Feedback on my website

Neutrideo

imo its too wide and text in navigation needs more contrast to the background

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Website says 

tristan-garratt.me’s server IP address could not be found.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40
Storage: Boot Drive: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Other Storage: Mass Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM, Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB 5400 RPM, Scratch Disk: Intel X25-E SSDSA2SH032G1 32GB SATA II SSD, Backup Drive: Seagate ST3160318AS 160GB HDD
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower
PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum S 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
Monitors: Primary: Samsung S34E790C 34" 3440*1440 60 Hz UWQHD; Secondary: LG 34UM58-P 34" 2560*1080 75 Hz UWFHD; Tertiary: BenQ GL2460 24" 1920*1080 60 Hz FHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mk. 2 RGB Gaming Keyboard - Black

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS Gaming Mouse - Black, Logitech MX Master 3

Headphones: Corsair VOID PRO Surround Cherry 7.1ch

Speakers: Logitech Z213 7W 2.1ch

Laptop:

Asus Zenbook Pro 15 (UX535Li-E2018T) with Intel Core i7-10750-H 12MB @ 2.60GHz (Turbo @ 5.0 GHz), 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2933 MHz SODIMM and Intel(R) UHD Graphics; NVidia Geforce GTX 1650-Ti with Max-Q Design, using WDC NVMe PC SN730 SDBPNTY-1T00-1102, on a 96-Wh battery

NAS Specs:

Make & Model: QNAP TS-1277

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @Stock

Hard Drives: x8 WD Red 2TB

SSDs (2.5"): x1 Samsung 850 Evo 250GB V-NAND (cache drive)

M.2 SSDs: None

RAID Configuration: RAID 6 (excluding SSD)

Total Storage: 12TB

Expansion Cards: None

Header bar/menu bar at the top is really hard to read. Text spacing is a little odd, margins with images are inconsistent.

Layout needs a lot of work. If you want to build something more modern, you might want to use JavaScript and more modern colouring schemes (gradient background is a bit 2003).

What's the interactive part there? I don't see anything except displaying static content, text and images.

If it is supposed to be informative page about industrial revolution, then you should have a lot more content on the page.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

10 hours ago, jj9987 said:

Header bar/menu bar at the top is really hard to read. Text spacing is a little odd, margins with images are inconsistent.

Layout needs a lot of work. If you want to build something more modern, you might want to use JavaScript and more modern colouring schemes (gradient background is a bit 2003).

What's the interactive part there? I don't see anything except displaying static content, text and images.

If it is supposed to be informative page about industrial revolution, then you should have a lot more content on the page.

It is meant to be interactive, That is what I am aiming at. What colour schemes do you suggest?

10 hours ago, Hugs12343 said:

Website says 

tristan-garratt.me’s server IP address could not be found.

IT works for most other people

10 hours ago, Neftex said:

imo its too wide and text in navigation needs more contrast to the background

Thanks for the feedback!

Some general stuff: you should separate html and css. It makes everything more readable if you want to make any changes. I'm not really sure why you're loading bootstrap and jquery. Your site doesn't adapt any techniques that require those libraries. Everything could be done in simple CSS and HTML.

Regarding the design: sure, it's all a matter of taste but it does seem pretty dated and a bit late 90s ish. You might want to have a look at general webdesign trends and get inspired. Just google for something like "fresh color schemes websites". Look for fresh/popular combinations of google fonts. Have a look at fundamental design principles in webdesign like rule of thirds and flow (i.e. 3 effective web design principles for the non designer or The principles of good web design p.1). Get inspired by other people's good designs (i.e. https://www.awwwards.com/).

This sure is a lot to take in and your first websites won't be breathtaking, it definitely is quite a way from getting something to show up in a browser to a well designed website but you can do it. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 hours ago, bowrilla said:

Some general stuff: you should separate html and css. It makes everything more readable if you want to make any changes. I'm not really sure why you're loading bootstrap and jquery. Your site doesn't adapt any techniques that require those libraries. Everything could be done in simple CSS and HTML.

Regarding the design: sure, it's all a matter of taste but it does seem pretty dated and a bit late 90s ish. You might want to have a look at general webdesign trends and get inspired. Just google for something like "fresh color schemes websites". Look for fresh/popular combinations of google fonts. Have a look at fundamental design principles in webdesign like rule of thirds and flow (i.e. 3 effective web design principles for the non designer or The principles of good web design p.1). Get inspired by other people's good designs (i.e. https://www.awwwards.com/).

This sure is a lot to take in and your first websites won't be breathtaking, it definitely is quite a way from getting something to show up in a browser to a well designed website but you can do it. 

Of course, If you visit the bare domain https://tristan-garratt.me, Thats a horrible website.

Text centered on screen like that is bad for reading... it's better to have the text aligned to a side, use justify if you want the text to fill some width. Don't maximize the window, have it at some half way size of your monitor and then play with the browser size, see how the text reflows ... that's bad.

Space between lines is too big.

May want to consider using attributes like min-width , max-height etc

Should try to keep the number of characters below around 100-120, anything above that makes it difficult for a lot of people to keep track of position in paragraph, makes eyes tired etc - see https://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability

Maybe aim for minimum something below 1366 x 768 , that's the smallest common resolution these days, besides 1280x800 .. basically the width of such a monitor, minus what would normally take for a vertical scrollbar on the side.

I like the contents of the website. I read through it all. (I like history)
However as some said, the website is a bit... wide-ish. Here's a picture on my 16:9 17" monitor:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.59ba883b3012b2ae39418f2cfbb4fbcd.png

I read through it binded to the left side of the screen which made everything well spaced & sized. 
If I were to change the website, I'd make the pictures big and to the right side of the screen (Which seems to be the internet's unspoken natural format) like on Wikipedia

Aside from that, I don't mind the colors, though some may disagree with them. I like how the buttons in the upper right change color when you hover over them. But they kinda turn into a color really close to their background color. 

Looks good for what I expect to be a beginner website or final project start for an intro to HTML class.