Intel's 28 Core 5Ghz CPU is misleading at best

RadiatingLight
10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Everyone's going to shit on Intel for this, but it's not like AMD is any better. When they released Ryzen they cherry picked benchmarks it'd excel at, and real performance wasn't nearly as impressive. Same thing with their GPU benchmarks.

I consider showing off your product in the best way possible at stock configurations a consumer will have once purchased in a much different ballpark to not clearly disclosing exotic cooling and non stock configuration. One isn't the full truth or picture and one is outright misleading if you hide that information.

6 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

On another thought: Since, for all intents and purposes, this was an Octo-socket capable sku, I'm wondering what the board could have looked like with eight of these all clocked that high. Even better, what would the power supply have looked like. Sooooo much rgb ram as well....

224 cores @ 5Ghz*, RIP TR.

*16kw 3 phase generator required

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

A company puts crap on display it never intends on selling.  It is done to showcase what they can achieve, nothing more nothing less.   

Well at least car company's introduce it as a concept car.... ;)

I think this is fun times on multicore 

But on that note

We haven't seen what emib can do

From many years of watching tech first to create isn't always first to do it better

We do know mesh Intel still better than single core minus emib penalties if there are some we might have equal cpus

23 minutes ago, leadeater said:

224 cores @ 5Ghz*, RIP TR.

*16kw 3 phase generator required

*heat pump required

Electric company: "sir, why again, did you say you needed a 480v residential hookup?"

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

*heat pump required

Electric company: "sir, why again, did you say you needed a 480v residential hookup?"

Electric heating.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

10 hours ago, WereCat said:

I just have to laugh at how everyone is misunderstanding what Intel actually did there.

Intel is trying to get into a market with aquarium water chillers which will be a replacement for their old stock coolers to compete with the AMD Wraith  cooler. They were clearly just showcasing how great their first chiller is and that it doesn't even break a sweat when trying to cool ~1.5kW monster and that you are also able to OC with it.

will the chillers have RGB? and will they sync with AURA?

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well at least car company's introduce it as a concept car.... ;)

It's a concept processor application. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Per the ASUS display that LTT saw, it would appear that the 28c is running about 4.2 Ghz under a massive water block.

13 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

GN has just released a video about this. It's called 28 cores of bullshit.

Guys correct me on this because maybe I'm missing something but aside from the fact that Steve seems salty AF in his video, how exactly is Intel deceiving everyone with how this is cooled? I saw Paul's Hardware video, they are not exactly hiding that chiller, it's right beneath the table and from the tubing insulation that's on display it's pretty obvious that the chip is running sub-ambient.

If some tech news reported this as some miracle chip that is supposedly be running at 5GHz just on water it's one thing (and it's on them) but his tantrum is more directed at Intel here and not those news reports.

It took Paul less than a minute with the rig to conclude that it's probably running sub-ambient...Has Steve even seen that rig in person?

Genuinely asking, maybe I'm missing something but, I don't know, people don't really go to insulated systems with LN2 (clearly visible) and shout "it's bullshit" because everyone knows how it's done.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

10 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Guys correct me on this because maybe I'm missing something but aside from the fact that Steve seems salty AF in his video, how exactly is Intel deceiving everyone with how this is cooled? I saw Paul's Hardware video, they are not exactly hiding that chiller, it's right beneath the table and from the tubing insulation that's on display it's pretty obvious that the chip is running sub-ambient.

If some tech news reported this as some miracle chip that is supposedly be running at 5GHz just on water it's one thing (and it's on them) but his tantrum is more directed at Intel here and not those news reports.

It took Paul less than a minute with the rig to conclude that it's probably running sub-ambient...Has Steve even seen that rig in person?

Genuinely asking, maybe I'm missing something but, I don't know, people don't really go to insulated systems with LN2 (clearly visible) and shout "it's bullshit" because everyone knows how it's done.

There's the "tech review sphere", then there's the normal "tech news sphere". I think Steve was responding to commentary outside of the people that we tend to follow among the LTT-related set.

6 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:
-snip-

Whole saltiness is because when Intel was showcasing that CPU they did just say "28-cores at 5Ghz, Horray!" and didn't say a word about sub-ambient cooling, which basicly makes it just overclocked Xeon which is already possible to get 28-cores at 5.0Ghz with sub-ambient cooling (as long as you get modded BIOS and MB that has beefy enough VRM cooling). So, Intel didn't showcase new CPU, they just showcased OC'd Skylake-X Xeon and this is pretty much backed by Andandtechs report about Intel quite fastly collecting sample CPUs away from partners when the news about sub-ambient cooling broke loose.

15 hours ago, porina said:

It is a bit like concept cars. Something to show what could be done.

They wanted to have a response ( without production value after all)  for threadripper, as not to give headlines in news only for it

6 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Whole saltiness is because when Intel was showcasing that CPU they did just say "28-cores at 5Ghz, Horray!

