Looking for 144Hz 1440P monitor

Go to solution Solved by brndn1,
On 6/10/2018 at 2:01 AM, Zandvliet said:

I would go for 27"

UPDATE: Ended up ordering an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Ordered from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529526666&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+swift&dpID=41NvEug7zyL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I will see if the gamble is worth it!

Thank you for the information from everyone.

ORIGINAL:

I think I have enough information now to go with a 27"!

I am just wondering what you guys would prefer:

ASUS ROG PG278QR (TN)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236797

ASUS ROG PG279Q (IPS)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236660

I have only used TN panels before and have not seen the look of an IPS, at least in my household so I am not sure what I am missing out on.

I have heard of backlight bleed and smearing on an IPS but I am not sure what that looks like compared to the monitor I have currently.

I would probably be browsing the internet and gaming 85% of the time, and the other 15% I would be doing some form of audio, photo, video editing etc.

I know that the panels have different response & input times and a TN based panel is usually faster than an IPS, but I still don't know what would be a close-to-perfect monitor for myself.

Hiya! I am looking to purchase a monitor with at least 144Hz Refresh rate and a 1-6ms response time (It will be my main monitor).

I would probably be browsing the internet and gaming 85% of the time, and the other 15% I would be doing some form of audio, photo, video editing etc.

A few examples of games: DoTA 2, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Rocket League, Path of Exile, Warframe etc.

(Currently using a GTX 1070 Graphics Card)

Preferences in the monitor:

Refresh Rate - 144Hz (or higher)

Size - 27"

Resolution - 1440P

G-Sync - Yes

Reponse time - 1-6ms

Condition - New

Panel type - TN or IPS

Ports - Does not matter

Brand - Does not matter

Curved - Does not matter

ORIGINAL:

Preferences in the monitor:

Refresh Rate - 144Hz (or higher)

Size - 24-27"

Resolution - 1080P 

G-Sync - Yes

Reponse time - 1-3ms

Condition - New

Ports - Does not matter

Panel type - Does not matter

Brand - Does not matter

Curved - Does not matter

(edit on June 12th, 2018: update information)

Location - Canada

Budget - $500-$900 (possibly more if needed)

My current monitors consist of:

#1 Main: BenQ 24" GL2460HM (1920x1080)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014377

#2 Side: Acer 20" X203Hbd (1600x900)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009158 (American website)

This is what my set-up currently looks like:

Spoiler

UWK0eBe.png

I am open to all ideas and suggestions, any help is appreciated because I have no experience in searching for a 144Hz monitor or what to look for entirely. Maybe a bigger resolution monitor is recommend or a bigger size for example.

Considering I'm a huge Asus fanboy I've gotta recommend an RoG monitor, and with a budget like that for just a 1080p monitor you could go really, really high end. The Asus RoG Swift PG258Q is a top of line monitor for 1080p. It's 244mz refresh, 1ms response, and with it being the higher end Swift rather than Strix, you also get G Sync. The drawbacks are that's it's quite expensive for just a 24.5" screen and it's has little improvements over 144hz monitors but if you're looking for an overkill monitor at the lower end of your budget it's a good contender. You may also not like the design of it as it'd really stand out in your current setup, but the customizable led desk logo can be turned off it's that happens to bother you.

Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
Intel i7-4930K
Asus RoG-Strix 1070ti A8G 
Asus P9X79 
Corsair Vengance 16GB DDR3 (4 x 4gb) RAM
Thermaltake Frio
Corsair HX750 
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
Seagate Firecuda 2tb

May I ask why not 1440p? My guess is that you are a FPS gamer. Then you could go with something like Asus ROG Swift PG27VQ or Dell S2716DG.

4 hours ago, Synedisis said:

Considering I'm a huge Asus fanboy I've gotta recommend an RoG monitor, and with a budget like that for just a 1080p monitor you could go really, really high end. The Asus RoG Swift PG258Q is a top of line monitor for 1080p. It's 244mz refresh, 1ms response, and with it being the higher end Swift rather than Strix, you also get G Sync. The drawbacks are that's it's quite expensive for just a 24.5" screen and it's has little improvements over 144hz monitors but if you're looking for an overkill monitor at the lower end of your budget it's a good contender. You may also not like the design of it as it'd really stand out in your current setup, but the customizable led desk logo can be turned off it's that happens to bother you.

I would also recommend the Asus RoG Swift PG258Q or maybe the Acer Predator XB272 27" or Acer Z271 also 27", though it has 4ms 

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

7 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

May I ask why not 1440p? My guess is that you are a FPS gamer.

I am not sure, do you recommend 1440P? I have never had a 1440P monitor, is there anything in particular I would need to know before looking into one? Do some games not support it and/ or does it have a different look?

I usually play a wide variety of games, DoTA 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Path of Exile, Warframe, World of Warships etc.

7 minutes ago, brndn1 said:

I am not sure, do you recommend 1440P? I have never had a 1440P monitor, is there anything in particular I would need to know before looking into one? Do some games not support it and/ or does it have a different look?

I usually play a wide variety of games, DoTA 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Path of Exile, Warframe, World of Warships etc.

I definitely recommend it. I have the Asus MG279Q which is 144Hz 1440p IPS no G-sync (has free sync) but 4 ms response. I love this monitor, colors are amazing and the amount of extra space you gain is great for everything. 

Of course it does hit the FPS but if you are not a competitive gamer and are happy with ~60 fps for now it's great. I do not know how the 1070 handles it but I would say it will be fine. I myself have the 970 and get around ~40 FPS on ROTR on high and ~50 FPS on Assassin's creed origins at high. 

As far as I know every game  supports it.

Especially with the budget you can spend you want to get a monitor which lasts you for the coming years.

Asus has a good line of 1440p monitors, such as the ROG Swift PG278QR, which I own. Its a 27" 144hz overclockable to 165hz with a 1ms response time and G-Sync. All well within your price range.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

On 6/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, FunkmastaFlex said:

1440p ROG Swift PG278QR

On 6/8/2018 at 11:45 AM, Zandvliet said:

Asus MG279Q which is 144Hz

On 6/7/2018 at 11:00 PM, Synedisis said:

Asus RoG Swift PG258Q

I'm guessing I am future proofing myself going 1440P rather than sticking with 1080P which is a very good thing in my eyes. I can always upgrade GPU down the road, SLI, lower graphic settings etc. if needed.

I have to be honest, I thought 1440P was some weird resolution that did not scale well which is why I was never looking into it. (Silly me)

I think I have narrowed it down to ASUS, 144Hz, 1440P, the thing I do not know is if I want to go for a 24" or 27", I am leaning towards 27".

Is there anything to know about playing in 1080P on a 1440P monitor?

Does this change live streaming games in anyway? (Myself streaming from Open Broadcast Software to Twitch for example)

Side question, is there a reason TV's went from 1080P straight to 4K dodging 1440P?

Appreciate the replies so far!

5 hours ago, brndn1 said:

I have to be honest, I thought 1440P was some weird resolution that did not scale well which is why I was never looking into it. (Silly me)

I think I have narrowed it down to ASUS, 144Hz, 1440P, the thing I do not know is if I want to go for a 24" or 27", I am leaning towards 27".

I would go for 27", I find 24" too small for a monitor and having 27" 1440p the ppi is perfect imo. 

5 hours ago, brndn1 said:

Is there anything to know about playing in 1080P on a 1440P monitor?

Does this change live streaming games in anyway? (Myself streaming from Open Broadcast Software to Twitch for example)

Side question, is there a reason TV's went from 1080P straight to 4K dodging 1440P?

As far as I know it will be the same on 1440p vs 1080p, though I do not stream games. 

My guess there were no reasons for TV to go 1440p, as for TV's 4K was easier than for monitors as the requirements for a TV are less demanding compared to monitors. Of course also the size of TV's matter, 4K just gives beter image than 1440p.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:01 AM, Zandvliet said:

I would go for 27"

UPDATE: Ended up ordering an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Ordered from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529526666&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+swift&dpID=41NvEug7zyL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I will see if the gamble is worth it!

Thank you for the information from everyone.

ORIGINAL:

I think I have enough information now to go with a 27"!

I am just wondering what you guys would prefer:

ASUS ROG PG278QR (TN)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236797

ASUS ROG PG279Q (IPS)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236660

I have only used TN panels before and have not seen the look of an IPS, at least in my household so I am not sure what I am missing out on.

I have heard of backlight bleed and smearing on an IPS but I am not sure what that looks like compared to the monitor I have currently.

I know that the panels have different response & input times and a TN based panel is usually faster than an IPS, but I still don't know what would be a close-to-perfect monitor for myself.

Dell S2417DG is the best all around monitor. Cheap, 1440p, 144-165Hz, Good colour gamut for TN panel, 1ms response time (although that doesn’t matter), and G-Sync. Dell S2716DGR is the same monitor but 27” instead of 24”. Slightly more expensive, less ppi, but more immersive, and still not too big. Go with one of these.

Desktop: Intel i7-8086K, Asus ROG Maximus X Code (probably, still can’t decide), NZXT Kraken X62 280mm, Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz, Corsair CX750M PSU, be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Inverted, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 500GB SSD, Samsung 850 Evo SATA 250GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD.

Laptop: Coming Soon

Peripherals: Razer Deathadder Elite Chroma, Razer Ornata Chroma, HyperX Cloud II Headset, Corsair Very-Large Mouse Mat