Liquid Metal Turned My CPU Cooler to DUST!? (Learn From My Mistake!!)

bmichaels556

So a couple weeks ago, I decided to rig up and old Xeon X5675 rig that I got a decent deal on. However, it was a Dell T3500 motherboard, so it needed a proprietary 5-pin Dell fan. It was kind of an open test bench type of thing, so the rig is simply laid on my desk. I bought an LGA 1366 aluminum cpu cooler, as one does, but for $20. Even still, it's a nice, beefy cooler, no doubt. I decided to try CoolLabs' liquid metal stuff for the first time. 

Because I didn't have the proper cooler, I simply put down the liquid metal and laid my cooler on top of it, with a small 5-pin Dell fan on top of that. It cooled fine... But not long after, I noticed temperatures jump above where they were at the start. They stayed, so I didn't worry. I then finally was able to obtain the proper T3500 CPU cooler. Upon taking off the other cooler, it literally started falling apart! The center of the cooler is all black and coroded, and this corrosion spreads a bit, out towards the outside of the cooler's fins. A slight amount of pressure on the fins snaps them right off!

No doubt this is due to the liquid metal... I missed the damn warning about not using it on aluminum and now I had to pay the price. I may just avoid it altogether in the future...

Welp, that's $20 down the drain, plus the $5 for the garbage liquid metal that I'm not using... This sucks.

IMG_20180606_223233.jpg

IMG_20180606_223249.jpg

IMG_20180606_223302.jpg

IMG_20180606_223326.jpg

IMG_20180606_223353.jpg

:(

When you buy liquid metal it goes out of its way to tell you not to use it on aluminum coolers....

This isn't a problem with the liquid metal, its your fault for not reading. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I don't think you're supposed to use LM with aluminum. Copper is ok

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

53 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

-SNIP-

That's suppose to happen if it touches aluminum, it specifically says to not use it with aluminum based coolers as they will quite literally get eaten away. 

Mixing metals can cause this.... Gallium causes structural failure of Aluminum.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Damn... Yeah, I just did a little more research and realized how bad gallium affects aluminum...

I read the instructions primarily in regards to application, but I guess I must have missed the part about not using an aluminum cooler...

I guess you live and learn, and I'll definitely never screw that up again. But out of curiosity, how can this be avoided? Will a solid copper contact prevent this? It seems as though it rode its way up the heatsink, but I'd imagine that's only because of gallium's reaction with aluminum, and not because it was due to any kind of evaporation or anything like that?

this thread is full of every kind of kek there can be.

gallium leaches into the the pores of aluminum. even the slightest bit of contact will cause a catastrophic cascading failure of the crystalline structure.

copper does not.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

When you buy liquid metal it goes out of its way to tell you not to use it on aluminum coolers....

This isn't a problem with the liquid metal, its your fault for not reading. 

Eh, did read, but must have missed that part. I was more concerned about how to properly apply it, and wasn't really looking for how it would kill aluminum. 

1 minute ago, bmichaels556 said:

Eh, did read, but must have missed that part. I was more concerned about how to properly apply it, and wasn't really looking for how it would kill aluminum. 

For application it needs to be spread extremely thin on both contacting areas, the CPU and cooler, essentially wetting the surfaces to get a good contact. Liquid metal doesn't spread like regular thermal paste and tends to bead up on surfaces if not spread out. 

The original heatsink that comes with those T3500s should have a copper plate on the bottom if I'm remembering correctly... maybe that's the slightly beefier version, I dunno. I had a few and they were pretty good, would imagine that would work nicely with liquid metal. If your system didn't come with one, they're fairly cheap on eBay.

image.jpeg.0b82f0381cb1a635b9fa8f028d79f5de.jpeg

34 minutes ago, SpiralTTGL said:

when u can't read

The irony here...

*Posts "when u can't read" without reading my reply right before. 

11 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

kek

I mean if you're just going to post a one-word nonsensical response, probably like your 4,000 others, maybe just refrain from doing so. 

This thread has devolved into "Can't read". - I did, and missed it. 

"Kek" - Okay, responding to serious threads with internet memez that have nothing to do with anything is super mature. 

I made a mistake, crucify me.

34 minutes ago, Leinad4400 said:

The original heatsink that comes with those T3500s should have a copper plate on the bottom if I'm remembering correctly... maybe that's the slightly beefier version, I dunno. I had a few and they were pretty good, would imagine that would work nicely with liquid metal. If your system didn't come with one, they're fairly cheap on eBay.

image.jpeg.0b82f0381cb1a635b9fa8f028d79f5de.jpeg

I ended up going with the other variant (all aluminum with the weird tapered top) since I'm already running the fan and it seems to be working fine, about 60 Celsius under 100% load, and with that crap 10 gram capsule of paste off Ebay. 

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Just dropping by to add my kek to the thread.

Kek.

Thanks bro, much appreciated...

1 minute ago, Matsozetex said:

Just dropping a complementary Kek for not reading instructions.

Kek. 

Going to respond to your Kek by saying that I did, missed it, and just went back again to find them, and noticed that the warning isn't all that clear and can be easily overlooked.

Although I'm probably wasting my time even responding to this stupidity. 

3 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

Going to respond to your Kek by saying that I did, missed it, and just went back again to find them, and noticed that the warning isn't all that clear and can be easily overlooked.

No problem, as a wise dwarf once said, everyone has moments of shit to the brain. You are lucky that the LIM didn't damage other parts, or you had used a more expensive cooler. 

21 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

The warnings come after the spells

Also, liquid metal only really benefits you when you put it on a CPU that's delidded or didn't come with a heatspreader to start with (like laptop CPUs). It offers zero benefits over regular TIM when a heatspreader is installed.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

For a second I thought this was a new LTT video going by the title. 

Kek. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III