Idle CPU usage ~40% after update to 1803

vanished

So I updated my laptop to Windows 10 1803 today from 1709 and ever since then, when I look on the performance tab in task manager, it shows my CPU is about 25 - 40% used, give or take, but when I look in the details tab, nothing wants to take responsibility - the system idle process claims it's 90%+ idle.  90 + 40 =/= 100 so someone is lying, and I know by the fact games that used to run smoothly do not any more as well as the temperature of the body that it's the details tab - something is using this CPU time, even if it won't admit it.

I thought it was the indexing service and turned that off, but it's still doing something.  Any ideas?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

still updating more than likely. background install or data mining your buttocks..

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it shows my CPU is about 25 - 40% used, give or take, but when I look in the details tab, nothing wants to take responsibility

Try using the Resource Monitor. It will show things that don't show in task manager.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So I updated my laptop to Windows 10 1803 today

Most likely Windows still being a jerk and doing stuff in the background after the update. Checking for updates, installing updates, running virus scans, indexing, sending all your private information to Microsoft, etc.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

-_- you're not going to believe this but it's all fine now.  I swear, I have been fighting this all day, trying different things, rebooting, retesting, etc. and for literally hours, nothing seemed to make a difference.  I finally get around to making a thread, decide "hey I'll just reboot one more time since I know someone's gonna ask that" and sure enough, it's all good now.

I guess it does make sense that this was a "me" problem and not a global issue with 1803 or we would all have heard of the angry masses complaining by now xD

Still very odd...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Uhm @GoodBytes

@Ryan_Vickers I didn’t have any issues with 1803 that sent me to a fist of rage other than the usual Windows 10 quirks that I’ve hated for years. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

This update has been surprisingly painless for my headache of a system.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Apparently I spoke too soon... I had a good run of several uninterrupted minutes with the level of performance I used to have normally but it's gone back to crap with a baseline of at least 25% CPU used all the time.  At this point I feel like it's watching me and toggling the issue on and off just as I report it to troll

1 hour ago, airdeano said:

still updating more than likely. background install or data mining your buttocks..

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Try using the Resource Monitor. It will show things that don't show in task manager.

Most likely Windows still being a jerk and doing stuff in the background after the update. Checking for updates, installing updates, running virus scans, indexing, sending all your private information to Microsoft, etc.

As far as I can see it's not updating or installing anything, nor indexing or virus scanning.  I did look in resource monitor but it didn't provide any additional insight

@Ryan_Vickers

Go to : Settings > System Display > Notifications & actions > Turn OFF "Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows"

Open the registry and edit the following entry ;

HKLM\\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker

find the key called START and change it's value to 4

Restart

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

@Ryan_Vickers

Go to : Settings > System Display > Notifications & actions > Turn OFF "Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows"

Already done, I never have that on

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Open the registry and edit the following entry ;

HKLM\\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker

find the key called START and change it's value to 4

I don't see a "TimeBroker", just "TimeBrokerSvc", and "TokenBroker"

Might I ask what that does?  Is it just disabling a service?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Already done, I never have that on

Good! :)

I don't see a "TimeBroker", just "TimeBrokerSvc", and "TokenBroker"

Might I ask what that does?  Is it just disabling a service?

TimeBroker (in your case it should be TimeBrokerSvc) is a service that manages the "metro app" running in the background (somehow it's often an issue with Groove music or some other store apps stuck in the background) ... alternatively you could also try another setting ;

Settings > Privacy > Background apps

and turn off "Let apps run in the background"

But that might not help if the service TimeBroker is the issue ... 

Stuff I had to diagnose one time or another, I love Windows 10! :D  ... /s

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Good! :)

TimeBroker (in your case it should be TimeBrokerSvc) is a service that manages the "metro app" running in the background (somehow it's often an issue with Groove music or some other store apps stuck in the background) ... alternatively you could also try another setting ;

Settings > Privacy > Background apps

and turn off "Let apps run in the background"

But that might not help if the service TimeBroker is the issue ... 

Stuff I had to diagnose one time or another, I love Windows 10! :D  ... /s

Hm, well in that case those aren't the instructions I would have given... there's easier ways to disable a service :P  But thanks for the tip, I've already done it and we'll see how that goes.  Early signs are promising, but they're also too early to carry any weight

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, well in that case those aren't the instructions I would have given... there's easier ways to disable a service :P 

Well, since it's a problematic service, sometimes it won't let you disable it from the services console, I have been using the registry edit for a while to turn off different services because of that ;)

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Well, since it's a problematic service, sometimes it won't let you disable it from the services console, I have been using the registry edit for a while to turn off different services because of that ;)

Well I did a bit more testing and sadly that has not solved it :( I think it just seemed better because it was a fresh boot.  It seems to take a little while for the problem to activate.

Damn, if you look at the Performance tab in the Task manager, is one of your drive "Active time" is high but with low read and write speeds?

If so then it's most likely a problem with Windows Update, it might be hard to diagnose and short of doing a "reset" of Windows update (not a reset of the machine) it might stay like this for the next days or so.

You can look at what a Windows update reset looks like but it's not pretty, I think I have a batch file somewhere that I used once (if you're interested).

Damn, if you look at the Performance tab in the Task manager, is one of your drive "Active time" is high but with low read and write speeds?

If so then it's most likely a problem with Windows Update, it might be hard to diagnose and short of doing a "reset" of Windows update (not a reset of the machine) it might stay like this for the next days or so.

You can look at what a Windows update reset looks like but it's not pretty, I think I have a batch file somewhere that I used once (if you're interested).

No everything else is idling fine (disk, wifi, GPU, etc.) it's just CPU that's higher than it should be, and no matter where I look nothing will take responsibility for it.  I don't know how that's even possible, seems like that is a pretty significant issue all on its own.

It might be a driver issue then ... turn on "Show kernel time" in the Performance tab of the task manager.

If the "kernel" line (darker blue) is lower than the CPU usage then it's an application, if the kernel line matches the CPU usage then it's most definitely a driver issue ("kernel time" is only for high privilege access to the hardware).

It might be a driver issue then ... turn on "Show kernel time" in the Performance tab of the task manager.

If the "kernel" line (darker blue) is lower than the CPU usage then it's an application, if the kernel line matches the CPU usage then it's most definitely a driver issue ("kernel time" is only for high privilege access to the hardware).

Yeah I have a general idea what that indicates and the high idle is comprised pretty much entirely of this.  Any suggestions how I might find out the problem one?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I have a general idea what that indicates and the high idle is comprised pretty much entirely of this.  Any suggestions how I might find out the problem one?

Try using Kernrate (it should pull out the name of the driver that is using high kernel access)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24853

I personally never had to use it, so we're both in uncharted territory from now on! xD

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Try using Kernrate (it should pull out the name of the driver that is using high kernel access)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24853

I personally never had to use it, so we're both in uncharted territory from now on! xD

Wow, blast form the past lol that installer is super 90s

Any idea how to actually use it?  Seems to be a command line tool... I gave it a try but it complains about some error "NtCreateProfile on module kbdhid, source 0 failed c000000d".  At least I think that's an error message.

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

You can also use Process explorer, but sometimes it won't show the culprit that you might be looking for, especially if it's drivers related ;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

I remember that from the XP days xD but isn't helping here.  It disagrees on the total CPU usage and doesn't show and culprits either.

Wow, blast form the past lol that installer is super 90s

Any idea how to actually use it?  Seems to be a command line tool... I gave it a try but it complains about some error "NtCreateProfile on module kbdhid, source 0 failed c000000d".  At least I think that's an error message.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure on how to use it, it was an XP command line tool but apparently it still works in Windows 8 and 10, I can't do any tests with it right now since I'm on my work laptop, I'll try to figure it out later on my dekstop!

I remember that from the XP days xD but isn't helping here.  It disagrees on the total CPU usage and doesn't show and culprits either.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure on how to use it, it was an XP command line tool but apparently it still works in Windows 8 and 10, I can't do any tests with it right now since I'm on my work laptop, I'll try to figure it out later on my dekstop!

Looking around a bit it seems like it should be easy enough to use: just literally run it and read the output, no special flags needed.  But, as mentioned, it doesn't work for me :/

Yeah, looking around a bit and it seems it won't work on Windows 8 & 10, I misremember something for sure (I swear I remember someone using it on Windows 8 somehow ... :S).

The only issues that I've had on 1803 are BSODs and Freezes.

CPU Usage is all good :).

processor.PNG.19e6145bf5fe030317860bb2ecf2765b.PNG

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),