Rumor: Windows 10 insider preview (Build 17686) might suggest an upcoming feature called "S Mode"

13 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

what about all the shady programs on the app store? 

I thought Microsoft screens all submitted apps for malware? I think you mean shitty apps that they just accept just to say to everyone that the Windows Store is growing 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

even if it were a feature you couldn't turn off, it wouldn't be that hard to work around it, this is PC after all.

38 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I thought Microsoft screens all submitted apps for malware? I think you mean shitty apps that they just accept just to say to everyone that the Windows Store is growing 

so does google yet there are vast amount malware on the play store

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+play+malware

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

so does google yet there are vast amount malware on the play store

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+play+malware

I don't think Google is actually screening submitted apps for malware the way Microsoft and Apple does. While every Android phone has an antivirus built in called Google Play Protect, detection is quite poor.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/avc_android_201802_en.pdf

csm_0418_android_dauer_scan_nov_mrz18_en

Google uses an automated system to scan for apps ONLY, beside a basic check on what the app does. Apple/Microsoft has actual people validating the apps that comes to their store, as well as an automated system that scans through the app code. So, the PlayStore is filled with malware apps of various degrees and viruses. They get removed once called out by a security firm, or re-investigated if there is a lot of complaints. With most Android phones also not being updated to the latest OS updates and security updates, even if the users REALLY wants to. Android is an incredible insecure platform. But hey! No choice, unless you can afford Apple, and their ecosystem.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Google uses an automated system to scan for apps ONLY, beside a basic check on what the app does. Apple/Microsoft has actual people validating the apps that comes to their store, as well as an automated system that scans through the app code. So, the PlayStore is filled with malware apps of various degrees and viruses. They get removed once called out by a security firm, or re-investigated if there is a lot of complaints. With most Android phones also not being updated to the latest OS updates and security updates, even if the users REALLY wants to. Android is an incredible insecure platform. But hey! No choice, unless you can afford Apple, and their ecosystem.

[Citation Needed] on these claims:

• Apple and Microsoft has people validating every app by hand.
  • That the PlayStore is "filled with malware apps".
  • That "Android is an incredibly insecure platform".

If Microsoft actually has people validating every single app in the store, then they really don't care at all about the quality of the apps, or things like if they are scams. 

On 2018-06-08 at 2:28 PM, descendency said:

IThis is how I use 'app' (meaning smartphone/tablet application - ie feature stripped apps), and 'application' for robust desktop stuff.  

I do want to point out that there's really no difference between those two things other than the target platform. The difference between a Windows "Application" and an iOS "App" are absolutely no different than the difference between an App on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's all just a piece of software and there's nothing stopping a smartphone "App" from being as robust or even moreso.

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I do want to point out that the fact that their automated system removes a lot more malware doesn't in any way mean their platform *has* more malware.

Have a system with Windows 7 Security Essentials and install Bitdefender on it. The automated system systems in Bitdefender will pick up a lot more malware. Does that mean your system now has a lot more malware?

You're also talking orders of magnitude different size of target platforms. Android is a *waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay* larger target because of it's userbase and it's userbase's relative  reluctance to upgrade devices compared to iOS users. And you want to talk about Windows Store? How many users actually use apps from the Windows Store? Really? Windows may be a Huge platform but the store is not. Even raw Win32 is a far bigger target platform than the Windows Store.

And again you see more security researchers finding threats because it's a larger and more open platform, meaning you have more such researchers looking.

Representing it as "incredibly insecure" is more than a little disingenuous.

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

and it's userbase's relative  reluctance to upgrade devices compared to iOS users.

Its not the userbase's fault but the manufacturers.... Most devices sold will have that base ROM that it came with and no updates, the premium ones will get updates for 1 year, or aybe 2 if you are lucky. (The only exceptions are the google phones).

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its not the userbase's fault but the manufacturers.... Most devices sold will have that base ROM that it came with and no updates, the premium ones will get updates for 1 year, or aybe 2 if you are lucky. (The only exceptions are the google phones).

I'm not even talking that. That's an issue too. I'm however referring to the fact that you have quite a few users still using 7 year old devices.

How many iPhone 4 users do you see?

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I'm not even talking that. That's an issue too. I'm however referring to the fact that you have quite a few users still using 7 year old devices.

How many iPhone 4 users do you see?

Well i-sheeps are not much of a representative example since those have enough money to buy a new phone. The ones using such old devices have no money for a new one, or dont have a reason to buy a new. Even i have a 4 year old phone because i dont have a reason to upgrade.

56 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well i-sheeps are not much of a representative example since those have enough money to buy a new phone. The ones using such old devices have no money for a new one, or dont have a reason to buy a new. Even i have a 4 year old phone because i dont have a reason to upgrade.

All of which is irrelevant to my point. The validity of such upgrades aside, iOS and Windows Phone users have historically upgraded their devices more frequently, which drastically impacts the percieved security of these systems.

Particularly with embedded systems like phones where it's harder to update them, a lot more known security vulnerabilities remain open on older devices, even if they do get updated to a newer OS core. This is true for Android but it's also true for iOS and Windows Phone/RT/Embedded as well.

35 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

All of which is irrelevant to my point.

Its totally relevant. Most ppl just want a phone that works and wont change it if it satisfies their needs. A 7 year old phone will satisfy the wast majority, and changing the battery is cheap which is one more reason to not upgrade. iOS and WP on the other hand has a sealed device running them which meant it was cheaper to buy a new phone rather than replacing the battery. Consumerism at its finest....

39 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

like phones where it's harder to update them, a lot more known security vulnerabilities remain open on older devices

Because the manufacturer do not release updates and lock the boot-loader causing a lot of headache for the modding community. I mean my S5 got sooner the new android than samsungs current flagship at the time... :D

On 09/06/2018 at 12:00 AM, captain_to_fire said:
  • Education - school administrators can lock down PCs to S Mode so that kids wouldn't run shady programs disguised as games
  • Enterprise - IT guys can now worry less about that phishing email with a spyware or ransomware attachment opened by a naive employee which can compromising workstations and backup servers thanks to S Mode.

Just for reference this can already be done via Intune (device management software from Microsoft). 

I suspect you could also do it via group policy but I know for a fact it’s in Intune...

11 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Just for reference this can already be done via Intune (device management software from Microsoft). 

I suspect you could also do it via group policy but I know for a fact it’s in Intune...

If that is the case, then the only reason Microsoft is doing the S Mode is to make Windows 10 like iOS.