MIT gave an AI data from Reddit now all it does is think about murder

Eduard the weeb

Giving internet trolls control of something is never a good idea. Doesn't matter how many control they get, it's too much.

Also, it probably makes sense it went this way. I mean big posts are usually something negative because that's what people click on and read. Even if the amount of positive stories is the same as the amount of bad stories the bad ones would be more populair.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

My understanding is that they targeted a notorious subreddit thread that is dedicated to document and observe death so it's not like they set it loose on Reddit at large...

http://norman-ai.mit.edu

Not sure what this says about AI image recognition learning or just humans in general for the morbid nature of creating certain subreddit threads and discussion sites.  

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What's worse, the fact this happened at all, or the fact some of us would even agree with it?

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would say the latter.

If nobody agreed with it, then it wouldn't still be around to plot our downfall.

Extremely misleading article. Obviously if you train a neural net algorithm only on negative imagery, it's only going to regurgitate negative imagery.

Also this is not "AI" in the real sense of the word. Just an algorithm programmed with a database of imagery and words, made to "connect the dots", as it were, to the inkblots.

Most current "AI" is just pre-programmed words or ideas that are spat back out in relation to the input it was given or just completely random.

Wait, did anyone actually read the paper?

The AI was a ML program that recognizes images. They trained it using some subreddit that specializes in content regarding people dying. They then had it perform a rorchsach test, to which the AI did exactly what it was trained to do: it recognized the ink blocks as people dying. It was an experiment that proved that the information with which you trained the AI will very noticeably impact the output of the AI (biased input results in biased output).

Absolutely nothing to do with skynet.

This is a signature.

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Just unplug the computer lol.

doesn't help, LTT sold them on a highend UPS.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

The good guys never lose though.

So in your world Hollywood are the good guys and everyone walking out of the theater after the last jedi are bad guys?

I'm curious if they reset the AI and focus it on /r/Bronies 24/7 what would happen... /me looks at Crunchy Dragon.

I've an unshakeable feeling it would pan out about the same.

what'd you expect? lol. this is gold!

Details separate people.

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Extremely misleading article. Obviously if you train a neural net algorithm only on negative imagery, it's only going to regurgitate negative imagery.

Also this is not "AI" in the real sense of the word. Just an algorithm programmed with a database of imagery and words, made to "connect the dots", as it were, to the inkblots.

Most current "AI" is just pre-programmed words or ideas that are spat back out in relation to the input it was given or just completely random.

Yeah all true.  And I think this even extends to people.  If you only see bad news every day you're gonna become very negative, while the reverse is also true.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah all true.  And I think this even extends to people.  If you only see bad news every day you're gonna become very negative, while the reverse is also true.

Completely true. The behaviour of a human being is created by the environment. If genes predispose a certain behaviour but the environment doesn’t support it, then that behaviour won’t manifest. Similar to the “AI”’s code versus it’s learning stage (in this case a Subreddit).

7 hours ago, Raytsou said:

Absolutely nothing to do with skynet.

If you thought Skynet was a dumb theory, wait until you hear mine about the moon, the origin of life, Mars, NASA, and the earth...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Standard AI: random earthling

Norman: US citizen

this has nothing to do with AI, most American are born "Standard AI" and become a "Norman". For me the AI worked, followed the normal path of US society. It would be interesting to see this for other languages and oriented to other countries. Not to say they wouldn't have problems, don't get me wrong, they could end racist of corrupt, but it would be nice for comparison.

They gave it a graphic subreddit to look at it, it developed into a graphic AI. 

In other words, water is wet. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

shouldn't we also be discussing the differences between AI, machine learning and deep learning? I know ML and DL are part of AI, components of AI, so in fact the title is correct, but isn't the problem of all this experiments gone terrible wrong really related specifically with ML and DL?

for scientific studies shouldn't they be a let more detailed and clear on the problem than just "AI is now racist"?

I think the title is a little bit of a clickbait. The point of the research was to show that training neural networks on biased data will yield biased results, something which should be common sense in the world of machine learning. The findings should encourage people to pay attention to their data and to check it for biases, leading to overall better practices in the field. Comparisons to skynet are a bit exaggerated imo.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Why are you guys talking like the AI wants to murder its just got a lot of info about murder so everything looks like one to him now. It does not mean he would commit murder itself.

13 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Now show it data from 4chan and see what happens.

If we do that it becomes self aware and the minute that happens it'll commit a full format.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

No surprise. Just show data of any social media on certain 'hot' topics where people spew shit and say "deserve to be killed" etc. you'll get the same result. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Now show it data from 4chan and see what happens.

INKBLOT #7:

Anon AI sees:

"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

anyone getting GLDOS vibes from this?

the only thing missing is a mute "fat" lunatic and a intelligence dampening sphere to complete the picture

for science, you monster...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

On 6/8/2018 at 2:26 PM, Drak3 said:

The good guys never lose though.

They should kill off half the population of the universe and then call it done just to prove you wrong.

;)

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS