Intel's 28 Core 5Ghz CPU is misleading at best

RadiatingLight
2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't think Intel was promising at all that the future product would have 5Ghz or could be normally achieved, I think it was a show piece and is actually impressive. 28 cores at 5Ghz is nothing short of amazing.

Being that they confirmed it's on an existing 14nm process does mean anything on that sort of level is well above a normal overclock, won't stop anyone from trying though :).

But have they specifically said this new product won't reach 5Ghz or are they conveniently leaving all the media reports to sell a product they have no capability to release?   Saying they should have mentioned it was overclocked is fine and dandy but it doesn't address the media claims that their next product will reach 5ghz.  Now on stage this is not misleading, but when specifically asked and having the media draw attention to it while failing to specifically rectify any incorrect information after the fact is misleading.

Damn this discussion is getting twisted.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It sure is!

I don’t mind though :-D

On 6/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, pas008 said:

misleading

On 6/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, pas008 said:

we all know all companies do this

Even Linus

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

But have they specifically said this new product won't reach 5Ghz or are they conveniently leaving all the media reports to sell a product they have no capability to release?   Saying they should have mentioned it was overclocked is fine and dandy but it doesn't address the media claims that their next product will reach 5ghz.  Now on stage this is not misleading, but when specifically asked and having the media draw attention to it while failing to specifically rectify any incorrect information after the fact is misleading.

Thing is they never said they would bring it to market at 5Ghz, only the product. Their statement about the frequency was for that CPU/system on stage and when later asked and they confirmed it was overclocked (the product) that means it is not running at stock. By saying it was overclocked is also stating that the 5Ghz frequency is not a standard clock for the product.

You're right the reporting was bad but it's only those reports that said it would have 5Ghz, not Intel, which would likely not have happened if they had actually said on stage that it was overclocked.

6 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

we should be rejoicing? lol typical sheep...

Lol

Name calling? Huh

I don't fanboy on products i buy best for my needs

That's not a sheep

17 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Because FREEDOM!  We get to choose between 110v and 120v, we're not restricted to one option like the rest of you! ;) 

Deception by omission is still deception.  If you show off a plot of land, and construct a building to hide the swamp land in the back then "forget" to reveal that information, it's still deception.  Just because no one lost any money doesn't make it any less deceptive.

Personally, I wonder if they were still operating under the assumption that TR2 would be 24 core.  Look at when TR launched, suddenly Intel went from 12 cores to 18 (which was just above the 16 cores from AMD).  It wouldn't be out of character for them to announce a 28 core part to outshine the 24 core part from AMD.

In my personal opinion, they got one-upped by AMD keeping the 32-core part under wraps until the show.

240v single phase for the win ahahah

On 6/9/2018 at 2:19 AM, leadeater said:

There are plenty of professionals in IT that cannot build a computer, know nothing about CPU architectures or GPUs who buy these systems. They are professionals in their area of expertise not all of IT.

I support researchers on multi million dollar projects that are experts in HPC computing and CUDA programming who have never touched a server in their life, that's my job not theirs. They ask me for a system with 4 Volta GPUs in it with peer-to-peer configuration, I spec it, order it, rack it, install the OS, test it then hand it over to be used.

Tech enthusiast != Profiessional

Handyman != certified builder or plumber

"So, you are an IT guy? Can you have a look at my Blu-Ray player, my alarm system, my AC unit and my toaster while you're at it and tell me what's going on with them?" :P

We all got that at one point, people assuming that "IT" makes you instantly an expert on everything with a PCB or, god forbid, a USB port xD

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

1 hour ago, Tribalinius said:

"So, you are an IT guy? Can you have a look at my Blu-Ray player, my alarm system, my AC unit and my toaster while you're at it and tell me what's going on with them?" :P

We all got that at one point, people assuming that "IT" makes you instantly an expert on everything with a PCB or, god forbid, a USB port xD

I had a old CEO think any old kid out of high school that was good at "IT" could do anything on a PC even make programs and stuff. He wanted a Intern to make a drone AI to have the drone fly indoors with crappy RF sensors. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

I think it was a show piece and is actually impressive. 28 cores at 5Ghz is nothing short of amazing.

Depends on how binned the part was and whether it was delidded. If they tested the voltage curves on 300+ Skylake-X 28 core CPUs and then delidded, it's not really impressive at all given the amount of Kaby Lakes that can hit 5.0 even without delidding.

33 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I had a old CEO think any old kid out of high school that was good at "IT" could do anything on a PC even make programs and stuff. He wanted a Intern to make a drone AI to have the drone fly indoors with crappy RF sensors. 

That summarize pretty much every old CEOs point of view when it comes to IT nowadays to be honest haha. xD

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

4 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Depends on how binned the part was and whether it was delidded. If they tested the voltage curves on 300+ Skylake-X 28 core CPUs and then delidded, it's not really impressive at all given the amount of Kaby Lakes that can hit 5.0 even without delidding.

Are you forgetting that this was all 28 cores at 5Ghz? Not just 4 cores out of the box.  It is still very impressive even knowing how highly binned it would be and the cooling required.   That is exactly why people think it's misleading.  It's too good to be true for a consumer product release in Q4

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't think Intel was promising at all that the future product would have 5Ghz or could be normally achieved, I think it was a show piece and is actually impressive. 28 cores at 5Ghz is nothing short of amazing.

Being that they confirmed it's on an existing 14nm process does mean anything on that sort of level is well above a normal overclock, won't stop anyone from trying though :).

36 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Are you forgetting that this was all 28 cores at 5Ghz? Not just 4 cores out of the box.  It is still very impressive even knowing how highly binned it would be and the cooling required.   That is exactly why people think it's misleading.  It's too good to be true for a consumer product release in Q4

Amazing and too good to be true?

https://www.techspot.com/news/75020-intel-now-capable-producing-full-silicon-wafers-quantum.html

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Not too sure I understand what that has to do with attaining 5Ghz on all 28 cores in today's production run silicon?