Gigabyte Is Making Fake RGB RAM

Shreyas1

Do you hate having extra unused DIMM slots? Well Gigabyte has the solution for you!

Basically they're adding RGB kits that you can put into your DIMM slots for absolutely no benefit to their kits of RAM

Two of the sticks are 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4 memory, but the other half of the bundle is two faux-RAM sticks that are made of the same aluminum housing with LEDs that can sync up with the actual RAM sticks. But they have none of the functional memory bits.

The idea is that gamers who are looking to complete their sweet, illuminated gaming rigs won’t be left with empty memory slots on their motherboard bereft of LED lighting in the event that they don’t want to spring for a full 64GB of RAM.

And for whatever reason if you want to buy these they're also planning on selling them separately later on.

And the whole DDR4 kits will launch at $229 in June.

Personally, I don't like RGB and don't mind my DIMM slots having nothing in them, so I don't really need these.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/5/17425330/gigabyte-color-changing-ram-aorus-rgb-led-ddr4-controllable-computex

Edit: Here's a video

skip to 6:40 for the fake RAM

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I agree but more options don't hurt if you want to go that route

I honestly think their should be a set standard for rgb going forward

All can sync and all can be interchangeable

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

Yeah... never gonna happen. Companies love their proprietary software, and they're going to continue using it.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, emosun said:

it's like those fake hood vents for cars and it's just as cringy

or those fake exausts

Just now, bellabichon said:

Yeah... never gonna happen. Companies love their proprietary software, and they're going to continue using it.

All it takes is someone to push a standard or more companies to add support for other composites products and consumers showing with their buying power

Totally see a market for this, and I'd absolutely be one that would purchase some extras to fill up the DIMMS.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

it's like those fake hood vents for cars and it's just as cringy

I thought of that as well, really like that fake garbage you slap on a car to make it look faster. This RGB crap has gone too far.

12 minutes ago, pas008 said:

All it takes is someone to push a standard or more companies to add support for other composites products and consumers showing with their buying power

Yeah sure, companies are going to have a supported standard on fake ram sticks.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I thought of that as well, really like that fake garbage you slap on a car to make it look faster. This RGB crap has gone too far.

Yeah sure, companies are going to have a supported standard on fake ram sticks.

Maybe some some should read all comments

Especially second post before posting

Will some motherboards get confused thinking that it is a faulty RAM stick That would be the main concern.

Personally I don't want additional RGB in my PC but if there is a market for it then fine. Those who want it can purchase it.

Ah yes, the dummy ones. Saw the BitWit video, and I must say, while I won't be getting Gigabyte RAM anytime soon, I do hope that others will follow. I would very much appreciate having 4 RGB DIMMs of TridentZ.

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Was hoping to see the first RGB gaming toothbrush with proprietary RGB toothpaste

I am disappoint

i hoped i could sync my RGB underwear with Aura sync, i guess i will have to wait a little longer. SAD!

How about actually increasing DRAM supply so that we can actually afford a full set of real RAM?

6 hours ago, pas008 said:

I believe Asus, Corsair, Gigabyte & MSI are consulting on such a project right now. Kind of a standard for RGB so everything from any manufacturer can all sync together.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 hours ago, bellabichon said:

It is happening, Asus, Corsair, Gigabyte & MSI are working towards a standard.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Tbh, I have a pretty RGB build, but only because thats what came with the set up, the wraith spire LED, the fans on the H500p, lights on the motherboard. I am building a PC for a client and I was finding it hard to find motherboards that are not RGB(for AM4). 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1. Buy this RAM kit twice
2. Sell the functioning RAM sticks
3. Have a PC with 0 GB of RAM, but cool RGB
4. ???
5. Profit

If I ever care this much about lighting in my computer, fill free to punch me right in the face.

I remember when that exact kit without dummy sticks did cost around 100-120$... they don't want to seem like they're doing price fixing so they still do it but mask it with dummy ram sticks...

How intelligent.

3 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

You still buy RAM? I just download mine for free.

I don't have any more download volume after I used it all to download "Very important security updates" from totallymircozoft.legit.com which PCSuperSpeedToolkit.pdf.msi recommended.

7 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

1. Buy this RAM kit twice
2. Sell the functioning RAM sticks
3. Have a PC with 0 GB of RAM, but cool RGB
4. Listen to the symphony of bleep codes

5. Release bleep code symphony

6. DCMA and sue anyone who dares to use bleep codes.
7. Profit

If I ever care this much about lighting in my computer, fill free to punch me right in the face.

Corrected.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

... THIS. This is how we know RGB has gone too far and will never stop.

image.png.b84965979eb86fbc9988584eebf21352.png

Could you come up with ghetto solution by using some kind of dummy sticks and RGB heatspreads from ebay (yes, you can buy RGB heatsinks for your non-RGB RAM)?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold