AMD Unveils Its 7nm Vega GPU

AtlasWraith

AMD is currently killing it (in theory) with their latest announcements. The new Threadripper is going to be a beast on its own league, but as a PC gamer, this is more important to me:

AMD will have Vega on 7nm inside of the upcoming new Radeon Instinct part, which thanks to 7nm will feature 35% more performance over the previous-gen 14nm part, with twice the power efficiency that means it can do it all with under half the power consumption.

This now means AMD is ahead of the GPU game in one area, as even Volta is only on 12nm.

I will be waiting to see real world benchmarks on these, because In my opinion, this basically means that gaming GPUs from AMD from here on out better drown NVIDIA's pascal at the bare minimum. Otherwise, they will come off as clearly not caring about gamers. And I think we already get enough of that from other sources (looking at you, EA).

P.S. (To NVIDIA) Still need more reasons to bring on the next generation GPUs?

Source:
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62147/amd-unveils-worlds-first-gpu-7nm-computex-2018/index.html

don't worry this isn't coming to the consumer market anytime soon

7 minutes ago, AtlasWraith said:

This now means AMD is ahead of the GPU game in one area, as even Volta is only on 12nm.

I will be waiting to see real world benchmarks on these, because In my opinion, this basically means that gaming GPUs from AMD from here on out better drown NVIDIA's pascal at the bare minimum. Otherwise, they will come off as clearly not caring about gamers. And I think we already get enough of that from other sources (looking at you, EA).

1. In process node, yes. In reality, no. Process node shrink couldnt help the disadvantage in efficiency of the architecture itself.

2. 7nm Vega are workstation cards only with a price tag only those using it to make money will be able to afford

3. New cards from Nvidia seems to come in July 30, and unlikely to be Pascal refresh.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I believe they are dropping consumer this year. 7nm vega is a "pipe-cleaner" for navi. Not to mention the yields are only suited for data-center to manage to turn a profit

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

don't worry this isn't coming to the consumer market anytime soon

I agree, but the feeling of hope for the power of the next consumer cards still remains. If they can destroy pascal with their new GPUs, then we'll finally have some damn competition in the market.

1 minute ago, AtlasWraith said:

I agree, but the feeling of hope for the power of the next consumer cards still remains. If they can destroy pascal with their new GPUs, then we'll finally have some damn competition in the market.

sorry but dont get your hopes up, amd is stuck with 64 cus for a while, which means that their only way to improve perf is clocks and extra instructions/more cache etc things that are harder to do, navi should be a good contender for the mid range but no more than that, maybe if they can join 2 of them together, but thats a big maybe

Can't wait to see cards that scream hot and power hungry, then for NVidia to release FINALLY release the next set of cards which will run exactly 5% faster for half the power and be $500. Because fuck NVidia. They always innovate enough and just in time to be 5% ahead of the competition, instead of actually moving the market forward.

6 minutes ago, Ildiesalot said:

They always innovate enough and just in time to be 5% ahead of the competition, instead of actually moving the market forward.

That's definitely not innovation, it's just marketing.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

33 minutes ago, AtlasWraith said:

The new Threadripper is going to be a beast on its own league, but as a PC gamer, this is more important to me:

Intel brings a 28 cores i9 that can sustain 5ghz overclock... yawns to TR2.

33 minutes ago, AtlasWraith said:

P.S. (To NVIDIA) Still need more reasons to bring on the next generation GPUs?

When you need to go as low as 7nm to have any chance of competing with the competition's 16nm... lmao nope nVidia is also yawning.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Who then panics and runs away and hides it ;).

Can do 5Ghz but only on chilled water and 32 phaes with 4 EPS 8 pin power connectors, just your average setup lol.

54 minutes ago, Ildiesalot said:

Can't wait to see cards that scream hot and power hungry, then for NVidia to release FINALLY release the next set of cards which will run exactly 5% faster for half the power and be $500. Because fuck NVidia. They always innovate enough and just in time to be 5% ahead of the competition, instead of actually moving the market forward.

So fuck Nvidia for being a business? 

People will bitch when they save money because competition isnt there, but if Nvidia went balls out, AMD wouldnt be in the game anymore and then people would bitch that Nvidia is a monopoly or that "I just bought a 1080 and a year later the 1180 come out with 20% perf boost, they're ripping me off. I JUST BOUGHT THIS!"