Okay, I get it. The confusion was because I didn't watch the Intel Keynote, only how the rig looked on the floor and I thought that was Intel showcasing it. I was like "ok, it's on the floor, the chiller is right next to it, the tubes are insulated and thick, where is the deception?". 

Just watched the keynote fragment and now I get it.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's the "tech review sphere", then there's the normal "tech news sphere". I think Steve was responding to commentary outside of the people that we tend to follow among the LTT-related set.

As much as I like Steve's videos he does and can get away with a lot more sh*t stirring or clickbait than LTT or Paul does. There isn't anything to really "review" when it's a concept, yet Steve is salty anyway. Though I wonder if GN even had a peek at the Asus system on water cooling, which Linus also speculates is just a modded dual socket workstation board, also powered with 2x EPS connectors which TR2 boards are going to have.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

As much as I like Steve's videos he does and can get away with a lot more sh*t stirring or clickbait than LTT or Paul does. There isn't anything to really "review" when it's a concept, yet Steve is salty anyway. Though I wonder if GN even had a peek at the Asus system on water cooling, which Linus also speculates is just a modded dual socket workstation board, also powered with 2x EPS connectors which TR2 boards are going to have.

Steve was pissed off at the press conference for the withholding of critical information which lead to misinformation being spread by tech media, something Intel would 100% of known would happen. Showing off cool shit, concepts etc is great and highly interesting but you need to state what something is or put a clear label on it.

The biggest click bait was the Intel press conference and this 28 core system. If Intel was up front and said it was chilled water sub ambient overclocking of an unlocked Xeon powered by an extreme motherboard delivering well over 1000W it would have got about as much attention as the other OC events that happen at these conferences, mild interest and not much more.

P.S. the system in the press conference had 4 EPS, the ASUS demo unit was much lower spec and was only a standard custom water loop nothing exotic. Now that Asus system I would rather have seen.

25 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Whole saltiness is because when Intel was showcasing that CPU they did just say "28-cores at 5Ghz, Horray!" and didn't say a word about sub-ambient cooling, which basicly makes it just overclocked Xeon which is already possible to get 28-cores at 5.0Ghz with sub-ambient cooling (as long as you get modded BIOS and MB that has beefy enough VRM cooling). So, Intel didn't showcase new CPU, they just showcased OC'd Skylake-X Xeon and this is pretty much backed by Andandtechs report about Intel quite fastly collecting sample CPUs away from partners when the news about sub-ambient cooling broke loose.

Well because that is all it was, a showcase, like a concept car showing it could be done then later like a concept car the tech in some way gets into production. You don't see car companies revealing every detail on something that isn't final yet either.

18 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

They wanted to have a response ( without production value after all)  for threadripper, as not to give headlines in news only for it

More like it's what the headlines are spreading that a concept is somehow a response because clickbait assumptions work too, but their showcase still worked since everyone is talking about it.

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well because that is all it was, a showcase, like a concept car showing it could be done then later like a concept car the tech in some way gets into production.

More like it's what the headlines are spreading that a concept is somehow a response because clickbait assumptions work too, but their showcase still worked since everyone is talking about it.

Car manufacture A at car show:

Company A: "Look at our amazing concept car, we see this as the future of cars and will bring this technology in to our cars as we develop them further."

Intel at Computex:

Intel: "Look at our amazing 28 core CPU running at 5Ghz with an amazing Cinebench score."

Car shows state it's a concept, Intel did not. Unless you say it then it is not a concept, unless we are to assume everything at Computex are concept and not real products coming to market soon?

41 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Steve point out the problems. Old CPU pretending it was a new CPU. Below ambient not disclosed. And the lack of critic thinking by the media.

what concept? Steve is angry af because THAT IS NOT A NEW PRODUCT , intel is cheating customers with refurbished xeons so... is not like a concept car, is exactly picking a 2008 car beefing the engine and tell all people on the biggest car expo that is a new car... so its not like steve hasnt got reasons to not tell that fucking bullshit

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

6 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

what concept? Steve is angry af because THAT IS NOT A NEW PRODUCT , intel is cheating customers with refurbished xeons so... is not like a concept car, is exactly picking a 2008 car beefing the engine and tell all people on the biggest car expo that is a new car... so its not like steve hasnt got reasons to not tell that fucking bullshit

some people were hoping intel was going to take up the core race. LIKE ME. but no. its just another Xeon with a name i cant remember

Intel has fallen so deep, to resort to using tricks to generate headlines.

11 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Or taking an existing car and putting an electric motor in it claiming it is new technology.  Intel just took an existing product cooled it with a bar fridge and said look, check this shit out!!!  

To be honest the article doesn't claim Intel advertised it as a new CPU and they are only speculating it is an older xeon.  So I don't know how it can be considered cheating or misleading if they are simply demonstrating a 28 core CPU without any real claims of what it is. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.