

Hard Drives are cheap so storage isn't an issue.

Neck strain and Eye strain can be avoided by ergonomic design and Ambient lighting.

Disclaimer:

• PC will be used for content creation, media consumption and gaming(all equally).
  • PC will have new 1180 or 2080 which I am assuming will most likely hit 60fps on most titles.
  • From a price perspective it's cheaper than 1440p ultra wide.
  • I am not into competitive games or FPS's so don't need higher refresh rates.

Pro's:

• Monitor is 43" so won't need to scale(Size can be seen as a pro or a con).
  • Will Have lots of real estate to work with.
  • Won't need to switch between windows.
  • Monitor is IPS so good quality.
  • Media Consumption will be more immersive.

Con's:

• Lot's of YouTube videos claiming the difference is minimal between 1080p.
  • Will need a big hard drive(Planning on getting a 3TB HDD, will also have a 500GB M.2 and will keep most used apps/games on it).
  • Big monitor will lead to neck and or eye strain(To accommodate this I plan to get a 1 and a 1/2 or 2m(78") desk).

Reason for posting: I don't want to make a mistake I will regret so doing thorough research for this I also do not have a lot of options since the retailers I buy from only have certain models in stock.

Monitor I plan on getting: Dell P4317Q (Around 842,05 USD).

I prefer my games to look nice and run well. 4K usually only gives you the former unless you invest in a high end setup.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

So is there a question being asked or what?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I prefer my games to look nice and run well. 4K usually only gives you the former unless you invest in a high end setup.

At least until the new 4K 144hz monitors come out :)

But yeah, they will cost a fortune for at least a year or two.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Imagine all the pizza you could buy by going with 1080p.

As a gamer, pizza is also an important investment.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

So is there a question being asked or what?

Yes, he's planning on getting a 4K monitor for the reasons he listed, and he's wondering if there are any arguments or reasons against getting a 4K display that he's missing.

If you're really doing content creation and aren't very interested in high FPS games, I can't see why not go 4k. One with Gsync would probably still be a good idea though.

For photo/video editing, you can't beat it, especially since you want an absurdly huge monitor.

#Muricaparrotgang

I have an asus 28" 4K monitor...

For everyday stuff, it is great, however:

- Upscaling from 1080 is not that great

- Games are often not optimised for 4K, especially the interface

- Hard to run smooth 60FPS let alone more (1070 here) with high graphics

I often think a 2K ultra wide could be a good choice as well

28 minutes ago, PEagle said:

I have an asus 28" 4K monitor...

For everyday stuff, it is great, however:

- Upscaling from 1080 is not that great

- Games are often not optimised for 4K, especially the interface

- Hard to run smooth 60FPS let alone more (1070 here) with high graphics

I often think a 2K ultra wide could be a good choice as well

2K is 1080p just FYI

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That tends to be the issue with higher resolution.  Got to have the horse power to push it.

Reason I tend to stick to 2560 x 1440P at 27inch.  A bit higher than 1080P but not as hard to push as 4K.

For content creation, I got my old 2560 x 1600P Dell 32inch for that with ratio that works well for it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

OK so I've researched a bit further and if frame rates were to be an issue at 4K I could just play at 1080p with AA set higher thus giving me the advantage in all 3 use cases for the monitor.

Hard Drives are cheap so storage isn't an issue.

Neck strain and Eye strain can be avoided by ergonomic design and Ambient lighting.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:40 PM, valdyrgramr said:

See the source image

The new Nvidia cards aren't coming out soon according to Nvidia, and people are making baseless assumptions about them.  Imagine all the pizza you could buy by going with 1080p.

For gaming use case yes, but actually read the post, I said that gaming was only 1 of the use cases so a 1080 or 1440 will be worse in the other 2 use cases.

On 6/9/2018 at 11:38 PM, JZStudios said:

If you're really doing content creation and aren't very interested in high FPS games, I can't see why not go 4k. One with Gsync would probably still be a good idea though.

For photo/video editing, you can't beat it, especially since you want an absurdly huge monitor.

My god imagine the price of the monitor if gsync was added, I want it but won't ever buy it, not unless Nvidia make it cheaper.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:39 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

High end setup is what I'm aiming forxD

7 hours ago, D3addr0p said:

My god imagine the price of the monitor if gsync was added, I want it but won't ever buy it, not unless Nvidia make it cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MYTF4W?tag=edit-tech-round-up-20&ascsubtag=30e4913c-0547-4b61-97d0-67745dbceecc

...I don't know what price range you're looking for... the predators are basically top of the line.

But, yeah you can go without it. I haven't used Gsync, but the BattleNonsense guy did a bunch of lag testing with it and it completely eradicates screen tearing and framerate caused micro stutters.

#Muricaparrotgang

8 hours ago, JZStudios said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MYTF4W?tag=edit-tech-round-up-20&ascsubtag=30e4913c-0547-4b61-97d0-67745dbceecc

...I don't know what price range you're looking for... the predators are basically top of the line.

But, yeah you can go without it. I haven't used Gsync, but the BattleNonsense guy did a bunch of lag testing with it and it completely eradicates screen tearing and framerate caused micro stutters.

The 32 inch version seems perfect, problem is that it is 200$ more, will really have to think about it but thanks.

On 10/06/2018 at 12:24 AM, Mio85 said:

2K is 1080p just FYI

nope, 1920*1080p is 1K.

3840*2160 is 4K (4 times the pixels).

2K is usually used to talk about ultrawide 1440p displays (they have around 2-3 times the pixel a standard 1080 has)

1 minute ago, PEagle said:

nope, 1920*1080p is 1K.

3840*2160 is 4K (4 times the pixels).

2K is usually used to talk about ultrawide 1440p displays (they have around 2-3 times the pixel a standard 1080 has)

https://www.google.com/search?q=2k+resolution&oq=2k+re&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.1216j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

the 4K and 2K stem from the horizontal resolution of a 16:8 resolution. 2K is not 1440p.