Lisa Su Confirms 7nm Radeon RX Graphics Cards For Gamers In 2019

AMD’s CEO, Lisa Su, announced at their Computex 2018 press conference that 7nm GPUs will be coming to gamers. The graphics cards will make their way to the market around 2019 but what is not confirmed at the moment is whether AMD is talking about 7nm Vega or 7nm Navi for gamers.

Not really news at this point, but it seems like a good "don't worry, we got you" sort of thing, and if Lisa Su is actually the one that says this, it's a confirmation of something must of us already knew.

Now, before anyone starts, due to limited web access, WCCFTECH is my only source at the time of writing. Tom's Hardware mentions it on one of their earlier posts as well (link below if you're interested) but this is the latest article I have access to right now and the only one actually claiming a confirmation on this. Now, I for one will choose to give this article the benefit of the doubt. Especially after considering this little tidbit from the AMD site itself:

AMD announced that 7nm Radeon “Vega” architecture-based Radeon Instinct has started sampling to initial customers and will launch in both server and workstation form factors for key compute use cases in 2H 2018.

Radeon™ RX Vega56 “nano” graphics card from PowerColor that enables small form factor enthusiast gaming performance

So if Vega is expected at 7nm, then the next gen has to be at 7nm. Agree or disagree at your leisure, but I am excited to see what they come up with for Navi.

Sources Used:
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-7nm-graphics-cards-gamers-2019/
https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/pushing-boundaries-for-2018jun05.aspx
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-7nm-gpu-vega-gaming,37228.html

its funny intel released a 28 core cpu then amd just released a 32 core and all this vega stuff 

So pascal for another year then... :( 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Yeah we've known that for like a year now. What would have been interesting if something had changed eg. delays or the time table moving up.

Pretty much guaranteed to be Navi and pretty much guaranteed to be 2H which is way too late considering the state of AMD graphics and with Nvidia apparently going in for the kill next month with a next gen launch.

2 hours ago, savagepain said:

its funny intel released a 28 core cpu then amd just released a 32 core and all this vega stuff 

Intel did not release a 28 core CPU, they took an existing server 28-core Xeon part and overclocked it to the max using a chiller to make their e-peen larger... We don't know if that's going to be a real product, and it's definitely nothing new because it's still Skylake-X...

Watch this video from Gamers Nexus which describes it best:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Lisa Su Confirms 7nm Radeon RX Graphics Cards For Gamers Miners In 2019

Although I'm not surprised, I was still hoping for something this year. If it's next year, then I hope it keeps up with and possibly exceed the majority of what NVidia is going to be offering (beyond mid-tier).

Okay, f***k this then. Miners will f***k it up for us again anyway so what's the point? In meanwhile nGreedia can milk customers to death since they got no reason to release new generation GPU's for gamers (lol fck that, I meant miners) and IF they will release them, it would be Pascal 2 or Pascal 2,5 or Pascal 3.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Okay, f***k this then. Miners will f***k it up for us again anyway so what's the point? In meanwhile nGreedia can milk customers to death since they got no reason to release new generation GPU's for gamers (lol fck that, I meant miners) and IF they will release them, it would be Pascal 2 or Pascal 2,5 or Pascal 3.

AMD releases cards: Fuck everything because of miners, and fuck Nvidia!
AMD doesn't release cards: Fucking miners and Nvidia!

9_9 PC community is a riot, nothing is ever right, everything is a problem.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Don't be like that. AMD and nVidia simply could have blocked mining by modifying drivers but they simply refuse.

I simply want to upgrade my 4 years and 2 months GTX780 but the prices are absurd.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Fine, nvidia can have my cash first then. Looking to stick my Vega 56 on water for fun so it might do some of its potential.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Don't be like that. AMD and nVidia simply could have blocked mining by modifying drivers but they simply refuse.

I simply want to upgrade my 4 years and 2 months GTX780 but the prices are absurd.

Tell me what edits they have to do to their driver to make mining impossible, and how miners are not supposed to be able to circumvent them.

Congratulations, should have bought a 1080 or 1070 when prices dropped.

It would set a bad precedent that they can choose what you want to do with the hardware. And it really wouldn't be that simple. Miners can change their code to evade any blocking attempt, and it'll just end up being a pointless war, and all users will suffer as the chances are there will be collateral damage along the way.

Where are you located? Most nvidia pricing has been near enough back at pre-mining levels for some time, at least in UK.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

PC community is a riot, nothing is ever right, everything is a problem.

And do you know the reason why that is?

One hint, gaming mindset.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Tell me what edits they have to do to their driver to make mining impossible, and how miners are not supposed to be able to circumvent them.

Congratulations, should have bought a 1080 or 1070 when prices dropped.

My GTX780 was used as a long-term component, not upgrading each year and so will my next one.

