Intel's 28 Core 5Ghz CPU is misleading at best

RadiatingLight

Some of this was mentioned at the end of the previous thread regarding intel's 28-core CPU, but it's not in the main post, so many more people will probably see it here.

Intel's 28-core 5Ghz CPU is nothing more than extreme overclocking of an existing Xeon Platinum 8180.

Intel's demo didn't tell the full story. Many in the press mistakenly assumed the new processor runs at 5.0 GHz at stock settings, but we carefully analyzed video from the event and spotted a few obvious signs that the processor was overclocked. Intel was apparently running some sort of closed-loop cooling that required insulating material around the tubing.

Picture of Intel's crazy cooling setup:

20180606_085740

This is an $850 aquarium water chiller which consumes 1200W and is supposed to be able to cool 1000L of water -- seems pretty extreme to me.

The VRMs for this system are similarly ridiculous, with 4x8-pin EPS connectors, 32 phases, and a massive heatsink with 4 fans.

IMG_4806

finally, this CPU was also running on intel's LGA-3647 server platform, which all but confirms the fact that this is just a 28-core Xeon with an unlocked multiplier.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9BL0ovNzc2NjgzL29yaWdpbmFsL0lNR180Nzk3LkpQRw==

So in summary, Intel's 5-Ghz 28-core processor was nothing more than a feeble attempt to steal AMD's thunder in their announcement of a 32-core Threadripper CPU.

In the end, the incredible requirements for overclocking the 28-core processor, which requires hefty power and cooling accomodations, make it clear that most enthusiasts won't be pushing the limits of Intel's 28-core processor any time soon.

Additionally, it seems that someone working at AnandTech says that Intel took everyone's CPUs away:

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-processor-5ghz-motherboard,37213.html

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

So it is not a core i9?

Thats just sad.

I think everyone on this forum knew it wasnan overclocked chip that was also most likely binned

Some more info from Anandtech.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12907/we-got-a-sneak-peak-on-intels-28core-all-you-need-to-know

Was it to spoil Threadripper 2 a bit? Why not? If it was misleading at all depends on what claims were made around it, and I've not dug into that. For now, I'd regard this in a similar way to any LN2 world record reports, which is nothing as I'm not going to buy it any time soon. I'm also not going to get TR2 either.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

So it is not a core i9?

Thats just sad.

I think everyone on this forum knew it wasnan overclocked chip that was also most likely binned

in the future they might decide to put it into the LGA2066 socket if it can fit, but the system demoed was a server board, with 6-channel memory and an LGA3647 socket

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

in the future they might decide to put it into the LGA2066 socket if it can fit, but the system demoed was a server board, with 6-channel memory and an LGA3647 socket

I dont see how they can make it fit or work on LGA 2066, even if they do it going to take a while to do that when TR 2000 already has production samples. and Epyc 2 has lab samples.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

20 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

So it is not a core i9?

Or Core i9 Extreme Edition.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

would be a hard stain to rub off if it's really a smear campaign in hardware form, if it's really uncovered as such o_o

Marketing has always been a problem, both supplying and consuming. They want to make what they're doing seem better than the competition, being careful to give a certain impression that is not technically false, but isn't the whole truth either. Intel do it. AMD do it. Everyone does it. This is particularly important in halo products. Even if people never buy the things, you want to demonstrate what you can do, and people buy the low end thinking they get a related product.

Thinking about it some more, I think I'd like to see both Intel and AMD change course slightly on the HEDT zone. Rather than try to cram ever more cores into a single socket, just give us an affordable multi-socket implementation like the good old days, like the Abit BP6, or the last one I had was the Asus PC-DL. They were largely negated by the arrival of multi-core, but if you find it hard to put more cores in one socket, use more sockets. CPU cost per core should go down, at a more mild increase to mobo cost.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Everyone's going to shit on Intel for this, but it's not like AMD is any better. When they released Ryzen they cherry picked benchmarks it'd excel at, and real performance wasn't nearly as impressive. Same thing with their GPU benchmarks.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Their timing was... interesting.  They HAD to know that AMD had a 32 core TR2 out this week.  Why go through all the effort to show off a product that wasn't (5Ghz though) as good to begin with?

It does seem desperate and immature.

If anyone believed that a 28 core chip at 5GHz which could be cooled with normal method was going to be on sale when the same chip running at 3GHz costs $10K...

The VRMs had finned copper heatsinks with heatpipes which were larger than those used for the Pentium 4!

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Everyone's going to shit on Intel for this, but it's not like AMD is any better. When they released Ryzen they cherry picked benchmarks it'd excel at, and real performance wasn't nearly as impressive. Same thing with their GPU benchmarks.

Showing what your product is good at is not cheating, Cinebench is a commonly used benchmark and generally a good estimate. Companies who do not show off how good their product can be don't exist for long.

3 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Showing what your product is good at is not cheating, Cinebench is a commonly used benchmark and generally a good estimate. Companies who do not show off how good their product can be don't exist for long.

Agreed.  Cherry picking some benchmarks for a product you are selling to make it look good is one thing.  Cherry picking a CPU, Motherboard, Cooler, Firmware to unlock it and not really intending to sell it (probably) just to shit on someone else's product introduction isn't. 

4 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Ok so not cheating when AMD does essentially the same thing? Showing off how good your product is by cherry picking is cheating though. As mentioned of course this was a halo product just to show off that they could get 28 cores to 5Ghz, but I think they shouldn't have shown it off at all after the Intel event if it's just a "hey look what we did" product.

8 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Agreed.  Cherry picking some benchmarks for a product you are selling to make it look good is one thing.  Cherry picking a CPU, Motherboard, Cooler, Firmware to unlock it and not really intending to sell it (probably) just to shit on someone else's product introduction isn't. 

True. Showcasing your product is something that everyone does

18 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

If anyone believed that a 28 core chip at 5GHz which could be cooled with normal method was going to be on sale when the same chip running at 3GHz costs $10K...

The VRMs had finned copper heatsinks with heatpipes which were larger than those used for the Pentium 4!

Go see the other thread and people were already telling that TR2 is DOA because of the 28 core part from Intel...

That's a win for Intel...

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Ok so not cheating when AMD does essentially the same thing? Showing off how good your product is by cherry picking is cheating though. As mentioned of course this was a halo product just to show off that they could get 28 cores to 5Ghz, but I think they shouldn't have shown it off at all after the Intel event if it's just a "hey look what we did" product.

Cinebench is a well respected benchmark which many people use unlike standardized benchmarks like SPEC. If AMD demonstrates the performance of their new GPU in Superposition it is acceptable because it is a commonly used program.

If I show off how fast my car is by racing on a flat road on which the car's tyres are suited for (common scenario like Cinebench, Cinebench suits Ryzen well) it is more honest and reliable than attaching rockets to the car and launching it from an aircraft carrier launch system (Intel showing off a non existent product overclocked 60% and cooled with a 1000L cooler).

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Even bigger than those used for the computers on the moon lander! (/meme)

Epyc has 32 cores, the moon lander has 1 main core (maybe redundant systems), therefore my very Epic computer can land on 32 moons at once!

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Go see the other thread and people were already telling that TR2 is DOA because of the 28 core part from Intel...

They most likely had this as a proof of concept and kept it back to use as a distraction should a competitor launch a potentially good system.

27 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Showing what your product is good at is not cheating, Cinebench is a commonly used benchmark and generally a good estimate.

Cinebench is not a problem, remember the AMD guy from Bulldozer days who used to talk about how super duper the CPU was going to be before it came out? He completely vanished after the CPU's release, because everybody then knew how shit it really was.

I don't want to ditch on AMD specifically, this act of Intel is absolutely low. But they too have had their shares as far as dishonesty goes. Especially with their slides. Look at this, they cherry-picked the games the RX 560 performs better, then talked about efficiency as if it's more efficient than a 1050...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_RX_560_vs_GTX_1050/

14 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Little detail: AMD only taked about TR2 being up to 24 cores before their computex announcement, only then we learned it won't be 24 cores but 32 cores max, which happend after Intel showed off their 28-core system.

There was a time frame where we thought TR2 is 24 cores, Intel is 28 cores.

It's not clear if TR2 was meant to be 32 cores from the start or if it was a last minute change/reaction to the 28-core intel system.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

20180606_085740

this picture fucking killed me ahhahahha

i don't know why, i also use something like that to run my home PC, and i have a even bigger one at the office, i carry it with a forklift

37 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

why spend resources to pull of that stunt for "nothing of production value"?

It is a bit like concept cars. Something to show what could be done.

8 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Cinebench is not a problem, remember the AMD guy from Bulldozer days who used to talk about how super duper the CPU was going to be before it came out? He completely vanished after the CPU's release, because everybody then knew how shit it really was.

They really misjudged how well the core would scale frequency wise, due to the IPC drop it could be slower than it's predecessor. Theoretically it was a great design by removing infrequently used components but simply failed due to it's poor ST performance (They probably just then demonstrated the MT cinebench). 

Regarding Bulldozer this is quite interesting.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5057/the-bulldozer-aftermath-delving-even-deeper/9

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

They really misjudged how well the core would scale frequency wise, due to the IPC drop it could be slower than it's predecessor. Theoretically it was a great design by removing infrequently used components but simply failed due to it's poor ST performance (They probably just then demonstrated the MT cinebench). 

Regarding Bulldozer this is quite interesting.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5057/the-bulldozer-aftermath-delving-even-deeper/9

It was beyond that. It was a very inefficient architecture, and against Intel it made no sense to buy. They had Sandy Bridge at the time, hell even the older Westmere chips made much more sense to purchase. They could be bought at decent prices second hand in those days.

AMD is notorious for misleading in slides. They did that with more than one gen of GPUs, but I like them for not being as greedy as Nvidia. I.E, supporting VESA's Freesync and not getting any money from it. In fact, my next GPU is going to be a Vega. I'll be taking out my 1080 Ti for an LC, and buying a very nice Freesync monitor. :)

You have to a be a bit of an idiot to think this CPU was 5GHz stock.

Obviously it's an overclocked processor and obviously it's on "exotic" cooling. But then again, it's Tom's Hardware.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III