Make up your mind people

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

When you need to go as low as 7nm to have any chance of competing with the competition's 16nm... lmao nope nVidia is always yawning.

That Intel 28 core had some insane power delivery on the boards they're showing, hoping that isn't their next flagship i9.

AMD needs to make a GPU that doesn't suck in comparison to Nvidia's 16nm but it would probably just mean another mining boom as long as their cards are good at mining.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Who then panics and runs away and hides it ;).

Can do 5Ghz but only on chilled water and 32 phaes with 4 EPS 8 pin power connectors, just your average setup lol.

I know I'm just sayin' while first gen Ryzen completely ran over Intel and put to an end their abusive HEDT practices where you'd have to sell an arm and a leg for 6 cores / 8 cores CPUs nowadays things are quite back on track... so it's silly act like AMD is constantly changing the game.

I didn't even really mind that part much, it's more about this 7nm Navi that more often than not people seem to over-exaggerate how good these GPUs are going to be, they act like it's a complete deal change that will destroy nVidia much in the same fashion(or even more) first gen Ryzen managed to against Intel... and we know there's no miracle.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I know I'm just sayin' while first gen Ryzen completely ran over Intel and put to an end their abusive HEDT practices where you'd have to sell an arm and a leg for 6 cores / 8 cores CPUs nowadays things are quite back on track... so it's silly act like AMD is constantly changing the game.

Eh, it would be mildly impressive if this 28c HEDT CPU was actually going to be a thing. Very much doubt it, just a PR stunt. Would have rather just seen it on a normal AIO or custom loop with a mild OC, then it would at least be worth talking about in the context of something achievable and performance to aspire to.

Intel right now for HEDT has 7980XE and that's it, there is nothing on a short term road map to compete with 32 core TR2. Not that I think the 32 core TR2 is a good buy or a balanced product but it has one thing over Intel, it's real and can be purchased soon (ish).

7nm Vega is basically the same story, it's for datacenter only, costs an arm and a leg, won't be any better at gaming, will still use a fair wack of power pushed to its max 64 CU max clocks. 7nm Navi is probably going to be better but it doesn't need to match Pascal it needs to match what ever is after it and it needs to do it without all the pitfalls of current Vega or it's going right back to being ignored.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

7nm Navi is probably going to be better but it doesn't need to match Pascal it needs to match what ever is after it 

This is key and a thing companies often goof up.  Successful companies shoot for where their competitors will be, not where their competitors are.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 minute ago, jasonvp said:

This is key and a thing companies often goof up.  Successful companies shoot for where their competitors will be, not where their competitors are.

And the top 1% compete against themselves ;)

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

If you aim for double the best of what your competitor has then you at least won't be massively behind, Vega being hyped as faster than 1080 at the start was fine when it was current and new but after a year the hype should have been 2x 1080 Ti (and deliver it).

38 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

When you need to go as low as 7nm to have any chance of competing with the competition's 16nm... lmao nope nVidia is also yawning.

Well if you get threadripper at 4.3-4Ghz with 32 cores at half the price, threadripper2 will crush Intel even more. (The clock scaling as we have already seen depends less on core count on Amd's side.)

52 minutes ago, Ildiesalot said:

It's almost like Nvidia is a company with the interests of its shareholders in mind over those of the sheep gamers who still buy whatever they dump onto the market 9_9.

It is like the rushed 8th gen intel. A direct response to the other side. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

2 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

It is like the rushed 8th gen intel. A direct response to the other side. 

That is basically confirmed at this point, when the low end boards started to release was when 8th gen was originally scheduled 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

38 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

It's almost like Nvidia is a company with the interests of its shareholders in mind over those of the sheep gamers who still buy whatever they dump onto the market 9_9.

Well maybe this will finally give AMD the push it needs to become competitive, and we can actually start seeing a healthier market.

Of course, probably not.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

@Princess Cadence Unfortunately that's not a thing anymore >:(

1 hour ago, Pangea2017 said:

35% faster marketing is bad. Reality will be some where between 10-20. Paired with the bad vega performance this does not look like they will be better then the 10 series of nvidia.

Just look at intel what upto x times faster means.

'Bad performance'
Small reminder that the performance wasn't what made Vega bad, it was the power consumption and price.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

@Princess Cadence Unfortunately that's not a thing anymore >:(

You gotta think that whoever pushed that internally in Intel is either currently getting slapped upside the head or soon will be.