Weren't the GTX1000 bad for mining in the beginning? I could remember that if I'm right but not sure.

DAC/AMPs:

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

AMD DID NOTHING WRONG!

God save,bless, help AMD.

eNvy.dia sucks.

Hope for intel dGPU strike nvidia down.

Just now, CTR640 said:

Weren't the GTX1000 bad for mining in the beginning? I could remember that if I'm right but not sure.

When Ethereum was the hot thing, AMD cards did better at that. As more altcoins appeared some of them suited nvidia cards too, and gave them a boost.

Just now, porina said:

It would set a bad precedent that they can choose what you want to do with the hardware. And it really wouldn't be that simple. Miners can change their code to evade any blocking attempt, and it'll just end up being a pointless war, and all users will suffer as the chances are there will be collateral damage along the way.

Where are you located? Most nvidia pricing has been near enough back at pre-mining levels for some time, at least in UK.

I see. Then I keep my mouth.

I live in the Netherlands

Just now, porina said:

When Ethereum was the hot thing, AMD cards did better at that. As more altcoins appeared some of them suited nvidia cards too, and gave them a boost.

So they wrote their code to support those coins?

DAC/AMPs:

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

And do you know the reason why that is?

One hint, gaming mindset.

You mean.. mental deficiency?

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

My GTX780 was used as a long-term component, not upgrading each year and so will my next one.

So what. It's three years older than a 10xx series card, you could have upgraded if you chose to before prices exploded late last year. You didn't, now you're here. This also has nothing do with new cards coming out or not.

What does that have to do with anything? You also didn't answer my question how AMD and/or Nvidia are supposed to modify their drivers to prevent mining applications from running on them.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You also didn't answer my question how AMD and/or Nvidia are supposed to modify their drivers to prevent mining applications from running on them.

the companies really dont give a rats ass, all they want is as Kevin Leary always says MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We both know this!

21 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

It isn't Nvidia's fault that AMD catered to the miners, people had nothing else to buy but Nvidia cards which were already in short supply.

And since the source for this news is wccf, i'd take this with plenty of salt.  Meanwhile the rumors so far Nvidia is releasing new cards in July or August.

Edit: AMD or Nvidia can't block miners from using cards.

18 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

AMD showcases 7nm in their event, doesn't anything to show for it, and get to keep milking RX and overpriced Vega, everyone still yells fuck Nvidia.

Nvidia doesn't show anything so people assume they won't realse anything new and accuse on Nvidia of milking.

Intel showcases something which obviously had some extreme cooling,and obviously won't be sold like that,has a great Cinebench score but everyone still has to find problems.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You mean.. mental deficiency?

So what. It's three years older than a 10xx series card, you could have upgraded if you chose to before prices exploded late last year. You didn't, now you're here. This also has nothing do with new cards coming out or not.

What does that have to do with anything? You also didn't answer my question how AMD and/or Nvidia are supposed to modify their drivers to prevent mining applications from running on them.

i answered that question but not in your post. See my other reply to porina.

And so what I didn't bought it, how am I supposed to know the prices would explode?

DAC/AMPs:

Its called "BUZZ"

Its an entire industry

And they are professionals with phd's and masters degree's that milk your brain for all its worth.

Grocery stores do the exact same thang!

News, Nope!

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

AMD showcases 7nm in their event, doesn't anything to show for it, and get to keep milking RX and overpriced Vega, everyone still yells fuck Nvidia.

Nvidia doesn't show anything so people assume they won't realse anything new and accuse on Nvidia of milking.

Intel showcases something which obviously had some extreme cooling,and obviously won't be sold like that,has a great Cinebench score but everyone still has to find problems.

It's almost like people don't want to accept this is the current landscape from several factors and even then, you still have new and used cards available for not terrible prices. (Lest we forget graphics cards used to cost $650 10+ years ago)

I live in the Netherlands

I don't know how pricing is on mainland Europe, but are they really still silly? I can't imagine it being that different from the UK, at least in the free market zone. Taking two data points, 1070 start around £400 (450 eur), and 1080 start around £500 (570 eur). On the UK pricing, that is comparable to pre-mining levels. I got a FE 1070 for use in my VR system before mining, for £400. Arguably they could/should be even lower now, but offsetting that the price of ram has gone up regardless of mining.

So they wrote their code to support those coins?

I don't know enough to answer that. I doubt they would optimise solely for a certain GPU family, but certainly due to differences between them, one or other might do better.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It isn't Nvidia's fault that AMD catered to the miners, people had nothing else to buy but Nvidia cards which were already in short supply.

And since the source for this news is wccf, i'd take this with plenty of salt.  Meanwhile the rumors so far Nvidia is releasing new cards in July or August.

Edit: AMD or Nvidia can't block miners from using cards.

Alright, so that's how this is all happened. Thanks for explaining it.

DAC/AMPs: