Seasonic introduces SCMD: End your cable clutter!

Seasonic has presented a solution to all of that awful cable clutter, zip ties and cable management headache that goes on with building a PC by introducing their System Cable Management Device (SCMD).  This is basically a way to move all of your PSU cables to a simple bar system that hangs out behind the motherboard and you can then just select the right modular cable to go to whatever you are powering, also drastically shortening the custom cable runs.  And because this is 2018, it also has RGB lighting on it, so should you have one of those nice new cases with glass back paneling, you don't need to worry about crappy looking cable management.  

https://www.pcper.com/news/Cases-and-Cooling/Seasonic-shows-their-new-System-Cable-Management-Device

...with a compatible PSU you are able to connect directly to the Seasonic Backplane, aka the SCMD, with all of your power plugs distributed on the side of the device.  Simply connect the cabling you require, and leave out any you do not need.  It is thin enough to fit behind your motherboard, thus hiding almost all of your wiring and also ensuring you do not have to stretch that additional motherboard power cable.

IMG_0022_preview.jpeg.49176f6ddf8c316a839d697ff33cb12a.jpeg

Seasonic claims that introducing the SCMD into your power loop will only drop efficiency by 1% overall, making it a perfect alternative to modular cabling.  As with all things Computex this year, it does indeed sport an RGB logo, if you prefer to install it where it can contribute to the rave party in your case. We do not yet have a price or a date on which it becomes available, but Seasonic suggests it will come in three sizes to ensure a proper fit in almost any system.

I might have to consider one of these for my next build to help kill the cable clutter and it honestly doesn't look too bad...  Would love to see someone review how much this impacts power delivery as opposed to direct cables from PSU.

Seasonic Page:  https://www.seasonic.com/scmd/

I haven't read the the info page for this SCMD because I'm a bit busy, but I have a two questions that I hope someone can answer for me:

- Will this part ONLY fit in Seasonic cases or what?

- Do you get those custom extension cables with the purchase of the SCMD or do you need to buy them separately?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

I don't think Seasonic focuses on cases, just power supplies, so I would assume based on the images that this fits most standard ATX cases...  You probably need a Seasonic PSU on the other hand.

4 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

- Do you get those custom extension cables with the purchase of the SCMD or do you need to buy them separately?

The product page makes no mention of the custom extensions, so you would probably need to buy those separately, although at least the length of cables should be a lot shorter. 

It looks like everything's running off just a 24 pin and 8 pin. Could cause problems with multiple graphics cards or in an HEDT system.

14 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Seasonic doesn't even make cases AFAIK.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Seasonic doesn't even make cases AFAIK.

How would I know, I said I haven't read the info page. I thought maybe SeaSonic might've released a case just like Asus did recently. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

It looks like everything's running off just a 24 pin and 8 pin. Could cause problems with multiple graphics cards or in an HEDT system.

Kind of what I was thinking looking at that...  Wish there were better photos/description of the product.  Also why I would like to see it actually tested. 

1 hour ago, Rasbir Singh said:

I haven't read the the info page for this SCMD because I'm a bit busy, but I have a two questions that I hope someone can answer for me:

I'm sure if this takes off, NZXT, Corsair, etc.. will make their own versions, probably in RGB too.

18 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm sure if this takes off, NZXT, Corsair, etc.. will make their own versions, probably in RGB too.

The logo is already RGB on this so the next step would be to make the entire thing a giant RGB stick with power connectors attached.

A very clever concept. I would not be surprised to see this concept integrated into a few cases in the future. Inwin already likes to include PSUs in HALO products, they're a prime suspect.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

That....that actually seems fairly intuitive, like it makes me and probably all other vendors look like idiots in a "Of course why didn't I think of that!" moment.

I'm sure others have thought of it, it's the implementation that determines if it's a success or failure.  I rather like this (so long as you can turn the RGB off).  I may have to look into getting one, once it's out and been reviewed.

I dig the idea, but my hella OCD side would make me want custom-length cables going from the PSU to the bar to reduce that clutter, and at that point it'd make more sense to just get normal custom length cables...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What??? Something at computex this year that isn't fully RGB and has an actual purpose????

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

what how? I can see the 3 sets of PCIE connectors 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Actually, seems to run from a specific PSU.5b18b8b01f9e7_Image083.png.e3a67828a612d9ec27e543b4c7ac1b6d.png

I think the PSU just provides lots of 12V and Ground and the SCMD splits it and provides the other smaller rails.

I think it takes up more space than well managed cables. If the cables are done well enough, they will look better than this thing.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

9 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

What??? Something at computex this year that isn't fully RGB and has an actual purpose????

Hey now, Noctua has 3 new coolers, one of which Hotblack Desiato would be proud of, and prototyped 140 fans. None of which include any RGB.

This thing needs custom length cables.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

hmm o_o so it's just a giant power-out board, rather than it being able to accept any 24-pin connection from any PSU?

From the video over at Kitguru (approx 3:50 into video), it's sounding like it is keyed to Seasonic PSUs but there is no mention on whether it has to be a specific model.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/matthew-wilson/computex-2018-seasonics-system-cable-management-device-and-new-psus/

So..lemme get this straight, ATX, a platform with cases already optimized for cable management, gets more management options over itx. How does this make sense lol

5 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

From the video over at Kitguru (approx 3:50 into video), it's sounding like it is keyed to Seasonic PSUs but there is no mention on whether it has to be a specific model.

I'm guessing since they say they're thinking of up to 3 different sizes of SCMD for ATX, mATX and mini-ITX cases. That could mean they would have versions of Prime Gold adapted for it. So if they adapt all their 5 different wattages, or maybe even more.

So you would have 3 SCMDs and 5-6 PSUs that you could mix to some limit. Bigger SCMD could distribute more watts or something like that.

Smallest SCMD could be limited to 550W and biggest to 1200W maybe...

I'm doing something similar for the fourteen 5.25" bays in the case I'm building. It's a power strip I made with seventeen SATA power sockets on it. It will feed my ODD, two 4-SSD bays, five hot swap bays, etc. Each bay has its own socket plus there are two extra sockets at the top and one extra socket at the bottom. I'll just ned a short jumper from the power strip to the bay device. If I decide to move the device up or down in the bay, all I need to do is unplug the jumper from the power strip and plug it back into the strip in the new location.

60.thumb.JPG.2ddd85d74daa3d09005070a889130835.JPG

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

YES omg please give me this

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15